2016 heat reduction kit

• I would probably doubt that there are still any SlingShots out there that have not yet been modified, but just for FYI I did find somebody selling these kits. The asking price is more than the original kits originally sold for, but it is still cheaper than buying the parts separately.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polar…c80ebc:g:eLUAAOSwgFld5UOI

This kit is for the 2016, the 2015 kit included a smaller battery as used in current models to offset the weight of this kit. (We did add the muffler heat shield to our 2015, but not the radiator shroud nor the battery.)

I apologize that this is from one of the other forums, but for nostalgia, here is more information of what we were experiencing back in the day this kit first was introduced:

https://www.slingshotforums.co…sed-the-heat-issue.11765/

Bill

• Have no doubt my friend - my 2016 is still factory stock and I have never even given much if any thought to doing this mod.

I do appreciate the information, but at this point the wife has never complained about the heat and with the double bubble windshields I installed earlier this year even my feet stay reasonable cool

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• It seems that not everyone has done this install as you presume. I for one have never even though about doing this type of install. You would be a lot better off getting some air flow in the cockpit. I did spend a few miles behind a +6 inch wind screen this past summer and it was like riding in an oven, and Oh this was with no top. Just so people would know.

• I picked up my 2016 model last summer and this was one of the first things that I did. Huge improvement in comfort level for my wife riding over on the passenger side.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Neither of my slings have that installed, to be honest never thought it was needed, but I don't use stock exhaust which might be the heat generating part.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Neither of my slings have that installed, to be honest never thought it was needed, but I don't use stock exhaust which might be the heat generating part.

I did the cat delete as soon as it was available, I had already know that the miles per gallon and power would increase from doing the same to some of my Chev. cars and a Ford pickup. DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOUR GOVERNMENT AND AUTO INDUSTRY TELLS YOU. You are paying for it every time you fill up with ethanol gas also.

• As FunCycle said....adding air flow will help a lot. There should be several threads on that topic.

Yep, soon to follow the heat kit were baker air wings to get more air flowing into the passenger area. Between the two she was much happier riding with me (at least until the weather cooled and she asked about how to take it back off....

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I did the cat delete as soon as it was available, I had already know that the miles per gallon and power would increase from doing the same to some of my Chev. cars and a Ford pickup. DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOUR GOVERNMENT AND AUTO INDUSTRY TELLS YOU. You are paying for it every time you fill up with ethanol gas also.

Here in California it is almost impossible to find ethanol free gas - - almost all gas is 10% ethanol

having said this I can only recall one time where I have even seen E-85 available here, I am sure there are other places, but gas that is more than 10% is not common at all from what I have seen

• We installed the muffler heat shield, and the GM exhaust manifold shield, which did help in keeping the upper engine compartment area cooler. Another reason to install the muffler heat shield was because of the mufflers close proximity to the OEM plastic coolant surge tank.

Bill

• We installed the muffler heat shield, and the GM exhaust manifold shield, which did help in keeping the upper engine compartment area cooler. Another reason to install the muffler heat shield was because of the mufflers close proximity to the OEM plastic coolant surge tank.

Bill

I think I would rather change out the muffler first

Bill

But that is not the problem with the tank!

• The stock muffler does it's job just fine, well, to be totally truthful, we wish it would have been a lil quieter, but the reality is that that is not going to happen...............................

Bill

For those that have been around here a while you have heard me say more than once that the stock muffler with the cat delete is the best sounding system out there. I now also have a stock muffler that I have bypassed the internal cat, but I have not installed it yet on Sling II. It is easy to do. Sorry no pictures! I think Ruptured Duck has been running this for quite a few miles.

• But that is not the problem with the tank!

Really? Then why after the 2016.5s came out with the muffler heat shield that the problems with the coolant tank cracking practically went away? I cannot remember the last time I have read anybody bringing that topic up? Personal experience is that before the heat shield and after an extended ride I could not even put my hand on the surge tank, after installing the heat shield, the tank was still obviously somewhat warm from engine heat, but not anything like the untouchably hot it used to be?

Bill

• Knock on wood - but my coolant tank has been fine - its over three years old now and this is without the added shielding in a place where it is regularly well over 100 degrees - I suspect that my under the hood temps are probably some of the highest on a NA sling just because of where i live and ride

• Really? Then why after the 2016.5s came out with the muffler heat shield that the problems with the coolant tank cracking practically went away? I cannot remember the last time I have read anybody bringing that topic up? Personal experience is that before the heat shield and after an extended ride I could not even put my hand on the surge tank, after installing the heat shield, the tank was still obviously somewhat warm from engine heat, but not anything like the untouchably hot it used to be?

Bill

The main reason was the the mounting tabs on the firewall were to close together by about 4/16 to 5/16 of an inch putting pressure on the tank and it would split at the seam. Yea, ask me how I know?