DDMWorks three-way shock issue

• Maybe something changed with the lower shock mounts in 2019. Of course SoCal had to use washers, too. Not sure what year his is. The top mounts fit perfectly, no spacers needed. At any rate, I made 6 spacers and got the shocks installed. Set them at the stock ride height and adjusted the comp and rebound for softer "around town" ride. WAY better than the stock shocks. Heck, most of the rattles and clunks I used to hear when I went over bumps have even stopped!

SZurlo mine is a 2016. Just checking but did you swap the spacers as you are actually installing the shock upside down?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Not sure what you mean by "upside down". They are installed in the same orientation as the factory shock with the body at the bottom and the piston at the top. I didn't swap the spacers. The top spacers are thinner than the bottom ones. If I swapped them then the top would have been too wide to fit in the mount and the bottom would have had ever a larger gap than it did.

• Not sure what you mean by "upside down". They are installed in the same orientation as the factory shock with the body at the bottom and the piston at the top. I didn't swap the spacers. The top spacers are thinner than the bottom ones. If I swapped them then the top would have been too wide to fit in the mount and the bottom would have had ever a larger gap than it did.

Brain fart - I was thinking JRI - sorry. JRI shocks you have to switch the upper and lower bushings to install the rear shock so the adjustment is on the outside or the bottom by the swingarm.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Sigh... I think I'm going to see if I can get a vanity plate for my sling that says "Cha-Ching".

no! - don't spend money on a vanity plate when you could spend that money on real mods!!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• no! - don't spend money on a vanity plate when you could spend that money on real mods!!

Sometimes it's fun to have a vanity plate.... Sling 1 Indiana I have the first Slingshot registered in the State of Indiana. (that's a little lie-----I did have the first, but now I'm in my second Slingshot but still carry the Sling 1 plate.) And yes it costs me about $50.00 a year …..

• Sometimes it's fun to have a vanity plate.... Sling 1 Indiana I have the first Slingshot registered in the State of Indiana. (that's a little lie-----I did have the first, but now I'm in my second Slingshot but still carry the Sling 1 plate.) And yes it costs me about $50.00 a year …..

Actually, I've got a veteran plate now. Probably wouldn't give that up even if I could get "Cha-Ching" :)

• Sometimes it's fun to have a vanity plate.... Sling 1 Indiana I have the first Slingshot registered in the State of Indiana. (that's a little lie-----I did have the first, but now I'm in my second Slingshot but still carry the Sling 1 plate.) And yes it costs me about $50.00 a year …..

Yea - I did think about it - "RED SL" is even available, but I just cant bring myself to sign up for the never ending payments just to have something that the people behind me might read - - if its that important I can just get a license plate frame that says the same thing

• As aside note I did have a vanity plate many years ago when I owned a Jeep - - "EDSYEEP"

when people asked why it was "yeep" I told them it was a Swedish Jeep 8o

• I could be wrong, but it is also my understanding that twin tube coilovers like the DDM's should not be mounted upside down. The JRI's are mono tube's and can be mounted in any direction

• I could be wrong, but it is also my understanding that twin tube coilovers like the DDM's should not be mounted upside down. The JRI's are mono tube's and can be mounted in any direction

You can technically mount our shocks upside down and they would work, not all twin tubes can do that though. However, our shocks can not be mounted upside down because of the spring mounts will prevent it.

• Maybe something changed with the lower shock mounts in 2019. Of course SoCal had to use washers, too. Not sure what year his is. The top mounts fit perfectly, no spacers needed. At any rate, I made 6 spacers and got the shocks installed. Set them at the stock ride height and adjusted the comp and rebound for softer "around town" ride. WAY better than the stock shocks. Heck, most of the rattles and clunks I used to hear when I went over bumps have even stopped!

Glad you are enjoying the shocks, they work great. :)

It took a couple days, but I was able to figure out what happened. As you said, the top of the shocks are perfect, but the lower mount is off. The lower shock mount on the stock shock measures 1.4" wide, our shocks with the 2 spacers measures 1.3" wide. I checked and measured the spacers from the latest batch and they are .05" narrower than called out on the drawings, not sure what happened, but working with the machine shop now to get it corrected and new ones made. We should have those pretty quickly and can send anyone out a set that would like them.

Dave

• Glad you are enjoying the shocks, they work great. :)

It took a couple days, but I was able to figure out what happened. As you said, the top of the shocks are perfect, but the lower mount is off. The lower shock mount on the stock shock measures 1.4" wide, our shocks with the 2 spacers measures 1.3" wide. I checked and measured the spacers from the latest batch and they are .05" narrower than called out on the drawings, not sure what happened, but working with the machine shop now to get it corrected and new ones made. We should have those pretty quickly and can send anyone out a set that would like them.

Dave

Thanks much for the follow up. The spacers I made are made of 6061-T6 aluminum. I'm not sure how that compares in hardness to your spacers. Afraid mine might compress from being torqued down. I think I'd feel better about the whole installation if I could pitch my spacers and get a set of the correctly sized ones from DDMWWorks.

• Thanks much for the follow up. The spacers I made are made of 6061-T6 aluminum. I'm not sure how that compares in hardness to your spacers. Afraid mine might compress from being torqued down. I think I'd feel better about the whole installation if I could pitch my spacers and get a set of the correctly sized ones from DDMWWorks.

The spacers are 60601-T6 that we provide, so you should have no problems, but once we get the new ones in, we will be happy to ship some replacements out to you. :thumbup: