Ahhhhhh! Internal Combustion forever!

• Got a real lift from reading this article about how the electric vehicle will NEVER completely replace the gasoline engine!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/gasoline-power-future/

You would never convince me that the number of electric cars is 2 % right now. Maybe everything with wheels might be 2 %. I wonder where that number came from?

• thank you

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Got a real lift from reading this article about how the electric vehicle will NEVER completely replace the gasoline engine!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/gasoline-power-future/

Agreed but this pony sure looks like fun, and a paddle shift! Still I would prefer the good old internal combustion engine. Someone posted it somewhere on this forum yesterday.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/06/mustang-lithium-sema/

• You would never convince me that the number of electric cars is 2 % right now. Maybe everything with wheels might be 2 %. I wonder where that number came from?

I would believe 2%...I can tell you that since the Model 3 Tesla became a big deal...that the parking lot here at work has probably has about 30 of them. I also have noticed a lot more Nissan LEAFs and a few Jaguar I-Paces. Out of the Several hundred cars that park here, I would say that nearly 80-100 are now new EVs...and I would venture to say about 20 of them still have temp tags from the dealerships. Also a lot of states that still have EV credits have been noticing a small ramp up. Affordability of EVs are getting there and the average mileage is starting to line up with what people are looking for. I have seen 2 die hard ICE owners order Teslas this past year and they couldn't be happier.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I would believe 2%...I can tell you that since the Model 3 Tesla became a big deal...that the parking lot here at work has probably has about 30 of them. I also have noticed a lot more Nissan LEAFs and a few Jaguar I-Paces. Out of the Several hundred cars that park here, I would say that nearly 80-100 are now new EVs...and I would venture to say about 20 of them still have temp tags from the dealerships. Also a lot of states that still have EV credits have been noticing a small ramp up. Affordability of EVs are getting there and the average mileage is starting to line up with what people are looking for. I have seen 2 die hard ICE owners order Teslas this past year and they couldn't be happier.

We might have 5 total around here of all of them.

• I would believe 2%...I can tell you that since the Model 3 Tesla became a big deal...that the parking lot here at work has probably has about 30 of them. I also have noticed a lot more Nissan LEAFs and a few Jaguar I-Paces. Out of the Several hundred cars that park here, I would say that nearly 80-100 are now new EVs...and I would venture to say about 20 of them still have temp tags from the dealerships. Also a lot of states that still have EV credits have been noticing a small ramp up. Affordability of EVs are getting there and the average mileage is starting to line up with what people are looking for. I have seen 2 die hard ICE owners order Teslas this past year and they couldn't be happier.

It is also a regional thing, as here in South Carolina the site of a Tesla is fairly uncommon. However when I travel out to California / L.A., Tesla's seem to be more common than Buick's ;)

There are a lot of EV's hitting market over the next 2 years from the bigger automakers, should be interesting to see what that percentage is by 2023.

Charging infrastructure is also going to be something to watch. Right now Tesla has a pretty good network of supercharger's, but obviously not everyone can use that charging standard, if we would start to see a trend to a standard charging network, I think that would also help with the adoption of EV's for the mainstream.

• We might have 5 total around here of all of them.

I know a lot of the southern states haven't adopted EV incentive programs so that might be the slow adoption. Like Georgia actually hits you with a EV registration fee that continues every year while you own it. They claim it's because you aren't using gas stations so they hit you with a fee for not getting state taxes on fueling up. And I have heard it's a pretty hefty amount. Here in Colorado, we are one of the states that offers the largest state incentives to purchase an EV, and the EV fee is only $50 a year.

• "Ahhhhhh! Internal Combustion forever!"--I can relate as I just finished prepping for a colonoscopy later today.

Seriously though, the 2% number will increase dramatically over the next decade. Two things that have been holding back EVs are price and lack of a complete and visible charging infrastructure. Both are improving. Battery tech continues to get more efficient at less cost each year which will continue to improve competitive pricing of EVs. There are already a LOT of charging stations out there now but more are needed and they must be more convenient and visible.

• I feel your pain Flybuddy. I prep Sunday for mine Monday. Only good thing is that once they finish it doesn't have to get done again for at least 5 years - unless he loses his watch durng the exam and has to go back in to retrieve it <X<X<X<X

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Here in California Teslas are everywhere - On my daily rides to and from work I would bet that if I looked around every time I came to a red light one or more of the other vehicles would be a Model 1 - - - I suspect if I paid more attention there would also be the occasional Model 3's and X's

I have always liked the lines of the Model 1 from the side and back so I suspect they just something I notice easily, but I would bet that at almost any time driving on our roads here in the desert if I looked around there would be 1 or more on the road within sight

it may be 2% nationally, but around here I would bet its closer to 8 0r 9 - - heck might even be in the double digits

• I travel to California Bay Area quite a bit for work and have to drive past the Tesla plant all the time. Yes, they are ALL OVER California, but even in Austin Tx, we are seeing more and more. I always said that my next "car" would be a Tesla but I don't plan on ever buying another "car". And yes, as they get more charging stations, you'll see them increase exponentially.

