Sling Maintenance

• For me this is the kind of thing where you have to weigh convince against possible cost.

Many years ago I had a motor home with dual rear wheels , it was difficult to check the air pressure on the inside tire so I bought a set of extension hoses which made it much easier.

Every thing was good until a piece of road debris damage a hose which ended up costing me a tire. Every since I think twice before preforming this sort of mod . The odds are very low that the valve would fail in some way or get knocked off but if it did and it happened at speed it could cost an engine. Besides I just use a four inch tall pan to slide under the sling and remove the plug from the top . Pretty easy as it is :)

• For me this is the kind of thing where you have to weigh convince against possible cost.

Many years ago I had a motor home with dual rear wheels , it was difficult to check the air pressure on the inside tire so I bought a set of extension hoses which made it much easier.

Every thing was good until a piece of road debris damage a hose which ended up costing me a tire. Every since I think twice before preforming this sort of mod . The odds are very low that the valve would fail in some way or get knocked off but if it did and it happened at speed it could cost an engine. Besides I just use a four inch tall pan to slide under the sling and remove the plug from the top . Pretty easy as it is :)

Totally get it and agree. However I do have the plastic safety clip on it as well. All in all I do like the convenience as I am not as nimble as in the past. Rollin' the dice on this one :)

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• No worries here and no catastrophic failures. It's just for me some times simpler is better and as I said I don't personally have a need for this

DER, this has the Bigdog seal of approval, and you're the one talking catastrophic failure? Come on.

• Pull a bolt twice a year. Check!

Reach down with my index finger and open a Valve. Reach down again, close it. I like this. It was the socket/wrench that made ME want simplicity. That’s what makes this journey we’re all on with the sling so cool - individuality 🙂

• Reach down with my index finger and open a Valve. Reach down again, close it. I like this. It was the socket/wrench that made ME want simplicity. That’s what makes this journey we’re all on with the sling so cool - individuality 🙂

I enjoy the 2 hour drive to Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL and visiting with the 'crew' while they do all the twisting and turning.... Than a nice two hour ride home.

• used mine twice now.....I can change my oil without jacking up my slingshot and crawling under it.....but the oil drains pretty slowly...

Same thing here. I've had it on both of my SS. But yes, it drains REALLLLLLY SLOWLY. I've even warmed up the engine to see if it would drain faster (not while draining - before I started). I open the valve, grab a beer, change the oil filter, finish a beer, perform some other mod, grab a 2nd beer, etc. It takes at least 30 mins to drain the 5 qts. Then close the valve, pull the pan, put on blue plastic locking clip, and then refill engine.

The only thing I worried about was over-tightening the valve during installation, being that it is soft brass. I just went down until it was gud-n-snug without over tightening it.

• I will admit it’s a pain to remove and install the plastic safety clip .... took more time to do that than it would take yo remove the drain plug.

but that said I just sold a van that had a stripped oil pan drain plug. I had planned on putting a fomoto drain valve in it to keep it from stripping anymore.
    so adding it to the SS now eliminates that problem. That is probably the biggest plus.

• chavey2 Same thing here. I've had it on both of my SS. But yes, it drains REALLLLLLY SLOWLY

I have to comment on this for others and drive chavey2 point home. THIS time I did not wait to see if it was all drained. 30 min is enough right? NO!

I ended up draining out about 1.5 quarts of oil after the fill because of the overfill. Totally boneheaded out on this one. SOOOO glad I checked and rechecked the stick after. This might be a 3rd beverage oil change job.

• as mentioned....open the drain plug right away....

then you can change the filter and get the oil and anything else you need while it drains.

I thought it would help to have my front end facing down the driveway.....it didn’t help at all maybe I got a tiny bit more oil out of it. Oh and by having the slingshot facing down the driveway I had to jack it up slightly to get my drain pan under the oil pan.

at least 5 minutes to get the clip off and another 10 minutes to get it back on.....