Value for trade in

• getting ready to trade in my 2016 SL LE black pearl with Slingshade roof. A Florida vehicle with 8500 miles in mint condition. Wondering what I might expect on a trade in on a late model Harley bagger or Indian bagger. Wife is ready to get back with me on two wheels so I guess the time is right.

• getting ready to trade in my 2016 SL LE black pearl with Slingshade roof. A Florida vehicle with 8500 miles in mint condition. Wondering what I might expect on a trade in on a late model Harley bagger or Indian bagger. Wife is ready to get back with me on two wheels so I guess the time is right.

I would not expect much over 15 to $16,000 if you sell it. My dealer is offering around $14,000 on trade in for the Indian motorcycle

• on the Indian site they have a link to calculate your trade in and it will work for a slingshot - I just looked at it but stopped when it wanted my e-mail

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just recently i was offered 16k for my 18 Sl with the slingshade.. with just under 10k miles, But that was for a trade on a new 2020 $38k Tri-Glide... Not interested in selling, I was just kicking tires..

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Frankly I think you should just keep the Slingshot and finance the Bagger - - - always good to have a backup in case one or the other is in the shop

• If at all possible you may want to keep the sling also. I've been riding two wheels for close to 40 years and bought the sling for a few reasons. First I noticed my legs cramping at red lights and second I thought it may be time for a change (and the sling just looks cool). When I first got the sling I thought it was great but lacked something on the motorcycle. Funny thing, I purchased a used motorcycle to discover how much the sling had grown on me. I have both, but now the sling is the ride of choice and the motorcycle doesn't get much ride time.

• If at all possible you may want to keep the sling also. I've been riding two wheels for close to 40 years and bought the sling for a few reasons. First I noticed my legs cramping at red lights and second I thought it may be time for a change (and the sling just looks cool). When I first got the sling I thought it was great but lacked something on the motorcycle. Funny thing, I purchased a used motorcycle to discover how much the sling had grown on me. I have both, but now the sling is the ride of choice and the motorcycle doesn't get much ride time.

Some days, you just have to see the horizon tilt. My 400 Yamaha sits patiently in the corner until the urge hits.

• Some days, you just have to see the horizon tilt. My 400 Yamaha sits patiently in the corner until the urge hits.

Agreed, same, although I continue to surprise myself how much the slingshot grows on me the more seat time I have. Still nice to have both if the situation allows!

First you have to find a Harley dealer that even wants it.

Put it on Craigslist and sell it yourself. You’ll get more money.

• They don't have to want it....The'll just wholesale it out,,,

Car selling 101.....

Your goal is to Get as close to retail as possible ....

Dealers goal Pay the seller at or below wholesale...

If you are just looking to get at or below wholesale don’t expect much...

On Craigslist you could get closer to retail than any dealer will pay you unless they haven’t sold anything for months...and need to buy bread.

• The intangibles here are that whatever you get for it as a private sale is really discounted by the amount of sale tax that you have to pay EXTRA since it wasn't traded to the dealer. Just because the dealer was going to allow you $1500 more in trade than you think you can get at retail, you can reduce that by 5% to 12% depending on your state and county tax rate. Plus a dealer has the ability to get easier financing for the used sale that you don't have the ability to do for your buyer. Sometimes taking a shorter buck and washing your hands of the whole thing is better in the long run than having something go wrong and a buyer looking for you to refund them some money. JMHO

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Or someone who realizes that the time and hassle required to sell it yourself is not worth it.

Now a days when you place a "nice vehicle" for sale you get 500 messages about people asking useless questions just to waste your time, then you get 100 of YouTube wannabe trying to go for a joy ride test drive.

Then there is also the tax benefit of a trade in, so you really have to ask yourself how much is your time and peace of mind worth?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• If you’re in a big hurry and don’t care about getting screwed you could “give it away” to we buy any car...

Given how many SS are for sale the chances of someone paying a "premium" on a used sling is going to be rare.

So lets say that I can sell one of my slings for 19k(ask 22k then sell after a long time for 19) but a dealer offers me 16k on a trade, I would trade it in a hard beat without a second though.

Here on MN trade-in vehicle value pays no tax so on that transaction If I sold it for 19k and then when to use that as a "down payment" I would have to shell out 1350 on tax so lets deduct that from the sale price and you end up with 17650, using the same train of though the 16000 trade in its actually worth 17200(1200 in tax that you did not have to pay by trading in)

So after all its said and done the actual difference between selling vs trading can be almost negligible and god only knows how much grief you will have to go through to do a private sale , again it may vary from person to person but to me is not worth it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I think one thing many people forget to add into the equation when doing something like this is the value of your own time. If you can be doing something else and making more money than you save selling it yourself then it makes more sense to do what you do and trade it in.

Even if you won't be doing something else your leisure time still has value

what is your time worth? what is the hourly rate you would expect if you gave that time to someone else?

when you sell a vehicle yourself you are giving the time you put into it to the buyer and if you are not adding what that time is worth into the price you charge then you are not getting what you are worth - you are selling yourself short

• My point was taking it to a Harley dealer that has no interest in taking it on trade or keeping it on his lot ....he’s going to low ball the crap out of it....

If the purpose is to just get rid of it and profit margin is of no interest....

This is what it says my 2015 base model is worth.....but it was dealer upgraded to an SL model and it doesn’t count my roof and other things.... it doesn’t take into account my over $8000 in mods...

The NADA is treating it like it’s a 2 wheeler.....it only lists motorcycle options....so if a Harley dealer goes by this he basically has not much to go on.....in his eyes the mods you put on it will be a reason for him to low ball even more...he has no way of knowing the value of them.

I don’t know which price guide a Harley dealer would be using....dealers can get the wholesale value guide....consumers get the retail and trade value guides...

An interested buyer would me more appreciative of your mod upgrades.....adding more value to the SS in his eyes.

Don’t forget the first question these guides want to know is your zip code....in Florida it could be worth more because you can ride all year.....or less because the market is saturated....

Kinda like in PA now it’s 4x4 season so two wheel drive vehicles aren’t worth as much now. I only know one guy that rides his bike all year long....snow and cold mean nothing to him....a few years ago we had 6” of snow and 10 degree windchill....he took it pup tent camping in the mountains.....I didn’t even want to stick my hand outside to get the mail out of my box....