Safety Recall T‑19‑01

• I am sorry, but WTF does your AC panel have to do with the DC fuse block on our slingshots . Just trying to make it transfer over?????????

the slingshot chassis circuit is too small for the addition of extra electrical stuff. The chassis circuit needs to be split up in at least two separate circuits.

I gave an example of how I split up my 8 house circuits into 34 circuits by splitting and adding addition circuits. This info was provided to inform people that are not familiar with how house wiring works to possibly prevent a potential problem from overloading their circuits.

I also mentioned I added a large 100 amp circuit to my slingshot tapped directly from the battery.

It’s very easy to assume electrical circuits 110 volt or 12 volt can handle what ever we attach to them. This is clearly a mistake and can prove deadly if you over load your house circuit and burn down the house. The example I gave shows that many of our major electrical appliances need to be put on separate circuits because of the surge they create when the motors start. My house 8 circuit electrical panel was great in 1950.... not so much today.

Polaris didn’t take into account that people would be adding upgraded lights and horns and stereos and whatever else sucks up electricity. The chassis circuit is being pushed way over its designed limit. The 50 amp square fuse has tiny little prongs that can not handle the heat our accessories are creating. The J Case is melting before the fuse blows.

Polaris is admitting they screwed up and the fuse fix proves that.

• FZ-1 Accessory Fuse Block for the Polaris Slingshot Glad I added this to mine and inline fuse right off the battery to power it up. Being a retired Mechanic all my connections and terminal ends are soldered and heat shrink.

I got rid of my fuse box like this. Installed the neutrino instead.

The description says each circuit can handle up to 10 amps. That makes 60 amps total.

The wiring provided comes with a 30 amp fuse......

Where is the other 30 amps suppose to go?

Technically it’s only good for 30 amps unless to upgrade the hot feed wire to one that can handle 60 amps and a 60 amp fuse.

• 100 volts AC vs 12 volts DC

Both have electrical power sources

Both use different gauge insulated wires to transmit electrical current

Both use on/off switches

Both use hot wires and ground wires

Both use fuses or breakers and fuse boxes

Both have electrical circuits protected by fuses

Those fuses can be overloaded and blow.

Both can power lights and other gadgets

Both are subject to resistance heat build up

Both can cause fires if improperly overloaded

Both have plastic and metal components that can suffer catastrophic failures.

Both are subject to damage from power surges

Sorry, move along there is nothing here to see...

• I think I will just take my sling in for the recall, let them do what they are advised to do and skip all this mental masturbation.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Just got back from the dealer. It sure was hard to go back to work. 52 degrees and bright sunny day. Now I can install the Neutrino fuse box that Santa delivered early last night. Let the light show begin!

2019 GT

Three years of too much stuff to list

• It's been a long time since I've been on the forum but this issue just started on my slingshot. I was driving down the freeway and all of the sudden my instrument cluster and radio shut off then immediately came back on. I didn't think it was a big deal until last week I went out to eat and when I tried to go home my slingshot would start but no lights, radio and instrument cluster. I called Dangerdarell and he ask me if I had the recall done. I decided not to drive it home so I left it at the resturant. The next morning it started and everything worked . I don't remember getting a notification about it, so i thought everything was up-to-date. After researching the issue I called my dealer, they are backed up for three weeks and they don't have the parts to fix it. I'm in a fix because right now my slingshot is my primary vehicle. I think I'm going fix it myself by replacing the three fuses.

• It's been a long time since I've been on the forum but this issue just started on my slingshot. I was driving down the freeway and all of the sudden my instrument cluster and radio shut off then immediately came back on. I didn't think it was a big deal until last week I went out to eat and when I tried to go home my slingshot would start but no lights, radio and instrument cluster. I called Dangerdarell and he ask me if I had the recall done. I decided not to drive it home so I left it at the resturant. The next morning it started and everything worked . I don't remember getting a notification about it, so i thought everything was up-to-date. After researching the issue I called my dealer, they are backed up for three weeks and they don't have the parts to fix it. I'm in a fix because right now my slingshot is my primary vehicle. I think I'm going fix it myself by replacing the three fuses.

it’s not the fuses....it’s the fuse block/box that is melting....

• [quote='Bigdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8458-safety-recall-t-19-01/&postID=307773#post307773']

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum but this issue just started on my slingshot. I was driving down the freeway and all of the sudden my instrument cluster and radio shut off then immediately came back on. I didn't think it was a big deal until last week I went out to eat and when I tried to go home my slingshot would start but no lights, radio and instrument cluster. I called Dangerdarell and he ask me if I had the recall done. I decided not to drive it home so I left it at the resturant. The next morning it started and everything worked . I don't remember getting a notification about it, so i thought everything was up-to-date. After researching the issue I called my dealer, they are backed up for three weeks and they don't have the parts to fix it. I'm in a fix because right now my slingshot is my primary vehicle. I think I'm going fix it myself by replacing the three fuses.

it’s not the fuses....it’s the fuse block/box that is melting....

