Truly a Happy Customer with My Dual W.P. exhaust

• Ok so I have the cat delete W.P. Dual exhaust and I'm happy with it Except the RUBBING AGAINST MY REAR TIRE....WTF.....and I have the stock 18" rear on there but about to get NEW WHEELS .....Now for all of those that know Jeff and have told me I should call him .........Well I called and spoke with him explained the situation and my unhappiness with this issue back in Sept, than I sent him a few messages on here and left my name & address on his cell voice mail & office voice mail, a few weeks ago...........I give up , chasing after someone for something as dropping the new band clamp in the mail , isn't good customer service , I don't care how busy you are ! This issue bothers me so much , I might sell this exhaust system for something that doesn't rub against my tire.....Now I'm not bashing the exhaust but every Slingshot event I've been to from D.C. to N.Y. , I've seen the same rubbing issues on other Slingshots , now they may be fine with it BUT IM NOT !

• Ok so I have the cat delete W.P. Dual exhaust and I'm happy with it Except the RUBBING AGAINST MY REAR TIRE....WTF.....and I have the stock 18" rear on there but about to get NEW WHEELS .....Now for all of those that know Jeff and have told me I should call him .........Well I called and spoke with him explained the situation and my unhappiness with this issue back in Sept, than I sent him a few messages on here and left my name & address on his cell voice mail & office voice mail, a few weeks ago...........I give up , chasing after someone for something as dropping the new band clamp in the mail , isn't good customer service , I don't care how busy you are ! This issue bothers me so much , I might sell this exhaust system for something that doesn't rub against my tire.....Now I'm not bashing the exhaust but every Slingshot event I've been to from D.C. to N.Y. , I've seen the same rubbing issues on other Slingshots , now they may be fine with it BUT IM NOT !

I have one of his very first installs with the Welter Duals when he came to Maggie Valley the first year. I have never had this problem and I probably have about 70,000 miles on it since the install. The only problem I ever had was with the Assault rear fender and the duals, but I solved that problem also.

Do you have a picture of how it is rubbing? From what you are describing, it sounds like the exhaust is too far towards the back. If that is the case, when it was installed the pipes may not have been slid into each other far enough, which causes the last pipe (the Y-pipe in this case) to be too far back. We have ran into this a couple times when working on Slingshots here. To fix it, we just loosen the clamps on all the sections of the exhaust and get them to go in a little further, then tighten everything all the way down. We have never had a problem with getting the Y pipe to almost touch the back plastic, it should be that close. However, only 1/4" at all of the connections will push that exhaust back 3/4", which is easy to do.

Hope that helps you,

Dave

• I thought about that myself BUT I'm not about to take it apart or even loosen everything to just find out that it's not moving any closer or I'm still having the same issue, when this MOD will do the trick....

WP Dual Exhaust Mod - Avoid Rubbing Issues (Walk-Through)

....I installed the system myself and though you are probably more a pro at this than I am, I fully know how to slide a pipe into a hole (I have 3 sons lmao) and to make sure it's fully inserted ...

But being my bike season is just about over , I will begin work on it to either A remedy it or B get rid of it

Mod Season #3 about to begin

• ....I installed the system myself and though you are probably more a pro at this than I am, I fully know how to slide a pipe into a hole (I have 3 sons lmao) and to make sure it's fully inserted ...

LOL, I would say you are more of a pro than I am, no kids here, just a couple dogs ;)

How far is the Y pipe off of the back plastic?

Dave

• I've installed my exhaust 4 times now, and helped Mim do his, those pipes can be hard to get all the way in without lubrication. As a person with 3 kids, you know what I'm talking about there :)

It's easy to think you have it in all the way, but without marking the pipe before you insert it, you won't know for sure. Dave may be on the right track.

However, 2W2X1 mentioned that on the very early versions of the WP exhaust, he had a similar problem and cut off the end of the Y-pipe to move it closer to the front, away from the tire.

• Just for the record, I have the 2 1/2" Welter exhaust for turbo/supercharger application and there is no rubbing on my 20" tire or the Assault fender I have as well. The Y-Pipe is about 1/2" from the rear panel and has not caused any heat issues with being that close.

