A HUGE THANKS TO TIM and SHIRL ... And some info on the best getting new parts

• As many know I had a couple of pistons decide they didnt want to participate in the production of power anymore. So this last few days I have been pulling the engine out and getting it ready for two new pistons. Everything else including the sleeves held up beautifully. I have done the engine removal dance a few times in the past and it's never fun and something always hangs you up and makes it more difficult than it should be....

Well this time it was a little different. Tim ( Ghost) and his wife Shirl have been helping me pull the heart out of the beast. I can't say thanks enough to them. Every time I would turn around from doing something on the Slingshot Shirl had something in the shop arranging it or cleaning it. I would turn back around and Tim would have two more things unbolted and working on the next item that had to come loose. And don't think for a second that Shirl is scared of grabbing a wrench. She knows what is in the toolbox and how every item in it is used.

I also want to take a minute and acknowledge how much I appreciate them coming to each race and taking care of mine and everyone else's needs. Honestly I couldn't do it without them. It makes me feel alot better to know they are there. They both have been like a guardian angle over me. Words typed on a forum are just not enough to convey how much I appreciate their time and help.

For those that have wanted to see the damage in the engine that happened at 140mph and at about 6700rpm. Well it's not that impressive. Which is a good thing for me. The new style block held it all inside. And just smeared some aluminum on one side of one cylinder from where the piston melted. The aluminum will actually chip off and leave a smooth sleeve ready to hone. I can't say it stayed together because of this block. But I can say that even with this damage it was running absolutely quiet and had no internal engine noise. I pulled it on the trailer and backed it off while it was missing on both cylinders. So the heart wasn't dead. Just stumbling a little. :thumbsup:

AND YES...... DAVE AND I BOTH WERE IN THE 23PSI RANGE. It seems so weird to type (23psi) when not 2 years ago we were talking about 7 to 10 PSI being enough. I think it would be neat to sit down sometime and type up a timeline on how and when things like the 2bar map sensors were introduced and when Bob tuned the first ECU. I guess it just seems like we all have pushed the Slingshot to points that no one could have dreamed of when they came out originally. I am sitting here in my shop typing this all the while I'm looking at my Slingshot with the same amazement I had when I picked it up for the first time. There are not alot of toys that I have owned that have the same hold on me that this machine has.:)

Anyway... I have to stop rambling and get on to the pictures of the engine.

She will be better than new this time next week.....:thumbsup:

• No thanks necessary my friend! We enjoy helping out. Bottom line, I am not a spectator. If I’m going to be around I have to be hands on involved. I’ve driven and ridden my own racing machines as well as others and I’ve had others ride and drive mine. The excitement and desire to be a winner never changes no matter the role you are playing.

Hopefully it will be back together soon and better than ever!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Two thoughts come to mind. 1. Ceracoat the top of your pistons to reduce piston head temp by reflecting the heat back to combustion chamber.

https://www.cerakote.com/finis…6Q/piston-coat-oven-cure/

2. Drill holes in the piston head to put combustion pressure on the back of the top ring to better seal the pressure in.

https://www.google.com/amp/blo…gas-porting%3fhs_amp=true

Worked for us in the drag car.

LC

• Yea, but this time you won't have to fight trying to get the clutch disc to line up with the input shaft of the transmission. Thanks to the automatic, it should go right back it on the first try

What amazed Tim and I was the fact that the torque converter only has 3 bolts holding it to the flywheel.

• What amazed Tim and I was the fact that the torque converter only has 3 bolts holding it to the flywheel.

Powerglide torque converters only have 3 and many see well over 1000 hp in much heavier vehicles with sky high stall ... just use new, quality, properly rated fasteners ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Two thoughts come to mind. 1. Ceracoat the top of your pistons to reduce piston head temp by reflecting the heat back to combustion chamber.

https://www.cerakote.com/finis…6Q/piston-coat-oven-cure/

All of those pistons are ceramic coated. What we believe happened, based on the datalogs, is that the leaded fuel mix rabtech was running messed with the Oxygen sensors and their readings. We were seeing low 10's air/fuel on the wideband during these runs, but after pulling the spark plugs on both engines, we were definitely not in the low 10's air/fuel. Ghost can confirm, the plugs looked like they were in the 12's at least. Fortunately, it seems that rabtech caught it before things got really bad in the engine :)

• Well today the beast gets a couple of new pistons and it should be doing burnouts by this afternoon.

I have some pictures of the cylinder after I cleaned the aluminum off of the cylinder wall. And everyone likes to.see carnage so I will show you what a piston looks like that stops getting oil squirted on the bottom.

I dont know what happened first but I'm pretty sure a piece of the piston must have hit the oil squirter and knocked it off. I dont think an oil squirter would just break off on it's own. Not unless the clearance was so.close to the piston that it somehow come down and bumped it. Anyway, you can see why it blowed a hole in the side and not the top. It had no oil hitting it to cool it.

I knew I didnt hear any knock at all. And I'm pretty good at noticing knock. So I felt a tiny bit better knowing I didnt have any chance in saving the engine. Now for some pics

She cleaned up like new just needs honing now.

Here are some random pic of the engine. It's getting a full clean up and paint job

• Just a quick question. How is the squirter tube connected to the banjo ring. Is it pressed, welded, or just how is it connected. Might want to take a look to see if it is susceptible to vibration and failure. Might need a small brace to strengthen the connection.

Just a thought

LC