Belt tention is a must

• I will add that removing the belt guard makes it much easier to scrub the teeth of the belt with a scrub brush and some soapy water.

I removed my guard permanently so that keeping the belt clean as a part of regular Sling cleaning would be easier and faster

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Regular washing and dry lubing is part of my standard maintenance program. Also note that the belt actually shrinks a bit with heat and the tension changes with the loading of the SS. That is when putting in stuff in the storage compartments, persons in the seat and weight transfer when accelerating. I run mine relatively loose, 1/2 to 3/4 inch movement on bottom when top is tight when loaded.

LC

• [quote='LargeCar','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8443-belt-tention-is-a-must/&postID=286195#post286195']

Regular washing and dry lubing is part of my standard maintenance program. Also note that the belt actually shrinks a bit with heat and the tension changes with the loading of the SS. That is when putting in stuff in the storage compartments, persons in the seat and weight transfer when accelerating. I run mine relatively loose, 1/2 to 3/4 inch movement on bottom when top is tight when loaded.

LC

[/quote]

That is to loose it should be 5/16 with 10lb pressure

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Been working fine for the last 25k miles. Nice and quite and not a lot of pressure on the bearings. It does tighten some, not much, when it gets hot. Been working with cog belts for a long time and don't remember any manufacturer running them as tight as Polaris says to run them.

From a online website:

Belt tension can also be measured, or estimated, by causing the belt to deflect by a given amount (typically 1/64 inch per inch of belt span, or 0.4 mm per 25 mm of belt span) with a specified force. Often referred to as the force-deflection method, the minimum and maximum forces necessary to produce the specified deflection for a given tension are calculated via formulas. Note that this method is best used on belts with longer span lengths.

belt tension

In the force-deflection method, a specified force is used to create a given deflection in the belt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w…toothed-belt-tension/amp/

I am not by my SS at the moment so I cannot measure the span length but I bet it comes close to a number that is close to where my belt is.

LC