Cold weather riding tips

• If you are planning to venture out in cold weather with your Slingshot, there are a few things you need to consider – driving in cold weather is a substantially different experience from spring, summer, and fall – it’s like driving a different machine!

Cold weather gear is important – you won’t be happy riding if the cold is making you miserable! Some of us go with heated pants, jacket, gloves that all plug into the electrical system. I’ve never done this, not even snowmobiling in sub-zero weather, so I’ll have to let others chime in about their heated gear and what works best. I have conceded to getting older (and circulation getting worse) and ordered a pair of battery powered heated gloves. I’ll review them after I’ve had a chance to try them!

Generally, multiple layers and a good scarf to seal your neck from the cold are a good start. I wear flannel lined jeans in cool weather (40’s), below that I have a pair of insulated bib overalls and a heavy jacket for really cold weather. I got the bib’s from Tractor Supply, they were about $70, and they seal up my leg cuffs well. They aren’t the warmest gear out there, but I have to be able to move, get in and out, control the clutch and brakes without issues. If you try a set of these, make sure you can move well.

Tires act a lot differently in the cold! If you are riding on summer tires (most of us are, I think), then you will see radically different performance when the weather drops below 50 degrees. Tires become stiff and grip is greatly diminished – even on dry pavement. Below 35 degrees, I notice that my traction control is pretty much useless – the idiot light shows a spin-out event almost immediately and then the TC will NOT function until you turn off the engine and restart, and if it is still cold it will happen again almost immediately. I have not found a fix for this – so I just drive with TC off in cold weather.

You need to be more aware of the dips and swales in asphalt in cold weather. Crowned roads and the depressions in asphalt caused by tires from heavy traffic make the surface more uneven – and your cold tires will have more trouble and less control. You may find that you slalom back and forth more – keep your speed down a bit and be aware of the road surface. Passing on a crowned road becomes a real adventure! Moving over the crown can make your sling spin out, especially if you are accelerating as you move left. I recommend that you change lanes, THEN apply the gas. This makes passing more difficult, and you will require more space & time than usual.

Beware of leaves! Leaves will develop frost long before the road surface does, they can be as slick as ice. If leaves have time to get soaked through, they become as slippery as an oil patch and just as difficult to see. Generally leaves and water (or frost) are hella dangerous – treat them like a deep puddle that you might hydroplane in. Reduce your speed and lay off the gas if you come to a patch of leaves!

By all means, enjoy winter driving, I certainly do and its lots more fun than standing in the garage moping about and wishing I was out on the highway! :thumbsup:

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Very good info, I will concur that as the temps fall below fifty degrees, summer tires become you nemesis and all-season tires become your friend. To further add is to remember that there is only that single tire driving you and it is riding in between the normal tire lanes.This is where all the oil has been deposited all year, where the above mentioned leaves, and other debris, frost, snow, gravel from sanding operations, they all wind up here. Speaking of the traction control, you may also want to consider just turning it off if there is any chance of hydroplaning. We also run into situations here where the windshield will become useless to see through with heavy rain, fog, and will develop frost in an instant if conditions are right. Oh, to put in a plug for the MeanSling Sport Top, it really helps to maintain a more comfortable riding experience by reducing wind buffeting and retaining passenger compartment heat.

Bill

• https://www.tirerack.com/tires…h/techpage.jsp?techid=273

about performance tires and cold weather.....

that said I watched a demonstration the other day with all season tires vs winter tires.....on ice....winter tires start and stop way faster than all season tires...not even close as which you should use....

the same goes for performance tires vs all season tires big difference in how they perform.

bottom line is you should match the tires for the conditions you expect.

The army did cold weather studies years ago.....the found that if you keep you core warm (that’s the key) .your extremities will function better.....

I really like me heated gear.....no sense freezing if you don’t have to.....

• Did I hear Tractor Supply Store? I love that place & it didn't cross my mind. I gotta go and get some cold weather gear! I noticed yesterday at just below 50 deg. throttle control was necessary (stock tire). I thought in my mind how the riders fair with Turbos? I was smiling to myself. Maybe someday down the road?

• Did I hear Tractor Supply Store? I love that place & it didn't cross my mind. I gotta go and get some cold weather gear! I noticed yesterday at just below 50 deg. throttle control was necessary (stock tire). I thought in my mind how the riders fair with Turbos? I was smiling to myself. Maybe someday down the road?

I got my insulated bibs at Tractor Supply. They had Carhartts, more expensive, better made and better zippers, but bulkier.

The Schmidt brand (made in Bangladesh) were about $40 cheaper, thinner, lighter, cheaper zippers, not as warm. But they WERE easier to move around in and actually fit me better.

They fit over jeans easily, and I can put a big winter coat over the top. Easy enough to get in & out of the sling with 'em on that I don't worry about longer rides.

• I got my insulated bibs at Tractor Supply. They had Carhartts, more expensive, better made and better zippers, but bulkier.

The Schmidt brand (made in Bangladesh) were about $40 cheaper, thinner, lighter, cheaper zippers, not as warm. But they WERE easier to move around in and actually fit me better.

They fit over jeans easily, and I can put a big winter coat over the top. Easy enough to get in & out of the sling with 'em on that I don't worry about longer rides.

A couple of years ago I even bought a real thin pair of bib coveralls just to go over and help hold the heat from the heated pants. I never have tried them out, I could not go to Murphy last year either. I am just trying to stay warm and be able to move around without being give out at the end of the day.

• I get to kinda cheat now in Cold weather. I made about an hours drive Saturday to a Car show in 28 degree weather. I have installed heated seats which made my butt and back very warm. Of course wore a heavy leather riding jacket (my go to jacket when temps drop below 40). To kept my legs warm (knees and below), I just put on a set of good leather chaps. I wore my insulated riding boots so no problem for my feet . As for gloves, I just wore the same doe skin gloves that I use to ride my motorcycles. To keep my neck warm, just a regular gater. I dress now for the lower temps like the way I would dress to ride my bikes.

I'm just not ready to drop coin for electric clothing yet - especially since I bought my SS. The only reason that I dressed up so much for the drive Sat was that I knew it would be a long cold drive. This morning, driving to work in the low thirties (15 minute drive), I just wore my leather jacket and gloves

• yeah heated clothing is pretty pricey. My wife and I have $700 in ours and she doesn't even have the pants or the socks. I bought the heated gear because I like having a thin layer of clothes and not all the heavy stuff like my snowmobile jacket and pants but I understand it's pretty pricey

• My only concession to heated gear is gloves so far ($100), but I do have $3-400 in insulated pants, bibs, jackets, balaclavas.

Bought the Captain & I nice insulated balaclavas last month, she said "Oh goody! Presents!" then she wrapped 'em up for Christmas so we don't get to use 'em for another 5 weeks at least.

Doesn't bother her as long as there are nice packages under the tree.... sadly, our little 2-ft tree is too tiny to put a turbo kit under! 🤠

• holy crap $3,400 in heated gear I can go up to the snowmobile shop and get stuff for a hell of a lot less than that. I have warm and safe here and I thought 700 was expensive and if I add my wife pants and socks that's only another couple hundred. You must have some good stuff

• Obviously living in the So Cal desert as I do my cold weather needs are not nearly as intense as they are for many of you, at most all I need are long pants a medium weight jacket and some light gloves - - the one thing other than this that really makes my rides much more comfortable when its cold is my Bell Vortex full helmet - 8 1/2 months or more out of the year I wear the lightest little dot approved 1/2 helmet I could find at the time I got it, but when it gets in the 40's and 50's my nose starts to run and my ears get so dang cold they hurt - - thats when I switch to my full helmet.

those other 8 1/2 months the full helmet would be way too hot and for these times the 1/2 keeps me legal and I like the protection out on the highway

when the temp drops the full keeps my ears and nose nice and comfortable and makes it worth looking like I just stepped out of a Star Wars sequel

just got a new High Visibility yellow shield for the Vortex today - - makes it easier to see driving home after the sun has gone down - - would have liked a photochromic shield but the dang things cost more than the helmet did

Winter Helmet :

i-CfrnPmd-X2.jpg

Spring, Summer, Fall Helmet

i-BjZZzVf-X2.jpg

so anyway - thats my cold weather riding tip - even if you normally dont like a helmet, and even if it may not be required in your State I can guarantee that for controlling the air flow and temperature of my head I havent found anything that works as well, and I have tried

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• One other thing to add.... GRRRRavel!

Around here, when the weather is snowy, slushy, the highway department spreads sand and gravel on the road surfaces (steeper hills tend to get gravel).

In Arkansas, the snow melts in a day or so - we are the home of the "One Day Winter!" Never the less, the gravel is on the roads long after the snow is gone.

Regular cars and trucks soon push the gravel away from the tire lanes - and gravel gets herded into the center of the lane where our rear tire goes. 6 am this morning, a little bleary and on my way to work, I spun the rear tire pretty good on a narrow road. Didn't lose control, but this sort of thing could be pretty bad if you weren't expecting it! Plus, collecting little pieces of gravel on the mud flaps and the deck behind the roll hoops is annoying as heck!

• One other thing to add.... GRRRRavel!

Around here, when the weather is snowy, slushy, the highway department spreads sand and gravel on the road surfaces (steeper hills tend to get gravel).

In Arkansas, the snow melts in a day or so - we are the home of the "One Day Winter!" Never the less, the gravel is on the roads long after the snow is gone.

Regular cars and trucks soon push the gravel away from the tire lanes - and gravel gets herded into the center of the lane where our rear tire goes. 6 am this morning, a little bleary and on my way to work, I spun the rear tire pretty good on a narrow road. Didn't lose control, but this sort of thing could be pretty bad if you weren't expecting it! Plus, collecting little pieces of gravel on the mud flaps and the deck behind the roll hoops is annoying as heck!

Salt & gravel - - - - Thank God I dont have to deal with that crap :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies