Jump Ship

• Whenever a business or doctor or whatever wants my phone number I always give our landline number. My cell is for family and friends. If someone I don’t know calls my cell I know it’s a sales call or some other bs and ignore it

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

I thought I was the last person in the USA to ditch the landline! That was 2-3 years ago, and no worries or problems. Not saying something couldn't happen that I could use it... (think "nuke, detonated the precise miles above the surface in my range"), but it that should happen, I'll know very soon! Kudos to you! Not sure if you are a survivor, or just hanging on to the old stuff "because". I did for years. My landline eventually became a "non use" or a "message delete" phone. I got very tired of both, and instead of deleting the messages, I deleted the phone. May not work for everyone, including you. It has worked for me....

If a nuke hits in any way, I lose my cell. That is the least of my worries. Whenever a business wants my number, I decide if they get it. If my doctor wants it, why not give it to them? If a problem, they can be blocked, but if they have your best interest... why would you want to? If not, why deal with them?

Happy with just cell phone here. If it all goes south, I'll shut it off and anyone is welcome to come find me..... I'll be watching at that point ;). Just saying....

• They keep making phones bigger. I always put my phone in my back pocket. I've been buying Wrangler jeans my whole life. Just bought a new pair of jeans and the phone sticks out the pocket at least 2 in. it was fine in my old pair? Great set-up for a pick-pocket. So phones get bigger & pockets get smaller.

Does anyone know what that mysterious pocket in the front is for? The little pocket no one uses that they could have eliminated to cut cost instead of reducing back pocket material.

For a pocket watch, and they also make a knife that will fit that pocket. I have one.

• We use VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) from http://www.phonepower.com for our home phone. I also have that number routed thru NoMoRobo to automatically reject most robocalls. We typically don't answer it unless we hear it is someone we actually want to talk to. Our message specifically says we won't answer if we don't recognize the number or Caller ID and they should leave a message and we will call them back, MAYBE. We actually check the messages on the answering machine/wireless phone every 2-4 weeks, if we remember to do so. Our home phone number and our cells numbers are on the National Do Not Call Registry

On my old cellphone, I assigned a specific ringtone to each Contact (person or business) number I knew I would want to talk to. I would have preferred to have just created a Group and assigned the ringtone to that Group, but my phone didn't support that capability. If I got a call that didn't have the correct ringtone, I just ignored it and would later check to see if there was a pertinent voicemail. If they leave me a silly message like offering to reduce the payments on the student loans I never had, I then block the number. I hope there's not a limit on how many numbers I can block!

I still need to figure out if I can assign a specific ringtone to a Group on my new cellphone.

Unfortunately, there is now a technology that allows voicemails to be planted on my cell w/o my phone ever ringing. Those perps get blocked, too!

• What does 3G, 4G, 5G even mean? I hate the cell phone, I have lived decades without one and content to continue doing so! To expect me to be at somebody's beckoned call 24 hours a day, no matter where I am at, is so inconsiderate. Nothing pisses me off more than to be talking to somebody when their smart phones rings and I am immediately put on ignore so they can answer it. People worry about invasion of privacy and here they carry the worst offender with them all of the time! A primary reason for having an answering machine on the home phone where if it is important enough the caller will leave a message and I will return the call, if I even choose to, at my convenience. My cell phones home is in the vehicle in case of an emergency while traveling back and forth to work...................otherwise, if anybody wants to get a hold of me it can typically wait until after I get home.

Bill

• My wife’s work just switched to a new payroll company and they are requiring all employees to use a phone app to verify the hours worked each pay period on the app before the pay will be given. You don’t get paid until you have done this. No exceptions, you must use the app.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My wife’s work just switched to a new payroll company and they are requiring all employees to use a phone app to verify the hours worked each pay period on the app before the pay will be given. You don’t get paid until you have done this. No exceptions, you must use the app.

I remember implementing a new payroll reporting process for a network installation company I worked for back in my corporate controller days. Instead of just reporting total hours for the day, I required each field tech to break their entire day down into 15 minute increments and report as office/warehouse time, travel time, and the exact amount of time on each job so I could accurately job cost. When one of the techs completed his for the first day he handed it to me and said he was done. When I told him this would be ongoing he looked at me and asked, 'you want us to do this EVERY day?' I said, absolutely not. Just the days you want to be paid for. I got 100% compliance.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I remember implementing a new payroll reporting process for a network installation company I worked for back in my corporate controller days. Instead of just reporting total hours for the day, I required each field tech to break their entire day down into 15 minute increments and report as office/warehouse time, travel time, and the exact amount of time on each job so I could accurately job cost. When one of the techs completed his for the first day he handed it to me and said he was done. When I told him this would be ongoing he looked at me and asked, 'you want us to do this EVERY day?' I said, absolutely not. Just the days you want to be paid for. I got 100% compliance.

My wife's employer is one of our local indian tribes, she is table games dealer, as such when she is at work she is technically working for an employer in a different nation and the rules are what the Indians choose them to be - as such there really isnt any point in complaining - if the Indians want to require all employees to use a smart phone that will run the app then thats what you must do if you wish to work there - - dont get me wrong, the Indians she works for are a fantastic and fair employer, its just that their rules are not subject to being overruled lawyers - you cant take them to court if you don't like something or for much of anything else - - - if you have a problem at work the only place you can go to ask for help would be the Tribal Counsel

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• [quote='Frankie55','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8607-jump-ship/&postID=289930#post289930']

They keep making phones bigger. I always put my phone in my back pocket. I've been buying Wrangler jeans my whole life. Just bought a new pair of jeans and the phone sticks out the pocket at least 2 in. it was fine in my old pair? Great set-up for a pick-pocket. So phones get bigger & pockets get smaller.

Does anyone know what that mysterious pocket in the front is for? The little pocket no one uses that they could have eliminated to cut cost instead of reducing back pocket material.

[/quote]

It is called a watch pocket. That is where I park my pocket watch when I carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter