Yet another "should I boost" thread - but with a twist.

• I've read dozens of forced induction threads, and read quit a few of Dave@DDMWorks very informative explanations about forced induction and what it can do to a one of these 2.4L GM motors if you run it too hard, have too much boost, etc. (popped piston tops, sheared head-bolts, etc.) So I know what CAN happen, what I'd like to know is in a low boost setup like the DDM stage 1 kit, how OFTEN this actually happens. The second thing I'm trying to find out, is overall, how reliable these motors are stock. I know timing chain tensioners are/were is an issue, but is that still an issue or has Polaris resolved that recently? (I have a 2019). Angle drives? I know there was a recall in the past on them. The bottom line I'm trying to get to is, how likely is it that I'm going to have a major drive train issue, and how likely is it that it could be blamed on boost.

OK, so here is that twist I mentioned. In July of this year I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Right now the issues I'm having are limited to my left hand and some balance problems. This is why I traded the Harley in on the SS in August. I just didn't feel safe on 2 wheels anymore. The thing with PD is that it advances at different rates for everyone. I might be fine (with meds) for 20 years, or I could be in a wheel chair in 5. My fear is that if I wait until August of 2021 to do boost, I may no longer be capable of handling a performance vehicle with a manual transmission when that time arrives. Or will only have a couple of years to enjoy it. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what I should do. What I'm looking for is the folks with years of experience dealing with Polaris and slings, boosted or not, to give me an idea of what the likely hood is that I will need major drive train work between now and my end of warranty, and how likely it is that Polaris would give me grief about fixing it if my sling was boosted (assuming it wasn't something that could easily be attributed to the boost).

Thanks,

Steve

• I am NA and don't need no stinking boost to keep up with most people on here. :evil::evil::thumbsup:

I'm not really trying to keep up with anyone. I just enjoy driving a vehicle that can lay you back in the seat if you ask it too. I'd want boost even if I was the only vehicle on the road. My ex had a turbo Beetle. Pretty tame by boosted standard, but I loved driving it.

• I have the first street driven turbo slingshot and other than a blown engine in the early stages prior to having a reliable tune from Bob and the 2 bar map sensor, i have had no other drive line issues. Polaris did replace the swing arm in the recall with zero issues about being turboed. They also replaced the noisy angle drive after complaining of the noise and also no objections to the added power enhancer causing the problems. I wouldn't worry about having to wait until the warranty expires unless your dealer doesn't care about customer service reviews. Polaris will pay them for the work, so why piss of a customer?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I think it really all comes down to your dealer. I have 2 within about 45min from me and when it comes to recalls, one dealer won't touch it and the other loves it and I usually have at least 1 person asking for a ride when I pick it up. All of the entry level turbo kits out there are pretty similar and they all make boost and they all make about the same amount power at that level. At 6ish psi there is room for a pretty large margin of error for anything to go sideways as long as you have a solid tune which all of the popular kits out there have. You're not pushing the engine internals or drive train to the limits. Depending on your driving style you may need a new clutch sooner than later.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I've read dozens of forced induction threads, and read quit a few of Dave@DDMWorks very informative explanations about forced induction and what it can do to a one of these 2.4L GM motors if you run it too hard, have too much boost, etc. (popped piston tops, sheared head-bolts, etc.) So I know what CAN happen, what I'd like to know is in a low boost setup like the DDM stage 1 kit, how OFTEN this actually happens. The second thing I'm trying to find out, is overall, how reliable these motors are stock. I know timing chain tensioners are/were is an issue, but is that still an issue or has Polaris resolved that recently? (I have a 2019). Angle drives? I know there was a recall in the past on them. The bottom line I'm trying to get to is, how likely is it that I'm going to have a major drive train issue, and how likely is it that it could be blamed on boost.

OK, so here is that twist I mentioned. In July of this year I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Right now the issues I'm having are limited to my left hand and some balance problems. This is why I traded the Harley in on the SS in August. I just didn't feel safe on 2 wheels anymore. The thing with PD is that it advances at different rates for everyone. I might be fine (with meds) for 20 years, or I could be in a wheel chair in 5. My fear is that if I wait until August of 2021 to do boost, I may no longer be capable of handling a performance vehicle with a manual transmission when that time arrives. Or will only have a couple of years to enjoy it. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me what I should do. What I'm looking for is the folks with years of experience dealing with Polaris and slings, boosted or not, to give me an idea of what the likely hood is that I will need major drive train work between now and my end of warranty, and how likely it is that Polaris would give me grief about fixing it if my sling was boosted (assuming it wasn't something that could easily be attributed to the boost).

Thanks,

Steve

Really on low boost setups around 6psi, the reliability on the LE9 2.4L Ecotec is really, really good with our kits. It is important to have a good running system though with an intercooler, a stable tune, correct installation and running on decent gas. Our stock supercharger kit has amazing reliability on stock engines and the only failure I know of with all the Stage 1 turbo's we have sold was because a dealer installed a boost controller incorrectly (the boost controller was not part of our kit). That being said, no one is going to be able offer you 100% guarantee of no problems. If you want stock reliability, leave it stock ;).

The 2.4L Ecotec found in the Slingshot has been a workhorse and can take a lot of abusive actually. Once again, if you install good quality parts, with a good tune and take care of it, we have lots of customers with over 100K miles boosted and quite a few over 200K miles boosted on stock engines. The engine was not designed for boost, but low boost setups it does very well with.

All the engines that have been installed stock in the Slingshot are LE9's with no changes internally since the introduction of the Slingshot. The issues you mention with the tensioners/guides are typically going to be found on higher mileage engines that have been run hot and/or lacked regular maintenance/oil changes. With the Slingshot we have not seen this issue, since the owners seem to really take care of them and do their regular maintenance.

Angle drive failures seem to caused by putting a lot of power through the drive with a sticky tire, which loads up the drivetrain until it finds the weak point, which is the angle drive and the case cracks. The other failure mechanism we have seen cause a failure of the angle drive is with wheel hop. If you start getting wheel hop in the back, it basically shock loads the angle drive over and over and will cause it to fail also if done enough. With a low boost setup, especially on stock tires, you will not be in either one of these situations and if you are not having issues now, angle drive should live.

The one issue you didn't mention is the transmission. We have been dealing with this transmission since 2006 when it was used on the Solstice. Unfortunately, there is an issue that can come up with the 3rd/4th gear synchro gear going bad. We have torn down several of the transmissions after they fail and basically the teeth on the synchro wear and cause it to over rotate, blocking the transmission from going into gear. This failure is not super common, but we are just starting to see it show up in the Slingshot community now. That being said, we have had dealers replace the transmission under warranty, even on Slingshots that have our supercharger/turbo kits installed. I would highly recommend you talk to the dealer you plan to use for service about adding the turbo and see what they say about the warranty and how they would handle it.

Hope that answers your questions, let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you,

Dave

• My experience with a turbo has been great. Back in January of 2000 I purchased my second Hayabusa and after putting 500 miles on it in freezing cold weather I installed a Turbo, after some careful tuning we produced 263 RWHP on pump gas with 8lbs of boost with a bone stock motor (27,000 MILES AND A HIGH SPEED LEAN OUT PUT HOLES IN THE CENTER TWO PISTONS, 24 MILE PASS AT RED LINE IN 6TH GEAR) I have been hooked ever since. Last year I purchased my Sling Shot and after a month or so I decided to turbo it, but not after trying the usual add-ons (header,exhaust,cai and tune). With the help of KYLE D. at ZZP a turbo was installed and I can not be happier. I have had a minor issue but that was caused by a tank of bad gas. (added some octane boost and drove it conservative to get rid of the gas and it has been fine) I now have over 10,000 miles boosted, I drove it to Maggie Valley 600 miles each way with zero issues. I drive pretty conservative, not doing hole shots or burn outs but I do love the top end rush once in 3rd gear and the tire stops spinning. Its addictive. "HAVING A TURBO IS LIKE HAVING MONEY IN THE BANK, YOU DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS USE IT, BUT IT SURE IN NICE TO KNOW IT'S THERE"

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I hadn't read any posts on transmission issues yet, so that was good additional info I didn't have. It sounds like the best thing for me to do next is talk to my dealer, and if I don't like what they tell me, there are two more within 50 miles of me. Hopefully one of he three will be "mod-friendly":)

• Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I hadn't read any posts on transmission issues yet, so that was good additional info I didn't have. It sounds like the best thing for me to do next is talk to my dealer, and if I don't like what they tell me, there are two more within 50 miles of me. Hopefully one of he three will be "mod-friendly":)

Just saw you are just down the way in Lexington, SC. If you have a chance to come up this way, we are not too far from you in Greenville. We would be happy to show you what we offer and if you need help with the install, we can do that also for you.

• Just saw you are just down the way in Lexington, SC. If you have a chance to come up this way, we are not too far from you in Greenville. We would be happy to show you what we offer and if you need help with the install, we can do that also for you.

Yes, you and I have actually discussed this via e-mail. I'm, the guy that wanted to know if you did ECU tunes "while you wait" and if I could just pick up my stage 1 kit rather than have it shipped.

• ...and if you need help with the install, we can do that also for you.

I've actually been wrenching on my own vehicles most of my adult life. I can do most anything short of an engine rebuild myself. I've read the entire stage 1 kit install guide and none of it is any more advanced than anything than I've done before. Of course, my left hand isn't as cooperative as it used to be, but I've been able to work around that so far. The only "cheat" I would opt for is the oil pan option so I don't have to drill and tap the pan that's on it now. Actually, my biggest limitation for wrenching is my tiny garage. I have to do most of my work in the driveway. I have to put Crisco on the sides of the sling to get it in the garage 8o

• I don't have experience with boost, you have heard from our two resident pros and other users, and I'm sure more will ring in. I just want to say I applaud your response to a life-changing diagnosis and, I'm sure, a major shock and change to your outlook on life. I would like to think I would react the same but no one will ever know unless they are in a similar situation. Like you and many others, I've always had the attitude of do what you can while you can. Life comes with no guarantees (or extended warranty) and you get from it what you take. My opinion, for what it's worth, is do what the heart wants. This is your show and you get to write the script. God Bless you and your family and we'll all pray for your ongoing health.

Let's Ride!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I don't have experience with boost, you have heard from our two resident pros and other users, and I'm sure more will ring in. I just want to say I applaud your response to a life-changing diagnosis and, I'm sure, a major shock and change to your outlook on life. I would like to think I would react the same but no one will ever know unless they are in a similar situation. Like you and many others, I've always had the attitude of do what you can while you can. Life comes with no guarantees (or extended warranty) and you get from it what you take. My opinion, for what it's worth, is do what the heart wants. This is your show and you get to write the script. Ged Bless you and your family and we'll all pray for your ongoing health.

Let's Ride!

Trust me, the attitude I have now is not the one I had the day of the diagnosis. It's a process. In the end, we can either play the cards we are dealt, or throw them in. I'm not ready to throw them in, and the SS and it's community is a big part of the reason for that.

• I've actually been wrenching on my own vehicles most of my adult life. I can do most anything short of an engine rebuild myself. I've read the entire stage 1 kit install guide and none of it is any more advanced than anything than I've done before. Of course, my left hand isn't as cooperative as it used to be, but I've been able to work around that so far. The only "cheat" I would opt for is the oil pan option so I don't have to drill and tap the pan that's on it now. Actually, my biggest limitation for wrenching is my tiny garage. I have to do most of my work in the driveway. I have to put Crisco on the sides of the sling to get it in the garage 8o

Oh Boy, I could not stand that.

• You have a great outlook on life and should live it to your fullest.
    Having DDM so close is such a blessing when you step into the boosted world. I would go visit and drive both supercharged and turbo to see what you find is best fit for you. Dave has been very good to me and I come from the Alpha family and he is always willing to help.
    If you do in the end choose a turbo explore your choices and I haven’t dealt with Kyle and ZZP but would not hesitate in a second to have their equipment.
    Either of these guys can take care of your needs and you will be smiling fro ear to ear when your boosted. There is a lot of knowledge now since I boosted in 2015 and that is great for you to take advantage of it.
    Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sounds like you deserve to have anything you want. The engine in the sling is a pretty durable and even at moderate boost you will have a blast. I have had a few different set ups and enjoyed every single one of them. My only problem is I always want more. You are pretty close to DDM so that may be the most convenient option and Dave has a few great choices.

What eve you choose enjoy it to the fullest and be safe. Wish you the best of luck moving forward.

Join us at Track day if you can!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I was reading a post by Dave@DDMWorks on the DDMWorks FB page and I read about a "con" for TC vs SC that I didn't even consider. Turbo lag will confuse the factory traction control algorithm. How big of an issue is that? Is it so bad you have to run with traction control disabled?

Edited once, last by SZurlo: disambiguation ().