To Boost - or not to Boost

• Bill what's your gas mileage with the SC?

I've run a few tanks thru mine now. With two bars left showing, I'm doing 150-175 miles depending on how I'm driving it. I pretty much lost 5 MPG overall, whether driving hard or easy. Usually if I just take it easy (you can't help but use it some every tank.... at least I can't!) I'll pull 27-29 MPG. I've dropped to 24 once. Best to run 93 and don't let it get lower than hitting reserve if possible. Boost is not as forgiving if you go around a curve and the fuel sloshes to the side leaving air for a brief time. Lean plus boost equals new forged engine from ZZP or DDM....

well that kind of sucks. I depend on my MPG display to determine when I need to fill up

It will no longer even be remotely close. Assuming you are getting the "Big Kahuna" set up, that comes with new fuel rail and larger injectors. My computer shows I'm getting 48 MPG most of the time, but it's based on the smaller stock injector.

• I went with the ZZP turbo and I was shocked that my fuel economy more than doubled according to my digital readout. :00008172:It shows over 80mpg. :00008698:On paper I am getting about 18 but drive hard as I can, not looking for fuel economy just smiles. Burned off another tire this yr with just over 6000 miles but that's why I did it. It's my relive from work and if it costs me a few extra dollars for fuel and a new tire so be it

Damn I like happy customers ! way to go gooseman just don't tell them about our door to door delivery service lol

• I look at MPG if it says 34 I know I can go 340+- miles and base how much further I can go to empty. I assume you should be able to flash the ECM to compensate for the different injectors. Wonder why they don't do that

Having done 87,000+ miles in the seat of a Slingshot, I have to question 340+ miles on a tank of gas. I do keep a gas log on every miles I put on the Slingshot, tax reasons, and the 250 mile mark says BETTER get gas --- when I stretching it further than one should.

• I have almost sixty-eight thousand on my 2015 SL and I've always gotten between 34 and 35 miles per gallon. But my riding is mostly back roads 55 mph or under. I have check my mileage at fill up a few times and it seems to be accurate.

Initially, I got around 28-30 mpg with a mix of Interstate and back-roads. After installing my TD Top, my mileage was around 28 mpg and with my Hahn turbo kit, I now get around 25-26.5 mpg. I've gotten as low as 24 mpg once or twice, but with brisk acceleration from stops and consistent legal speed limits (typically less than +4 over the speed limit), I see 25-26.5 mpg range. At a consistent 35-40 mph, I have seen over 30 mpg.

• I could actually live with those numbers

Just to clarify - I like boost during brisk acceleration from stops, but tend to cruise around the speed limit. When passing, I also like boost, but when driving curvy roads, I try to set the cruise control as close as possible to the posted speed limit and don't really get into boost. Since SCs always add boost in a direct relationship to engine speed, higher rpms will always require more fuel, but a turbo can cruise at normal speeds w/o much boost, resulting in lower fuel consumption if you stay off the boost.

• Having done 87,000+ miles in the seat of a Slingshot, I have to question 340+ miles on a tank of gas. I do keep a gas log on every miles I put on the Slingshot, tax reasons, and the 250 mile mark says BETTER get gas --- when I stretching it further than one should.

When I did the cat delete and the Alpha CAI I jumped from 30 mpg to 34 mpg. Now with the Welter Dual's and Bob's tune I stay right around 29 mpg. Remember folks this is over a 7 or 8 day trip most times around 1,500 to 2;000 miles. Average for the whole trip, "NOT" by the tank with every kind of driving.

• I have almost sixty-eight thousand on my 2015 SL and I've always gotten between 34 and 35 miles per gallon. But my riding is mostly back roads 55 mph or under. I have check my mileage at fill up a few times and it seems to be accurate.

If that is by the computer, or by actual "miles run divided by gallons used", why would you even want any type of boost (either begs the question)? I only ask, as the best I've gotten (using the latter, which is more reliable) is 34-35 MPG. That was babying it to the max, with Bob's tune (which give better MPG than stock). I've not heard of many getting near that, let alone above it. If you drive it that easily, why the wish for boost? Boost costs up front, could cost and engine if something goes wrong, and will not make better MPG better in any case.

I'm not bashing, I just don't understand. I was willing to give up some MPG to get the power I really wanted. 5 MPG overall is a small price to pay for the smiles I get when above 2500 RPM and into the pedal! If I rode mostly back roads (and I do enjoy those too) at 55 or under, I'd not consider boost in any form unless bragging rights. FYI, I'm not into the bragging rights either, I'm a use it or don't go there kind of guy. To be honest, I love curves and pushing it in them very hard. This Slingshot with the SC is a bit too much to push like I did (bury the pedal with RPM up into the curve, and drive thru it). Even though I lost a bit in the curves (at least until I learn how to deal with exiting them better) and about 5 MPG overall, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I loved my first Slingshot, my wife and I had so much fun with it! 49K in fact! But, this one is a beast, and I'm up for enjoying it! I am happy I traded, worth the cost, and no looking back!

EricRedSL do what you want. You can't realistically beg for both power and MPG on these (well you can, but good luck with that). There is a happy point between, choose power... choose MPG. Overall either SC or turbo is a good happy place between....

My two pennies are tossed out your way.....

• you hit the nail on the head. That's why I haven't boosted yet because I like my MPG but I would like more power at times especially when passing. But when I pass I usually shift into third nail it and it seems to do ok. I'm not a tire shredder and never will be so I guess I'll just wait and see what Polaris comes out with the 2020

• I've pretty much decided to go with a stage 1 turbo system from ZZP. I'll be taking a trip up to the wilds of Michigan this spring for a pro install and a new exhaust system... and maybe a couple other ZZP goodies.

Can't wait! :D

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Sounds like a good choice. Keep us posted on your MPG before and after but I'm the only one that seems to care about that when you go boost. I believe stage one doesn't use new injectors so did you ask them if your mile per gallon display and miles to empty will still be accurate?

• It will no longer even be remotely close. Assuming you are getting the "Big Kahuna" set up, that comes with new fuel rail and larger injectors. My computer shows I'm getting 48 MPG most of the time, but it's based on the smaller stock injector.

I look at MPG if it says 34 I know I can go 340+- miles and base how much further I can go to empty. I assume you should be able to flash the ECM to compensate for the different injectors. Wonder why they don't do that

All of the DDMWorks forced induction kits, with and without upgraded injectors now have the update in the tune to keep the MPG that the ECM reports on the dash correct and the same as with the stock tune, we have been shipping the kits that way for a couple months now.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• All of the DDMWorks forced induction kits, with and without upgraded injectors now have the update in the tune to keep the MPG that the ECM reports on the dash correct and the same as with the stock tune, we have been shipping the kits that way for a couple months now.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Well that's good to know! I haven't used my miles to empty since I installed my supercharger over 3 years ago. I will have to check it out and see if it works with the new tune Bob did on my ECM. :00000436:

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~