• So I've had my SS about 3 months now and have put about 3500 miles on it, a good portion of which was a trip to Key West in September. When I bought it I was convinced I'd never want or need a roof, but I'm starting to question that. Sitting in stop and go traffic in the Sling in the noon day sun when it's 96 degrees can suck the fun out of the whole experience. So basically I'm looking for some feedback. Those of you who have installed roof systems, over all are you glad you did? Any particular brand or model that's the gold standard? Are some better than others at freeway speeds, etc? I like the Sling Shade, but not the 3k price tag. For 3k I could put on a DDMworks stage 1 TC, but that's a whole other post :P.

• I have the Twist Dynamics canvas top and am glad that I do.

It does provide welcome relief on those hot sunny days in stop and go traffic.

For me it has paid for itself on a few rides where I’ve ridden 100+ miles in heavy rain. While it did not block all rain it did reduce things enough that I was far more comfortable.

As a plus it can come off in less than 5 minutes when I want to go topless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2018 Slingshot SL

Sunset Red

Reading, PA 19606

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• I figure you are going to get a lot of responses to your questions. I did my due diligence and decided to go with twist dynamics canvas top. The deciding factor on this was that I was able to install and take off a luggage rack across the top. I can also take the canvas off very easily and store it during days when the sun feels good on you.

• If you will do a search and you will find bukoo info on this topic. A quick personal experience, we own the MeanSling Sport Top. This top is very well made and priced lower than most other tops on the market, we would recommend it. It does a wonderful job of reducing turbulence within the passenger compartment going down the highway making for a buffet free ride. It also provides additional protection from objects being picked up off the road from traffic and being thrown our way.

But, we do have an issue with that even though it provides shade, the summertime heat that is retained in the passenger compartment can negate any benefit with summertime riding, (I am summarizing that this may be true with all tops?) We are fortunate enough to also have a Madstad adjustable windshield so on the highway we can raise the windshield all the way to allow circulation. Others have added Baker Wings. But, sitting in stop-n-go traffic it can get real real warm and uncomfortable. Thus, we typically remove the top in the summer time, and run it primarily in the winter time.

So, at least with us, this top has several positive attributes, but using it as a sun shade off the highway unfortunately is not one of them.

Bill

• How is it at freeway speeds? Does it flap/make a bunch of noise? BTW, I'm KK4UMI :).

• If you will do a search and you will find bukoo info on this topic.

Therein lies the problem. You may have to read 100 posts in 10 different threads to get the answer to 2 or 3 questions. It's one of the issues with ANY web forum. It would be cool if someone could create a forum with some kind of intelligent indexing and aggregation that could automatically create a FAQ out of unstructured post data. But until then, the same questions will sometimes get asked over and over.

I didn't consider the possibility that a roof would trap cabin heat. I imagine thee Slingshade would be even worse than a canvas top in that regard. Good info. Thanks :)

• I figure you are going to get a lot of responses to your questions. I did my due diligence and decided to go with twist dynamics canvas top. The deciding factor on this was that I was able to install and take off a luggage rack across the top. I can also take the canvas off very easily and store it during days when the sun feels good on you.

OK, the luggage rack is nice! I could have used that while trying to carry 10 days worth of cloths, etc. on my trip to Key West.

• Therein lies the problem. You may have to read 100 posts in 10 different threads to get the answer to 2 or 3 questions. It's one of the issues with ANY web forum. It would be cool if someone could create a forum with some kind of intelligent indexing and aggregation that could automatically create a FAQ out of unstructured post data. But until then, the same questions will sometimes get asked over and over.

I didn't consider the possibility that a roof would trap cabin heat. I imagine thee Slingshade would be even worse than a canvas top in that regard. Good info. Thanks :)

I have the UP Top which is no longer available, one of the first ones that were made and shipped out. The reason is skin cancer. I have never had a problem with the top and it has never been off since it was installed and I have never heard of a top creating heat in the cabin, only tall wind screens do that and give you a problem with gas fumes.

• I have the Twist Canvas top...and it's my 3rd different top. I have had the Bullet Canvas, Twist Gullwing, and now the Twist Canvas top. Of the 3 I have been happiest with the Canvas top. The Bullet V-back had some odd fitment issues. The Twist Gullwing just didn't give me enough open air feel, so the Twist Canvas works great. 9 times out of 10 I cruise around with out the canvas. Whey it rains it goes on quickly. I have taken it on a 3K mile road trip and it was great in the heat and doesn't flap around.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Twist canvas. I'm in TX, have taken it off once. It doesn't stop the sun from coming in on the sides (None do), but it does give relief.

I also keep a spare long sleeve, dry wicking shirt in a zip lock bag in a cubby, in case I forget to take one. Has been handy to prevent sun burns and if it gets chilly at night.

• I bought the quickshade from meansling this past spring. I'm 6'2" and I had a problem with all the tops I tried on other slings reducing my vision of the road ahead. The quickshade was the only top option that I found that didn't impede my sight lines while driving. The meansling quickshade is a great option if you want to go topless most of the time and just want to put it on when the temps get hot. It is a mesh fabric so you can still see through it even when it is on. Takes minutes to put on and take off and the whole thing goes in a bag that fits behind the seat. I traded a bike for the sling so I wanted that open feel and something that I could take on and off easily. This is the most minimalist top out there on the market that I could find and very happy with it after a summer of driving with it.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• We have a Twist GullWing. Love it! The smoked plastic gives plenty of open air feel while keeping the direct sun off my face most of the time. Combined with the Madstad windshield we have all the ventilation you could ask for and almost zero fumes in the cockpit. I’ve looked at others and wouldn’t replace it for the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I've actually seen a SS with that one on it and it seems really well made. Strangely, slingmods says it's been discontinued, but it appears to still be available on Twist Dynamic's site.

Edit: Actually it appears that Slingmods has stopped selling TD stuff altogether...

• Well personally I own the slingshade. It was 2500 in 2017 when I put it on but I love the way it looks, I love how it does on the highway, very little wind gets in, but a lot of that is because of the windshield that I have also. they work hand in hand. I think that if you can get past the price of it, the slingshade, (to me) looks the best and gives it a sporty look.

• I think that if you can get past the price of it, the slingshade, (to me) looks the best and gives it a sporty look.

Yeah, that's the thing that makes me gravitate towards the shade. It doesn't look aftermarket, like most of the other solutions. However, when I bought my SS they had a SS there that had the shade on it and I had some concerns about the quality and fit and finish. I may have to go give it another look.

• I have not had any issues out of it at all. some have complained that the wings might warp but I haven't had any problems. I think it makes it look more like the batmobile lol and less of an off road type vehicle. personally I don't like the flat top types. but that is just me.

• You definitely want a top, regardless of brand. I drove Sling to Maggie Valley from Ft. Myers FL in 2015 without a top and was miserable between being wet, melting from heat and sunburn. Got a U.P. top (now Fab Factory) which I don't think is even still available (see link) and drove up to MV again in 2016 and it was a hundred times better..Cooler, no sunburn and less wet.

https://slingshotonly.com/pola…p-2017-polaris-slingshot/

• You definitely want a top, regardless of brand. I drove Sling to Maggie Valley from Ft. Myers FL in 2015 without a top and was miserable between being wet, melting from heat and sunburn. Got a U.P. top (now Fab Factory) which I don't think is even still available (see link) and drove up to MV again in 2016 and it was a hundred times better..Cooler, no sunburn and less wet.

https://slingshotonly.com/pola…p-2017-polaris-slingshot/

Yup. The round trip to Key West in September with no top convinced me that I probably need to invest in one.