Go back 100 years to when Model T's were replacing horses. I bet the same thing was said then too: No gas stations, no paved roads, etc. But can any of you even think of not owning a car for daily life now?

• I travel to California Bay Area quite a bit for work and have to drive past the Tesla plant all the time. Yes, they are ALL OVER California, but even in Austin Tx, we are seeing more and more. I always said that my next "car" would be a Tesla but I don't plan on ever buying another "car". And yes, as they get more charging stations, you'll see them increase exponentially.

Go back 100 years to when Model T's were replacing horses. I bet the same thing was said then too: No gas stations, no paved roads, etc. But can any of you even think of not owning a car for daily life now?

My wife and I have talked about getting her a Tesla for her next car and we are still thinking about it, the one thing that makes us hesitant is the pain of dealing with charging on long trips - having to map trips out around charging station locations and having to sit and wait 20 minutes and more every time seems like a pain in the a$$. With my slingshot being our only other vehicle we are still on the fence about committing to electric for our other vehicle

right now my wife has a very small car and we rent what we need for longer trips and we could keep doing it that way, but one of the reasons for getting her a new car would be to make it our long trip car and with a tesla that becomes more difficult

oh well we are not shopping right now anyway

• "Ahhhhhh! Internal Combustion forever!"--I can relate as I just finished prepping for a colonoscopy later today.

Seriously though, the 2% number will increase dramatically over the next decade. Two things that have been holding back EVs are price and lack of a complete and visible charging infrastructure. Both are improving. Battery tech continues to get more efficient at less cost each year which will continue to improve competitive pricing of EVs. There are already a LOT of charging stations out there now but more are needed and they must be more convenient and visible.

It will be interesting to take a trip in one of things

• It will be interesting to take a trip in one of things

A friend of mine did a trip from Colorado Springs to Vegas...usually about a 11-12 hour trip. Took him just over 14 hours. Keep in mind...this was in a Tesla and the charging network is pretty solid for Tesla. Electrify America is really working hard at expanding the charging network. They are shooting for a charging station every 70 miles on the highways. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

• Great stuff. Options are good and the green stuff is great. All for it. Choice is great! Charging stations are evolving and multiplying with aps displaying charging stations. Getting there, free market leads the way.

• I am curious about how much real estate will be necessary for charging stations. If this infrastructure is built like our interstates, much of it will be a step behind actual needs. Need a 4 lane road? Build it and by the time it's done a 6 lane is required. Perhaps this will be taken into account and they will overbuild for current capacity requirements, but if not, as the market expands, you may pull into the charging station for your 20 minute charge and find yourself in a 3 hour line. (I'm just old enough to remember the lines at the gas stations in the 70's when the oil embargo hit.) Now your 12 hour trip that takes 14 hours becomes 24 hours. No thanks. Probably some genius will create an app where you can reserve your spot ahead of time with your phone. Hey...…...did I say that out loud?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• I am curious about how much real estate will be necessary for charging stations. If this infrastructure is built like out interstates, much of it will be a step behind actual needs. Need a 4 lane road? Build it and by the time it's done a 6 lane is required. Perhaps this will be taken into account and they will overbuild for current capacity requirements, but if not, as the market expands, you may pull into the charging station for your 20 minute charge and find yourself in a 3 hour line. (I'm just old enough to remember the lines at the gas stations in the 70's when the oil embargo hit.) Now your 12 hour trip that takes 14 hours becomes 24 hours. No thanks. Probably some genius will create an app where you can reserve your spot ahead of time with your phone. Hey...…...did I say that out loud?

Agreed, good thought. May work now as it's on a smaller scale. What about if its mandated? Hopefully our government will allow choice. Not so sure anymore.

• Agreed, good thought. May work now as it's on a smaller scale. What about if its mandated? Hopefully our government will allow choice. Not so sure anymore.

Hopefully it will be regulated by the free market. If our govt gets involved they'll totally f*** it up. Hell, in Washington State, when they mandated a certain percentage of our electricity come from renewable resources, they determined that hydroelectric, which we have a lot of, is not a renewable resource. WHAT???

I can see it now. Turn in your ASSAULT weapon and move to the front of the line. Vote Republican and 'No electricity for you!'

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)