MeanSling Sport Top

• Has anyone installed this Top with an F4 +5 Windscreen and still have it open fully? I've emailed MeanSling today to see if he knows, but thought I'd ask here as well as on the other fourm. Without actually seeing one, it seems to me that perhaps the rear mount could be mounted higher (would require some fabrication) which might allow the top to be mounted a bit further back, thus making enough space forward to tilt it up.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

Edited once, last by ulflyer ().

• On the MeanSling site if you click on the Sport Top and then after it opens click under the price where it says read more it comes up with a list of what fits and what doesnot - here is the list of windshields:

i-GPMHxkL.png

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Also - I have changed my rear mount to mount it up a bit higher, but it does not change front clearances at all since the top swings up in the back to open. As to mounting it further back it might be possible if you mounted the latch Pin mounting bar on the back side of the roll hoops - you could probably move the entire top back maybe an inch - not much more before it hit the hoops, also the front pivot point mounts would have to be moved back on the A-arms and they are normally 1.5 inched from the end of the tube so again how far back the top could be moved would be limited

not sure if that would be enough to get to clear

as you can see in this snap the top is already very close to the hoops - I think even moving an inch further back might be pushing it, Simply potting the latch pin mount bar across the back of the hoops would be to far back for the latch to reach the Pin so you would need to build a spacer to mount to move the Pin back forward a bit - - - I am sure this could be done it would be an easy modification to what I already did to make my latch Pin mounting bar, but I seriously doubt the 1/2 to 1 inch you might gain is going to get you the clearance you would need

i-psQfVkS-X2.jpg

Having said all of this I switched to the OEM double bubble windshields earlier this year and I havent tried the top with them yet - when I do I am going to keep this idea in mind :thumbsup:

• Edward, thanks a lot for detailed info. Do you think it might help if the rear mount were raised higher up the roll bars? Perhaps on the rear?

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• frankly I think the only way you are going to get the answers you are looking for would be to buy the top and then see what you can do - - probably could turn into an expensive experiment if it doesnt work.

• for kicks I just tested the top with my double bubble windshields - haven't had the top on since switching to the bubbles - - anyway the top and double bubble combo is going to be okay - cant lift the back much more than a foot before the front hits, but that is enough - with the lift disconnected I can hold it open with a short length of pvc pipe in the back and its enough for me to duck under and get in and out

considering the fact that the top spends most of the time hanging in my garage this will be good enough

one of these days I might have to think about getting the MeanSling QuickShade - - - if it had existed at the time I probably would have gone that direction

• If you do, and the price is right, I've been waiting for an opportunity to purchase a mean Sling top at a gently used price.

I will keep this in mind - - as little as I even use the top I am reluctant to put any more mod money in this direction - the SportTop was bought knowing it would spend more time off than on and thats okay, its what I wanted, but spending more $$ for something that will spend an equal amount of time in hibernation is something I am still very unsure about

having said that if anything changes and you are still interested I am sure something could be worked out :thumbsup:

• Many thanks to you all and especially to Edward who provided such great details. Seems pretty obvious there is no way I can make it fit my +5 windscreen so I'll let go of that idea. Like Edward, It would probably spend more time hanging on garage wall anyway.:)

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Many thanks to you all and especially to Edward who provided such great details. Seems pretty obvious there is no way I can make it fit my +5 windscreen so I'll let go of that idea. Like Edward, It would probably spend more time hanging on garage wall anyway.:)

I hope my comment about it spending more time off the sling than on is not being taken as a negative thing - - this is exactly why I love the SportTop - I bought the slingshot for its openness, but unfortunately my wife does not like the sun - I love the sportTop because its there for me when my wife and I want to take a day trip - - with the possible exception of the QuickShade there is no other top that would fit my needs as perfectly as the SportTop - - I love it exactly because it can be off for me and in under 5 minutes be on for her

I am glad you found my comments helpful, just want to add this post to make sure my comments were not taken as something bad - I love my SportTop and if the quickShade did not exist I would buy another Sport Top in a second if something happened to the one I have