Wanting to do upgrades but is it worth it?

• The cost I am trying to weigh in is this. My sling originally was 23K. I bought the 2017 base model and have put about another 15 when you add everything in. But some of the things that I really want are kind of crazy and I have to really think what I really want versus what I think I really want lol. I want to do the Trakhammer quad kit, $10K, I want to do the 4 seater conversion, $10K, I want to put on turbo, $3K to $5K. I want to put in the hood mesh and a couple of other small items but for the 3 major things. they all cost more than what I originally spent buying the slingshot. Are they worth going out and spending the money on? Plus after reading other quad kit builds lists, I would have to figure out how to get the 4th wheel to look like the ones I have now. they are custom built. and I would have to put in another 1500 for seats because I have PRP suspension seats. so the quad kit would raise up another $2K at least. wife is going to hate me after all is said and done. I mean she detests me now, but will hate me then lol.

• Can you afford it without putting yourself or your family through hardship? if the answer is yes then go ahead and enjoy your sling the way you want it.

Think about this, two weeks in europe will cost anywhere from 10k+++ and only last you 2 weeks so in comparison a Trak-Hammr/turbo/etc is a much better investment since you will potentially enjoy it for much longer than a trip.

One thing is make sure that whenever you do upgrades on a recreational vehicle make sure you do them while being conscious about the fact that's money that you will not make back once you sell the vehicle and that your only profit will be whatever smiles and memories you make while you have it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• You need to ask yourself some difficult questions to determine your course of action. Try to answer as honestly as possible:

1) Do I really like this wife?

2) If so, what is the chance of her actually leaving?

3) Is sleeping in the Big Bed your first choice?

4)Would a change in partners be an upgrade or a downgrade?

5)Would a change in partners involve a major financial hit?

Only when you have this information clearly in front of you can you make the proper decisions. Choose wisely young Jedi!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I've posted this before but it's still relevant.

What you need is:

1) A business credit card.

2) A secret email address.

3) Shipping to your buddy's house.

4) Installation while the wife is at work/shopping/asleep.

I have another strategy for weapons. When I buy a new one I will put it in the back of the safe for a few months before the wife sees it. If it catches her eye when I pull it out and she says 'I haven't seen that one before', I tell her 'Oh that? That's been in there a LONG time!'

Ain't I a peach?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• The cost I am trying to weigh in is this. My sling originally was 23K. I bought the 2017 base model and have put about another 15 when you add everything in. But some of the things that I really want are kind of crazy and I have to really think what I really want versus what I think I really want lol. I want to do the Trakhammer quad kit, $10K, I want to do the 4 seater conversion, $10K, I want to put on turbo, $3K to $5K. I want to put in the hood mesh and a couple of other small items but for the 3 major things. they all cost more than what I originally spent buying the slingshot. Are they worth going out and spending the money on? Plus after reading other quad kit builds lists, I would have to figure out how to get the 4th wheel to look like the ones I have now. they are custom built. and I would have to put in another 1500 for seats because I have PRP suspension seats. so the quad kit would raise up another $2K at least. wife is going to hate me after all is said and done. I mean she detests me now, but will hate me then lol.

Save that same amount plus $50,000 more for the upcoming divorce...plus lawyer fees...

The woman is entitled to half of everything without a fight....the fight will be for the half that’s left and she’ll get half of that....

You need an intervention....your mod fever went into orbit.... Mod Fever Anonymous...has weekly meetings... I’ll pray for your recovery....

• You gotta ease her into this. Use the snowball method. Start with the least inexpensive parts first, just the tip.

Once she's used to that much, do a bit more.

She'll either get used to it, or scream at you, then just back off and try again later :)

well like I originally stated I bought it as a base model, and have put at least $15K into it so far. there is NO easing into it now lol. Plus this isn't showing the seats I have in it now or some of the stuff under the hood lol.

• Works for me, but hell I just go and buy it anyway. She just tells me that whatever I want I just go and buy anyway.. Ain't no use for her to even try and buy me anything

• You'all are missing the point. The question raised was "IS IT WORTH IT?" The post mod values only matter if you are trying to sell it. Everything you purchase in life (minor exceptions being most housing, rare coins or artwork and collectibles) losses value over time. If you have the funds to do it, the desire to enjoy it, and it doesn't impact the quality of your life negatively, then by all means go for it. if however you have to stop paying bills, saving for your retirement or funding your childrens' college fund, then do not even think of doing it

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Yeah, first world problems, lads.

I save up for mods by doing all the grocery shopping and tacking $10 cash back each trip and stuffing it into the mattress until I can afford something for cash.

The Captain knows this trick of course, but the bleed off is so slow it's like the mosquito and the ox... not noticed.

If you wonder how I got the sling in the first place? I held my breath until I turned blue...

It took about 7 months.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• When I want a new mod I just go to my side business and work some more. There are a lot of street corners :00008356:but in all seriousness my wife has been good with my mod buys so far as its side money I use and not the house account money. Next mod I am leaning towards is a built motor. Why? I don't know just so I can turn up the boost and buy more tires:00008040:

• its the same with me. all the bills are paid to include kids college monies pulled out and the retirement set aside. but still paying another 20K is like buying a new sling. that is how my wife wants me to see it. I am basically buying a new slingshot and well she cant swallow that pill no matter what I giver her to wash it down with. so I think these may end up on the wish list and stay there. thanks for the insight,

• @NNEVES57   Everybody, Funinthesun , Neosolidus, Slinglow , Airoutlaw and others have had some very sound input here regarding mods (and wifes) and have pretty much nailed it right on the head for most mods.

Though I do have one other thought and its one I practise myself. As the four wheel conversions are a very niche market and relatively new, I believe there will always be guys inquiring who would be interested on a good deal on a used one, Especially one like the Trak Hamr which is such a quick and easy install, six bolts, and they all come completely remanufactured , as new , final gears, bearings , bushings, etc so they are good for many more miles than most will ever put on.

Consequently , what I have done and recommend everyone do, is keep your entire removed stock rear driveline, and if you ever do decide to sell your slingshot ,you can reinstall it and then offer your removed Trak Hamr for sale separately . Your Sling should then fetch every bit as much money as it would have prior to converting and then you could recoup most of your Trak Hamr mod money by selling it as a slightly used conversion kit. In a small niche market I think a lot of conversion kit inquirers would gladly consider saving some money for a lightly used kit. And so that is my plan , if I ever decide to sell my converted Slingshot used , it will be reverted back to stock , then I think I will find the used Trak Hamr is the one mods I could recoupe most of my money on should I need too, though the plan is to switch it over too a new Sling someday. Hopefully new Slingshot, same wife !