2016 heat reduction kit

• the tanks leak because the orange antifreeze is eating the tank seam. Not exhaust heat.

if this were the case wouldn't every tank fail?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I understand about the mounting being "tight", but you are absolutely convinced that the added direct heat from the muffler made no contribution?

Bill

I reckon it could in a lot of miles with the heat, also how many failures do you see in many thousand of miles in a car or truck, but not in just a few thousand miles and failing at the seam. In the 2015's we were talking about a lot less that 5,000 miles

• I reckon it could in a lot of miles with the heat, also how many failures do you see in many thousand of miles in a car or truck, but not in just a few thousand miles and failing at the seam. In the 2015's we were talking about a lot less that 5,000 miles

I understand, but in other cars and trucks the surge tank is not installed immediately adjacent to the exhaust system such as the SlingShot. It still influences my way of thinking that the 2015 and 16's had a constant complaint about surge tank failure, but when the muffler shield was introduced on the 2016.5 model these complaints appeared to be reduced dramatically.

Bill

• I understand, but in other cars and trucks the surge tank is not installed immediately adjacent to the exhaust system such as the SlingShot. It still influences my way of thinking that the 2015 and 16's had a constant complaint about surge tank failure, but when the muffler shield was introduced on the 2016.5 model these complaints appeared to be reduced dramatically.

Bill

Believe what you want to, enough said!

• I’m guessing the surge tank plastic halves are either glued or melted together.

That said, I’ll add this ....

“Exhaust system temperatures

While the average temperature for the exhaust is 300 to 500 degrees, you still can experience temperatures as high as 1200 whenever there is a constriction in the exhaust system. You should be on the lookout for bends on the exhaust pipe. Due to contact with other cooler parts of the car the exhaust gets an opportunity to cool down.

The catalytic converter often reaches a temperature of 750 degrees. However, if you have more of unburned gases leaving the combustion chamber or one of the cylinders is not working you will experience a tremendous increase in temperature.

The exhaust pipe muffler temperatures reach their peak when the car is on the road rather than when it’s idle. This is due to the high rpm; however, temperatures can also rise due to inefficient combustion of gases.”

So the pot belly stove in close proximity of the surge tank probably could be a contributing factor to surge tank leaks.

but don't forget the orange antifreeze is acid.

https://mechanicbase.com/engin…does-an-exhaust-pipe-get/

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/coolant-color/

“What exactly is Dexcool?

In the 1990s GM introduced an engine coolant called Dexcool. It's supposed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles but there have been problems with this coolant. Cooling systems that use Dexcool exhibit more acid buildup and rust in the system when the coolant level gets low and oxygen is allowed to enter the system. The acid eats away at head gaskets and intake gaskets. Rust builds up in the system, inhibiting coolant flow, which causes overheating.”

If it can eat gaskets it can eat plastic surge tank seams.

• IMO, the location of the coolant tank is too coincidental for heat not to be at least part of the problem. Warm climate owners like Edward and myself were forced to attack the cockpit heat problem shortly after purchasing. The stock pot belly stove exhaust is one of the first areas to shield which in turn reduces heat radiating the coolant tank. My stock tank is still installed with no issues.

• For those that have been around here a while you have heard me say more than once that the stock muffler with the cat delete is the best sounding system out there. I now also have a stock muffler that I have bypassed the internal cat, but I have not installed it yet on Sling II. It is easy to do. Sorry no pictures! I think Ruptured Duck has been running this for quite a few miles.

about 20,000 miles. Sounds good and also low cost if you can do some cutting, welding... ;)

Heat dropped off to acceptable levels with the 2nd CAT not heating the muffler up. The 16.5 heat management system (radiator shield and muffler hear shield) also work great.

Side note. No overflow tank issues ever despite the orange acid I didn't realize we have all been running... Go figure.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: