angle drive replacement video

• I am going to replace my angle drive with the new part number that replaces mine on my 2016 SS. The whine is driving me nuts.

has anyone ever done this and made a video of the process? if so, could you post a link for me (and others). I've looked everywhere and i can't seem to find one, but i thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Dave

• I have a 2016 and I have never found the angle drive to be particularly noisy - only time I get any loud whining is when the drive belt gets dirty and it doesnt take much dust to make a huge difference

It was actually funny the other day, I cleaned the top exposed belt area and bottom as always, normally I would then roll the slingshot back to expose the areas I haden't cleaned, but I got side tracked and never got back around to it

next morning on my ride in to work every time I got on the gas it was Whine - - - - whine - - - -whine with the noise coming and going as the areas of the belt I hadn't cleaned came around the back pulley - - - needless to say when I got home that night I finished cleaning the belt and the pulsing whine went away

I seriously suspect that much of the noise people think is coming from the angle drive is actually coming from a dusty belt rubbing on the pulley

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Well, i just bought this 2016. I am the second owner. The machine is in impeccable shape. You can tell the original owner took really good care of it. He said the whine was there from the beginning and from my research, i know that the whine is a common problem. However, i have rented several later model SS's over the last few years, and i know that they didn't whine like mine does.

I seem to have the OPPOSITE problem that most people have here. The whine is almost non-existent on acceleration. The whine is really loud on DEceleration or just coasting in gear. It's almost as if the ring and pinion are either too loose or too tight or not mating right. I know what the belt sound is like. I don't think it's the belt, but i'm not 100 percent sure.

It has 8050 miles on it. i replaced the drive oil with Redline Heavy Shockproof over the weekend, but i haven't put many miles on it yet to tell if there is a difference.

With winter coming, I thought it would be a good winter project to replace, but I certainly don't want to throw money at it if their is another solution. Other than the oil, i don't know what else to do.

So, i noticed Ed said the whine came and went when he only partially cleaned his belt. so, i will very completely clean the belt before doing anything else. But, wouldn't a dirty belt whine on acceleration AND deceleration? I get the loud whine only on deceleration. If the whine was as quiet on deceleration as it is on acceleration, i'd have no problem with it.

• I only ever get whine on acceleration from the belt - and like I said it doesnt take much dirt. First time I ever noticed it I was out in the sling with no whine at all, parked in a dirt lot at a restaurant and on my ride home you would have thought the bearing had gone out - it was horrible - went home and read up and decided to try cleaning the belt - - it went right away - I was surprised - I have now removed the belt guard and make cleaning a regular thing - looks better without the guard anyway

So yours may or may not be the belt, but at least give it a cleaning and be sure

• Correct belt alignment and tension might be what you need to look into before a rear angle drive replacement.

From the manual...

If the drive belt is too far inboard, the belt will make

noise during deceleration. If the belt is too far outboard, the belt will make noise during acceleration or while under load.

Be willing to bet the deceleration noise decreases when drive belt is wet.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have a 16.5 and the input seal on the angle drive leaked when I bought it new. The seal was replaced during 500 mile service. It started to leak again around 20,000 miles and again was replaced under warranty . At 32,000 it was leaking again, this time they replaced yoke and bearing as well as seals. I've only got about a 1,000 miles on the current repairs but can tell you that every time that it was taken out and taken apart it sounded different when it went back in. Mine also always made the most noise on deceleration. Currently it is the quietest that it has been since I owned it. The previous time it would really howl on decel. My point is it makes a world of difference how these gears are setup. I've got the original gears but they sound different with every rebuild. I'll be happy with it as long as it stays dry . If it leaks again I'll be

campaigning hard for a whole new angle drive . Hope you figure it out :)

• For as much dirt as I get on my back rim every ride, keeping dirt off the belt would take a water or air spray system constantly spraying the belt the entire time. Keeping the belt dirt free is an impossible feat.

what would be nice is if there was a video of a perfectly clean belt and a perfect angle drive to listen to. Then noise comparisons could be made to determine what is considered too much and what course of action needs to be taken.

Do car or truck axle pumpkins make lots of noise normally?

reading about other angle drive noise complaints it could be a bad angle drive or it could be the belt is too tight.....easiest and cheapest attempted fix would be first loosen the belt some.

Other fixes have been replacing bearings and seals.

• what would be nice is if there was a video of a perfectly clean belt and a perfect angle drive to listen to. Then noise comparisons could be made to determine what is considered too much and what course of action needs to be taken.

What a great idea, Bigdog, since it is your idea how about you doing this for us? Take your time, do it right, and I have no doubts we all would be very appreciative in your taking the time in doing this for us!

Good show! :thumbsup:

Oh, just an added lil note, where it is the looser belt that tends to squawk more, I know that you meant to say it this way, right Bigdog;)

Bill

• For as much dirt as I get on my back rim every ride, keeping dirt off the belt would take a water or air spray system constantly spraying the belt the entire time. Keeping the belt dirt free is an impossible feat.

what would be nice is if there was a video of a perfectly clean belt and a perfect angle drive to listen to. Then noise comparisons could be made to determine what is considered too much and what course of action needs to be taken.

Do car or truck axle pumpkins make lots of noise normally?

reading about other angle drive noise complaints it could be a bad angle drive or it could be the belt is too tight.....easiest and cheapest attempted fix would be first loosen the belt some.

Other fixes have been replacing bearings and seals.

you ask if cars and trucks make these noises and personally I suspect they make much more noise than we notice - cars and trucks now days have so much noise reducing insulation and parts are isolated so that vibrations are not amplified so that from inside the car what we can hear is much less than there would be without the insulation and isolation of noise producing components none of which exists on the slingshot

often times when sitting at lights I hear very strange and loud sounds and sometimes I even worry that something is wrong with my slingshot - -then the light turns green and the cars pull away and it becomes clear the noises I was hearing were from some other vehicle at the light

• I have a 16.5 and the input seal on the angle drive leaked when I bought it new. The seal was replaced during 500 mile service. It started to leak again around 20,000 miles and again was replaced under warranty . At 32,000 it was leaking again, this time they replaced yoke and bearing as well as seals. I've only got about a 1,000 miles on the current repairs but can tell you that every time that it was taken out and taken apart it sounded different when it went back in. Mine also always made the most noise on deceleration. Currently it is the quietest that it has been since I owned it. The previous time it would really howl on decel. My point is it makes a world of difference how these gears are setup. I've got the original gears but they sound different with every rebuild. I'll be happy with it as long as it stays dry . If it leaks again I'll be

campaigning hard for a whole new angle drive . Hope you figure it out :)

I had a much different experience when the angle drive leaked on the 16.5 I bought new. There was no gasket on mine, just RTV or whatever sealant they use to form a gasket. My dealer told me that the cause was likely poorly machined surfaces and Polaris simply replaced it. I think it was only around 3,000 miles or so. I didn't consider my drive noisy (after significantly loosening the belt from the way it was delivered), but the new drive was definitely more quiet.

As a side note dallen1059 , when I took delivery of my Sling the belt was so tight it squealed like a cut pig and felt like it was actually binding when I drove it. The first thing I did was loosen it and I didn't feel like the noise was at all obtrusive after that. One should realize that it is a machine with an open cockpit and you will hear the machinery when it's working. It's been said before, if you want a quiet ride, buy a (insert luxury vehicle of choice)! ;)

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• You can try using some dry lube on the belt, this should pinpoint whether the whine is actually from the angle drive or the belt.

Bill

it would have to be made by polaris.....I have back end noise and I’m not sure if it’s belt, angle drive or just normal noise.....I think most of us are In the same boat. If it’s making crazy noise we might suspect something but right now.....I’m assuming my noises are just normal operational noises....unless someone says different.

if mine is making noise because of a dirty belt...it’s always going to make that noise...it’s dirty every ride.

In a video the angle drive would have to be listened to at speed..and it would have to be a known 100% good one. Same with the belt and the adjustment. It would be nice to have a sound comparison video where they explain what the different noises are....what’s normal and what’s not. This is angle drive bearings, this is dirty belt, this is belt too tight, this is belt too loose, thIs is angle drive gearing issues.

I don’t think they want us self diagnosing our SS.

• you ask if cars and trucks make these noises and personally I suspect they make much more noise than we notice - cars and trucks now days have so much noise reducing insulation and parts are isolated so that vibrations are not amplified so that from inside the car what we can hear is much less than there would be without the insulation and isolation of noise producing components none of which exists on the slingshot

often times when sitting at lights I hear very strange and loud sounds and sometimes I even worry that something is wrong with my slingshot - -then the light turns green and the cars pull away and it becomes clear the noises I was hearing were from some other vehicle at the light

I had a much different experience when the angle drive leaked on the 16.5 I bought new. There was no gasket on mine, just RTV or whatever sealant they use to form a gasket. My dealer told me that the cause was likely poorly machined surfaces and Polaris simply replaced it. I think it was only around 3,000 miles or so. I didn't consider my drive noisy (after significantly loosening the belt from the way it was delivered), but the new drive was definitely more quiet.

As a side note dallen1059 , when I took delivery of my Sling the belt was so tight it squealed like a cut pig and felt like it was actually binding when I drove it. The first thing I did was loosen it and I didn't feel like the noise was at all obtrusive after that. One should realize that it is a machine with an open cockpit and you will hear the machinery when it's working. It's been said before, if you want a quiet ride, buy a (insert luxury vehicle of choice)! ;)

I always ride with ear plugs ....on a few occasions that I rode without them.....I heard so much banging and clanging....every bump created another noise...it sounded like driving down railroad tracks... shock noises and other metal rattle noise. It’s pretty quiet sitting in the driveway...

a noise diagnostic video would really help.

• I think it is more than just the openness of the slingshot - I also believe that mounts and insulation designed to isolate components and reduce noise that are common in cars and trucks simply do not exist on the slingshot because saving weight takes priority over reducing noise

as to belt noise from dirt I think its probably like when you run your finger around the rim of a glass and it induces vibrations that we hear as a tone - when the belt gets dirty it rubs against the sides of the rear pulley and does the same thing - when we accelerate hard or decelerate hard the belt shifts from one side to the other and this can bring it into contact with one side of the pulley or the other and make the noise we all hate

of course this is just a theory but to me it seems reasonable and would explain why the screeching only happens under acceleration or sometimes deceleration

• I always ride with ear plugs ....on a few occasions that I rode without them.....I heard so much banging and clanging....every bump created another noise...it sounded like driving down railroad tracks... shock noises and other metal rattle noise. It’s pretty quiet sitting in the driveway...

a noise diagnostic video would really help.

Bigdog If it the noises concern you you might try replacing the stock sway bar mounts. When I replaced my stock sway bar mounts with the DDM mounts virtually all of the clunks and clanks that I associated with the front suspension went away - the hard plastic in the stock mounts sucks and it transmits every sound the suspension makes right through the frame which acts like a giant amplifier .