[/quote]

Here is what I found. I can't wait for it to be fixed by the dealer so I'm replacing the fuse block with this https://www.waytekwire.com/ite…3-X-MIDI-PDM-Fuse-Holder/

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I wouldn't drive it. My 2015 fuse box melted a couple years ago when I was over a hundred miles from home. Fortunately I was able to make it to the Polaris Slingshot dealer. It went out on me 4 or five times heading to the dealer but each time I was able to restart it and finally get it there. Took about eight or nine weeks to get it back. Polaris would not cover it since I was out if warranty by 10 days

but since the recall they refunded me the money.

• [quote='EricRedSL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8458-safety-recall-t-19-01/&postID=307785#post307785']

I wouldn't drive it. My 2015 fuse box melted a couple years ago when I was over a hundred miles from home. Fortunately I was able to make it to the Polaris Slingshot dealer. It went out on me 4 or five times heading to the dealer but each time I was able to restart it and finally get it there. Took about eight or nine weeks to get it back. Polaris would not cover it since I was out if warranty by 10 days

but since the recall they refunded me the money.

[/quote]

I can't now anyway the fuse was burned info the fuse block and broke when I was trying to check it. The good thing for me I've worked on electrical systems for most of my life so it won't be hard to fix. The parts I need will be delivered tomorrow, they only cost $50 including shipping. Thanks for your input.

• I haven't had any electrical problems, but...

Notice the black plastic is from the Fuse Box and not the Fuse...

DDM Stage 3 Turbo / Intercooler / Fuel Rail / Track Clutch

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

Stock: 305/45R18 Nitto NT555R not enough traction

• [quote='Airborne','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8458-safety-recall-t-19-01/&postID=307790#post307790']

I haven't had any electrical problems, but...

Notice the black plastic is from the Fuse Box and not the Fuse...

slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/107190/

slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/107191/

[/quote]

Did you have the recall inspection? I would be leery of driving it with a burnt fuse. It will cause more overheating and possibly a fire. Plus you can loose all lights and instrumentation.

• alburl

I forgot to fix this last weekend...

Do you know if you just lose driving lights and instruments? Wondering if it will still drive, I know the sling will drive normal without the instrument cluster as I forget to turn them on sometimes.

P.S. Lost my key, rewired my ignition, then found my key the next week. :D

Magnaflow Short Exhaust / GM 2 Bar MAP Sensor / 60# Fuel Injectors / AEM Air/fuel Gauge / Glow Shift Boost Gauge

Stock: Radiator, Coolant Resevoir, ECU with Tune, Intake Manifold, Suspension, Brakes

• [quote='Airborne','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8458-safety-recall-t-19-01/&postID=307794#post307794']

alburl

I forgot to fix this last weekend...

Do you know if you just lose driving lights and instruments? Wondering if it will still drive, I know the sling will drive normal without the instrument cluster as I forget to turn them on sometimes.

P.S. Lost my key, rewired my ignition, then found my key the next week. :D

slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/107192/

[/quote]

It will still drive without any lights, including no headlights, turn signals, stop lights and no instrument cluster.

If you remember Eureka Springs Sept 2015 .... I had the newest Slingshot there. This is the problem that 'cooked' the fuse box and replaced the 2015 fuse box with a 2016 fuse box ---it came with the new Slingshot rapped around it. The way it's set up, if the fuse box is bad it's a complete rewire.

• [quote='EjFord','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8458-safety-recall-t-19-01/&postID=307805#post307805']

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum but this issue just started on my slingshot. I was driving down the freeway and all of the sudden my instrument cluster and radio shut off then immediately came back on. I didn't think it was a big deal until last week I went out to eat and when I tried to go home my slingshot would start but no lights, radio and instrument cluster. I called Dangerdarell and he ask me if I had the recall done. I decided not to drive it home so I left it at the resturant. The next morning it started and everything worked . I don't remember getting a notification about it, so i thought everything was up-to-date. After researching the issue I called my dealer, they are backed up for three weeks and they don't have the parts to fix it. I'm in a fix because right now my slingshot is my primary vehicle. I think I'm going fix it myself by replacing the three fuses.

If you remember Eureka Springs Sept 2015 .... I had the newest Slingshot there. This is the problem that 'cooked' the fuse box and replaced the 2015 fuse box with a 2016 fuse box ---it came with the new Slingshot rapped around it. The way it's set up, if the fuse box is bad it's a complete rewire.

[/quote]

Yes how are have been?

• Wow, do you actually drive that on the road like that? If so,.. well, ok

• Shatneyman

I’d take of the passenger seat, if it didn’t make for a great backpack holder...

Still might take it off :/