Aftermarket Stereo

• Fixing to swap out the factory unit and need some input. Sure, there are multiple threads out there, but not really up to date. So, what is everybody running? Is it weatherproof? What about mounting? Is one kit better than the other? I've already installed the amps/subs/speakers, so I'm really looking for a head unit. I'm a hands-on, DIY type of guy so your input is appreciated.

AND....GO!

:SLRSS:

S O G Member

Oklahoma

Slingshot

Riders

• mytoy has some very nice mounting kits for double DIN head units so you might want to look at. I believe he even has a kit that will convert the older 2015 -16 to the newer style

MyToy double din kit

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• There is no such thing as a completely waterproof true-double din. The Sony AX-100/1000 series seems to be water resistant (there are videos showing people watering them with a hose) but even Sony's warranty specifically excludes water damage.

There are quite a few "splash" resistant covers out there, including MyToy's and some other. But again, not water proof.

All that being said, I bought a good Kenwood unit without DVD/CD. I'm currently using the stock mount without cover but am going to reinstall it in MyToy's mount (Prob over thanksgiving weekend). I have been caught in the rain with it a couple times already and only thing that died was the button led lights. Make sure to protect the stereo back and top when mounted.

Another option I have seen is install a single din (there are waterproof single dins) and that gives you a little cubby area either above/below.

My current mount that is about to be switched out to the MyToy mount:

• I've tried several music/radio setups, but unfortunately don't have pics from any of them except the current version I'm using, so I included some of the layout templates for the dash panels used with the different setups. In each setup, I mounted the amp inside the cubby area where the stock radio usually goes.

My first music setup used a Boss BT amp and I made a dash panel from a piece of 1/4"x8"x5.25" Black PVC sheet to hold everything in place.

I then tried a round marine radio from Lanzar/Pyle and had a metal shop cut a dash panel from 1/8" aluminum, but I don't have any pics. The panel was laid out similarly to this panel which I will be using for my next install using A Lanzar AQR80B marine radio with camera input capability -

I hope to be able to switch the video input signal to allow me to select either a forward or rear view, but I haven't tested my ideas yet.

One of the problems I had with the Lanzar/Pyle marine radios is they use an all-too-easily lost remote control for setup, so I did a new dash panel to handle a Planet Audio marine radio setup that doesn't use a remote to access the setup menu, but lacks the camera input/video capability. Here's the dash panel with the PA marine radio installed and it's layout -

The PVC is relatively easy to work and a simple PVC plug can be glued to the PVC pipe using PVC cement to make a place to put a pair of glasses, a candy bar, etc.

I used Libre Office Impress, a free open source equivalent to MS Office PowerPoint, to layout the templates. It allows you to specify the dimensions for each object and place each object as desired and then print the slide. Just check the dimensions to ensure it printed at the proper scale and then tape it to a piece of PVC and cut/drill as needed. Basically an easy-to-use poor man's layout tool.

Edited once, last by BKL ().