Status of our friend in the UK, UK_Paul

• I’m sure our longtime members have been wondering about our friend with one of the very few Slingshots in England, UK_Paul. Those of you who don’t know Paul, please look up his threads and read about his Slingshot adventures! There are lots of pics of places in England and Ireland that we probably won’t be able to take our Slings to but wish we could.

Paul and his wife have had several health issues they have been dealing with. I emailed Paul to see how they have been doing and received the message Paul said I could attach below:

Hi mate!

I've had a pretty rough time and I haven't ridden the Slingshot for over a year now.

To be honest, things got pretty bad, earlier this year & I wanted to give up, but that's now history. The heart opperation went well and I feel much better than before I went in for it (apparently they had given me about 4 weeks, during which they expected me to have a major trauma). To top all of that, my wife had a heart attack, a few days before my bypass opp..

I'm now recovering and last week I achieved doing some work on the Slingshot. (Just replacing the battery earth strap). It took me half a day to do a 10 min job... but I did it all myself. That was a great sence of achievement.

You will also know that I'm waiting to go on the British kidney & pancreas transplant list. This is free in the UK, but will need someone apropriate to die first, before I get the job done. I had been removed from this list, untill I had the heart opp but get re assed for the list on the 6# December (hopefully good news will follow).

Back to the Slingshot: in the UK all vehicles over 3 years old must have an "MOT test" for roadworthyness. My one now needs this, so I have a biker friend that is going to help prepare the SS for this. Unfortunately I'm still not strong enough to do all the work myself, as I'm not strong enough.

I have not given up on the forum, it's just been a little too difficult for me & I had no slingshot news to post. I do hope to be back soon.

You are free to post any/all of the information above, on the site (I have nothing to hide or worry about). Yes I'm still very I'll, but I'm slowly getting better.

Please pass on my very best regards to all the lovely members, on the site. I suspect that when i return (hopefully soon) i will place a posting in the "New Members" section reintroducing myself, as it's been so long.

All the very, very best, from,

UK_Paul

AKA: Paul Andrews.

As you can see Paul has had difficulties that most of us have not had to deal with. Let’s all keep them, and all our Slingshot family members, in our prayers and help them keep their spirits up.

Paul’s email address is p_andrews@btinternet.com. And if your going to be in England I’m sure a visit would be appreciated. :)

• Thanks for reaching out and posting this dangerdarrell , I was just thinking about UK_Paul yesterday. For anyone who has not followed Paul's threads, he has a laundry list of ailments that would kill Superman and Iron Man combined.

The most poignant sentence in his post for me is:

To be honest, things got pretty bad, earlier this year & I wanted to give up, but that's now history.

This tells me he has beat whatever demons his mind has faced as his body rebels. Hopefully he'll make back to riding and living again. Paul has a wonderful talent for telling a story and photography, and following his trips through England with his bride and his Slingshot might be the closest I ever get to travelling in that country. We chatted when he bought one of my rear plates, becoming the first European owner of my product (I also have one in Belgium with philip_mustang - where have you been good sir?).

I will definitely send an email to Paul today. I know he will appreciate the encouragement and contact. If any of you have a moment to do the same I know it will be appreciated. He is an elite member of the Slingshot community!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Tnx from me to dangerdarrell

Have thought of him on several occasions but expected no news was good news. He has survived a lot of bad luck the last few years but always manages to get back on top. One can have nothing but respect for that guy.

As for me SlingLow , All goes well out here in small Belgium. Just way to busy with work and family the last months.

So the forum has been neglected a bit. Because I know when I get on I want to catch up with what I missed. When you're on the forum time really flies and you spent a lot more time than one intented. Therefor I kinda signed off for a while

Only drove the sling about 10 times I guess this year. Went only to 1 meeting with the sling. Didn't even go out once with the stang and the mustang friends :(

Another big reason for putting the sling aside a bit is that we bought a boat. My wife has been crazy about that for a couple of years now and this is something the whole family enjoys where the SS/mustang is more for my private pleasure.

So when the weather is good we usually spend the time on the water instead of on the road.

Life can be tough when you got to make choices like this.

But all the above is off course nothing compared to what UK_Paul has been through the last months.

Hope everything turns out great for him and that he can once again enjoy driving his sling, together with his wife, in that fabulous english weather!!

• Thanks for the update on my friend, Paul of the UK. I did many Photo Projects of his Fantastic Slingshot. I am truly sorry for all his discomfort and wish for a speedy recovery. Paul, you have many friends that are praying that you get a better deal and advance to cured!! Good Luck Mate!!

A view of Paul's beautiful Slingshot on a Fall Background.

This was a Project that Paul wanted for a Website he frequented.

• Hi Eveyone !

It's been a long time, but with the inspiration of dangerdarrell it's time to post a note or two.

First off, an update on the earth lead , mentioned in my note, at the start. I will post a note (some day soon ) with regards to this in my normal thread, "UK_Paul' Slingshot Build...." You may all find it of use, as I found a manufacturing fault that may apply to other Slingshots (but then it may just be my one, who knows).

With regards to myself:

I've had a rough year. Some of you will know the full "washing list" as mentioned in a previous posting. But without going through it all, I have many, type 1, diabetic complications, that all appeared to kick in at once, after about 40 years of no medical related problems.

This lead to my body turning on itself and I had multiple organ failures, but survived that, of a fashion. It was decided that my kidneys were too damaged and that they needed replacing. I got over the liver failure, heart failure, pneumonia and the other stuff, so they decided to check me out and see if I could manage a multiple transplant of kidney and pancreas.

These tests showed problems with my heart and I was also experiencing vision problems. A surgical opperation was required in one eye injections and ongoing in both. Today I had an update on the eyes and found that I may be in a position where I I no longer able to drive, but more on that in a few weeks.

I required a heart bypass. That was carried out just fine, and I'm now going through what gets referred to as rehabilitation, over here. That's all going well.

I am now also on daily dialysis. I probably started that, just in time, as I ended up totaly bed bound, for some time and it was then I started to go down hill with my mental attitude. Elaine (my wife's) heart attack pushed me still further down, just before my heart opp. and that was when I hit rock bottom.

It's times like that when you find how good friends can be. A phone call to a mate that I first met, at the end of my teenage years, and he jumped into his car and allong with his wife, took over my life for me, untill I got through it all. Without this type of help things may have been much worse. On a positive note. This mate & his wife know that they now get the Slingshot, in the will, when Elaine and I do pass on.

I am sometimes active on Facebook and have also found great support from our French SS riders. Particularly Didier Fermin (hope he's on this site). They are looking to get me over to see them, if/when I improve and that remains a goal for me, in the future.

So what next?

As mentioned at the start, I get assessed for the transplant list on the 6th December, so I'm hopeful going to have a good Christmas.

I have missed the community on this great forum, but have just not felt up to participating, without any Slingshot news. I'm also very pleased to say that the 2019 Slingshot calendar, is in our kitchen, still stuck on the April page, showing the UK_PAUL Slingshot.

All the very best, from your friend, in the UK.

All the best, from UK_Paul

• Really good to hear from you first hand. Will keep you and your lovely bride in our hearts and prayers. Hope to visit your side of the pond someday. Really want to visit Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• WOW. And I thought me and my family had problems. Seems that UK_Paul has rolled all our ailments up into one body, his. Needless to say but prayers and best wishes are being sent overseas for you and your wife. May God bless you and keep you.

Your US friend and pray warriors....

Glenn and Anita

AKA LargeCar and the Boss Loving Wife

• Glad to hear you are doing better Paul. Will continue to send good thoughts your way.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1