On another note, Jeff has always been responsive to any of my questions either by email or phone, however, all of his support was prior to going to Twist Dynamics. It is disappointing to hear that you are not getting the support you need or would like from him when most of us are happy with his product. I feel confident you will get your issue fixed if you do not give up.

• LOL, I would say you are more of a pro than I am, no kids here, just a couple dogs ;)

How far is the Y pipe off of the back plastic?

Dave

....lost my partner/dog about 8 months ago .....sometimes I wish I could trade my 3 sons in to get my Boxer back :D Kids are stressful , dogs are stress relievers and my 3 cats but back to this exhaust ......

....my space is about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 .....

...also I hope you all understand I'm not bashing the product , love em BUT don't love the rubbing and I'm 100% sure it will get fixed by the beginning of the next season, new wheels ...nah homey ain't going to play that lol....

......I will get that space to 3/4 to 7/8 or else :00000028:

......and can the W.P. exhaust gods answer this question if I can get another inch closer would the hole haved LINED UP where the bracket attaches near the battery....:/

• My experience with the Welter is that the whole fitment is a rather organic experience, in that everything ultimately affects everything else. Getting all the pipes to line up just so takes some doing, and you've got some fine tips on this thread: lubing the joints so they'll slide together more readily is a great one, as is marking the pipes so you know when you're not at full penetration.

I suggest you take these suggestions to heart, which means dismantling, marking, and lubing. At that point, re-assemble and keep an open mind. Twist and urge and experiment until it all goes together as is intended. It will get there. Just be methodical and patient and thorough.

Now I will be a bit more firm: the title you chose for your thread is a tad severe. Listen, it's not my place to tell you how to conduct yourself in public, I know. Far be it from me to assume that's my role. That said, usually such language is reserved for a more troubling customer experience. I'm confident you'd not want to cast shade, or doubt, upon a company that didn't deserve it. It pays to be a team player in this community. Maybe a title like "Need assistance with Welter exhaust" would have pushed better buttons. Take this as you will, I mean it in the most helpful way possible. We are all in this together, and the team just meshes better when we are teaming, not steaming ;)

• I had an issue with mine....I did not cut the bracket...

But I did remove an inch of pipe. Can’t remember which one I cut now....sorry

If your pipe is too close to the bathtub you might see some plastic melting in spots.

I split the difference between the tire and the tub.

You may also want to get a rear end protector plate from our very own slinglow to prevent the melting and dress up your rear...really nice product.

• ... Bill from Hahn RaceCraft ....I kind of like the title ..after multi attempts what more can I say .....it's the Truth and I always speak the truth......And I knew for a fact , that there alot of owners on here who either know personally or thru Slingshots, Jeff Welter .....So this starts the conversation and hopefully Spurs some action !

• The entire time I was installing my exhaust and removing my exhaust and installing my exhaust That day I was swearing and wishing the pipes would have been marked with hash marks to show exactly how each pipe should align with the other..since there is the one in the tunnel that needs to be rotated precisely to get it to fit right. And hash marks to show how far to insert them.....and a tube of KY Jelly...:thumbsup:

• Any lubricant would work, I used vaseline and Mim used some hand lotion I think. It makes a big difference.

Marking the pipe helps on how far it goes in, and once you work out the layout, marking that helps as well, if you ever take it off.

Then again, having v-band clamps put in place of the pipe connections works wonders. I recommend these affordable ones : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0743BB2WP

• And I freaked out on the way home... There was some smoke coming up the tyranny tunnel in the cockpit... Very faint but noticed it with the sun.

Then I thought, maybe it's the cobwebs and spiders in the exhaust pipes that likely made their way there while stored in my garage... Or the lube burning off...

Either way, it stopped and all good. 👍🏼

Do you have aftermarket coils? It could also be they are too soft causing it to rub when bouncing? Or does it rub all the time?

• I hope I never have to remove it. I used the sealer stuff on the joints....probably a big mistake.

If the pipe is rubbing the tire it needs to be shortened by about an inch at the last joint before it turns up the back end. Thinking back on it that’s probably why I cut mine off....it could have been too close to the tire...

• yeah, I had an imperfection in shipping on one of the male tubes, so when it was inserted, didn't make a perfect seal and leaked, so had to pull it apart and use the sealant. The next time I had to remove, was a pita...

ask Slopoke how much trouble it was to get my exhaust off when trying to install the trakhamr...