DDMWorks three-way shock issue

• Finally had enough time to install my new shocks. Started at the rear. Top was a bear but fit fine. Then went to bolt up the bottom and discovered that the bottom bushing/mount on the factory shock is a good bit wider (about 3mm) than the DDMWorks shock, so the bracket opening is too wide. I could just torque it down and compress the sides of the bracket but I really don't think that's a good idea.. I measured the front shocks and it's the same deal. The stock shock lower mount is about 3mm wide than the ddmworks. What am I missing? Dave@DDMWorks ?

• And just to head off any suggestions that I have the wrong spacers on the wrong end of the shock, the top spacer/mount width on the DDMworks shock is about 29.5mm, which is the same as the factory shock. The bottom mount is 32.5mm, so the larger spacers are on the bottom where they should be. The issue is that on stock shock that bottom mount is about 35mm wide, so the width of the bracket opening is too.

• And just to head off any suggestions that I have the wrong spacers on the wrong end of the shock, the top spacer/mount width on the DDMworks shock is about 29.5mm, which is the same as the factory shock. The bottom mount is 32.5mm, so the larger spacers are on the bottom where they should be. The issue is that on stock shock that bottom mount is about 35mm wide, so the width of the bracket opening is too.

Right the stock bracket, inside is 35.2 mm - 35.4 mm

• Fortunately, I have a CNC router that can mill aluminum, so I can make some 1.25mm spacers and stick one on each side of the shock mount to take up that 2.5mm of empty space, but I want to wait until Dave@DDMWorks chimes in or I can reach their tech support (closed today)..

Edited once, last by SZurlo: Correction ().

• Fortunately, I have a CNC router that can mill aluminum, so I can make some 1.75mm spacers and stick one on each side of the shock mount to take up that 2.5mm of empty space, but I want to wait until Dave@DDMWorks chimes in or I can reach their tech support (closed today)..

35.5 mm at the fold, 35.2 at the bolthole with JRI/stock shocks bolted in

• Can’t remember if washers came with the shocks or not however I used these two washers. Ace hardware stainless steel. I say this because any time I have the chance I always replace/use stainless. No mild steel 👎🏼

You are going to LOVE these shocks!

Hope this helps 🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Can’t remember if washers came with the shocks or not however I used these two washers. Ace hardware stainless steel. I say this because any time I have the chance I always replace/use stainless. No mild steel 👎🏼

You are going to LOVE these shocks!

Hope this helps 🙂

Lowe's has a petty good selection of stainless hardware. I'll check them. Thanks.

• Got cha!

I love this... Cheep and all the green stock bolts ( that have yet to be changed out to stainless) I paint. Think it makes a much cleaner look. There are ton's of 'em and the ones that are not painted I put black caps over.

Welcome to the party!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I love your homemade spacers, but I don't like that you had to make them - - - I am very surprised that DDM did not provide bushings that fit properly without the need for DIY spacers or washers

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I love your homemade spacers, but I don't like that you had to make them - - - I am very surprised that DDM did not provide bushings that fit properly without the need for DIY spacers or washers

Maybe something changed with the lower shock mounts in 2019. Of course SoCal had to use washers, too. Not sure what year his is. The top mounts fit perfectly, no spacers needed. At any rate, I made 6 spacers and got the shocks installed. Set them at the stock ride height and adjusted the comp and rebound for softer "around town" ride. WAY better than the stock shocks. Heck, most of the rattles and clunks I used to hear when I went over bumps have even stopped!

• Maybe something changed with the lower shock mounts in 2019. Of course SoCal had to use washers, too. Not sure what year his is. The top mounts fit perfectly, no spacers needed. At any rate, I made 6 spacers and got the shocks installed. Set them at the stock ride height and adjusted the comp and rebound for softer "around town" ride. WAY better than the stock shocks. Heck, most of the rattles and clunks I used to hear when I went over bumps have even stopped!

If you want to get rid of more of the rattles and clunks I highly recommend that you replace the stock sway bar mounts with the DDM sway bar mounts - the stock ones are hard plastic and they transmit every little noise right to the frame. The DDM urethane mounts are much better - - - oh and if you do this might as well change the sway bar to a DDM as well and finish off the suspension mods properly

:00005129:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If you want to get rid of more of the rattles and clunks I highly recommend that you replace the stock sway bar mounts with the DDM sway bar mounts - the stock ones are hard plastic and they transmit every little noise right to the frame. The DDM urethane mounts are much better - - - oh and if you do this might as well change the sway bar to a DDM as well and finish off the suspension mods properly

:00005129:

Sigh... I think I'm going to see if I can get a vanity plate for my sling that says "Cha-Ching".