Belt tention is a must

• I have been getting this squalling noise that would go away after a few min. It had gotten worse and worse, sounded like a squalling bearing. At the Eureka Springs meet someone pushed on my belt and was like dam dude that is way loose. Yesterday the squalling was horrible and would not quit. It squalled on acceleration and cruising speed. So I decided to tighten the belt. I noticed the belt was so loose it was rubbing the frame. I am sure this was the reason for the noise. So did a search and found a great video step by step instructions. I used a breaker bar to break bolts loose but did most things like the video. It is not a hard task but it is not a simple 10 min procedure, when you are a fat ass like me with a bad back it is a hard core workout. So for the next week or so I will not be moving very good. Anyway my flex was over 1/2 inch and should only be 5/16. It fixed it and seems to launch a lot better also. So anyone with a squalling noise check your belt. I am posting the video below I used he has a lot of good info as to torquing the nut and bolts after breaking loose so adjustment does not change after final torque and what to torque first and the tools needed. I had to go buy a 30mm socket. If anyone has any questions I can answer them because I just did this process and it is something anyone can do if you can get on the ground and back up many times.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Yep, pretty easy to do. And you don't need to get on/off the ground that much.

• Take off the gear cover (ok, so you may have to be on the ground for this).
    • Break the angle drive nut. I ended up buying a 30mm deep impact socket from Autozone (~$12) that fit perfectly with a 2' long 1/2 drive breaker bar from Harbor Freight (~$10). You only need to take about 1/4-1/2 turn out of the nut so you don't need to take it too far. I was able to get my socket/breaker bar in from behind just about perfect instead of underneath as shown in the video. I didn't have to get on the ground for this.
    • Using a 15mm socket on a 6" extension, adjust the final drive position in 1/4 turn increments. Remember: Lefty-Loosey, Righty-Tighty. The hole for it is right behind the passenger seat. Check your belt after each 1/4 turn - it doesn't take much to tighten that belt a lot.
    • Retighten that angle nut with the same socket. Heck, I don't think i even actually took the socket off the nut while adjusting the belt.
    • Put the cover back on.
    • Drink a beer in celebration of a job well done!
  • all good information to have and I have bookmarked this for future use.

one thing I would like to know is if everything is done right and all bolts properly tightened what would cause it to get out of adjustment? - - can the belt stretch?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Using a 15mm socket on a 6" extension, adjust the final drive position in 1/4 turn increments. Remember: Lefty-Loosey, Righty-Tighty. The hole for it is right behind the passenger seat. Check your belt after each 1/4 turn - it doesn't take much to tighten that belt a lot.

18mm socket. Did you not loosen the 2 bolts around the sprocket? Video said to loosen and torque to 15 foot lbs for adjustment. They are 85 foot lbs running position. The big nut is 190 foot lbs. I swear I was made at least a full turn if not more, it was way loose. I swear I was up and down 50 freaking times lol.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Ya'know, I don't remember now. 15ft lbs is what you do with a screwdriver, so it's pretty lite torque. That's just to keep everything attached while adjusting. I just lifted on the breaker bar until it wasn't going any more (sorry, no torque wrench). 190 is pretty high so I should have been close. (Listen to me not caring about torque - I used to be a Huey mechanic and I even know what "drag torque" is! Sarge would be pixxed at me!)

• Ya'know, I don't remember now. 15ft lbs is what you do with a screwdriver, so it's pretty lite torque. That's just to keep everything attached while adjusting. I just lifted on the breaker bar until it wasn't going any more (sorry, no torque wrench). 190 is pretty high so I should have been close. (Listen to me not caring about torque - I used to be a Huey mechanic and I even know what "drag torque" is! Sarge would be pixxed at me!)

• Yep, pretty easy to do. And you don't need to get on/off the ground that much.

• Take off the gear cover (ok, so you may have to be on the ground for this).
    • Break the angle drive nut. I ended up buying a 30mm deep impact socket from Autozone (~$12) that fit perfectly with a 2' long 1/2 drive breaker bar from Harbor Freight (~$10). You only need to take about 1/4-1/2 turn out of the nut so you don't need to take it too far. I was able to get my socket/breaker bar in from behind just about perfect instead of underneath as shown in the video. I didn't have to get on the ground for this.
    • Retighten that angle nut with the same socket. Heck, I don't think i even actually took the socket off the nut while adjusting the belt.
    • Put the cover back on.
    • Drink a beer in celebration of a job well done!

Can you bring stuff to check my adj. on the 26th? I'll call you.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Yeah, Charles' ass is so big, he doesn't need a belt...

:D

Reminds me of that show "My 600lbs Life"... I bet he wears bed sheets since his ass is too large to wear standard pants. :D

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I'd like to add that the belt does not actually stretch...instead, it wears, causing it to be looser over time.

Thanks for that input. I also want to add to this area of belt wear. Clean the drive pulleys and the belt frequently. Dirt is an abrasive that causes wear. Hard exhilaration is another source of belt wear. This will also cause the pulleys to wear, so down the road if you don't take care of it, the belt and pulleys will let you down. By the way, dirt is a big form of noise from belt squeal. Clean belts run better.