H3 lighting deal

• These work great - I installed them in Ruby about 2 months ago - great lighting and no problems. I did cut out the rubber boots on the outboard lights - the LED's are IP68 waterproof and the little turbo fan needs free air to work properly. I figure that heat will kill these babies lots faster than a little wet - and I don't ride much in the rain anyway.

Good choice! I paid about $35 a pair for my H3 and H9 lights - got 'em from different companies, though both from Amazon.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I also bought some off Amazon. I completely removed the boot. And no problems in heavy rain or high heat either after 4+ months and 7000+ miles. Can't say they light up the road any better, but I did notice it went from yellow to white, which makes it easier to see everything better.

• Let me know how having the boot on works for you.

Couldn't see a way to do it without blocking the fan.

Can you post a couple of photos?

Just don’t push it on the whole way.

What year is your SS

I had to cut a small “x” in the back of the boot to pass the wires through. As per the slingmods installation instructions. You could watch that video.

• Just don’t push it on the whole way.

What year is your SS

I had to cut a small “x” in the back of the boot to pass the wires through. As per the slingmods installation instructions. You could watch that video.

Yeah, I watched the slingmods video, but it seemed clear to me that the fan needed more air - and the manufacturer claims full immersion waterproofing (I'm NEVER driving in THAT much water!) I was also concerned that any water that DID get in the boot was never getting out - it would be trapped in there and the unit would never dry out.

Overall, I know that heat kills electronics and shortens the life of LEDs and their circuitry, so I decided to eliminate the boot entirely.

Some may call this a gamble, but the manufacturer (or Amazon) will warranty for water immersion - but I KNOW that heat will kill my lights - and killing 'em would be my fault if I obstructed the fan.

Judgement call, yeah?

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Overall, I know that heat kills electronics and shortens the life of LEDs and their circuitry, so I decided to eliminate the boot entirely.

Some may call this a gamble, but the manufacturer (or Amazon) will warranty for water immersion - but I KNOW that heat will kill my lights - and killing 'em would be my fault if I obstructed the fan.

Judgement call, yeah?

I did the same thing (removed the boot entirely). Fan needs air to pull through to cool, otherwise it;'s spinning doing nothing. And these LEDs are all waterproof, so I don't worry about the rain. Have been thru rain a few times already (not by choice) and they still work great.