Knock Sensor

• Have the following code tripping the CEL, 0-65551-5, which is knock sensor open. I replaced the knock sensor and did have the ECM unplugged for 6+ hours prior to doing so. I have tried the key on/off 5 times as suggested, have added octane boost to rule out a bad tank of gas, and have taken 7-8 rides making sure the engine came up to operating temperature each time. The CEL remains. Is there anything left to look at before heading to the dealer to have them plug in to clear the code?

• Got the knock sensor code earlier in the year. Replaced sensor. Code would not clear. Dealer had to use Digital Wrench. Mechanic said some codes will not clear.

And the Knock Sensor Code is one of those that seems to not want to reset. I replaced the Sensor and still have the Light. Heading down to Brewer's Cycles in Henderson, NC on the 26th to get it reset...along with some Recall stuff I've been putting off. Hey MACAWS , let's do lunch!!! I'll even let you buy!!!!:thumbsup::00008172::00008356:

• And the Knock Sensor Code is one of those that seems to not want to reset. I replaced the Sensor and still have the Light. Heading down to Brewer's Cycles in Henderson, NC on the 26th to get it reset...along with some Recall stuff I've been putting off. Hey MACAWS , let's do lunch!!! I'll even let you buy!!!!:thumbsup::00008172::00008356:

Hell I will buy lunch but you going to need to get a little further west. I will be in CA for my sons wedding

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I just went to the dealer for the second time this summer to clear that knock sensor issue. I was told it could be many different scenarios to have that trip and have the engine light on. At 1st I accidentally put a couple gallons of regular at a pervious fill up and thought that was the cause. Then I made sure on the proceeding tank fills were strictly premium. same thing happened. Sure would like to know how to straighten that out. I asked about if the OBD could run thru my ASE mechanic shop, and was told only to an extent as Polaris has their own program that’s not open to the public. Anyone know otherwise?

• I just went to the dealer for the second time this summer to clear that knock sensor issue. I was told it could be many different scenarios to have that trip and have the engine light on. At 1st I accidentally put a couple gallons of regular at a pervious fill up and thought that was the cause. Then I made sure on the proceeding tank fills were strictly premium. same thing happened. Sure would like to know how to straighten that out. I asked about if the OBD could run thru my ASE mechanic shop, and was told only to an extent as Polaris has their own program that’s not open to the public. Anyone know otherwise?

You are correct with the statement, many things can trigger the knock sensor. Unfortunately we can't clear it without the Digital Wrench software.

Lugging the engine... trying to hard accelerate at low rpm.

Troubleshooting the knock sensor with a screwdriver handle... tapping the engine block. (Not recommended if you don't have Digital Wrench and just goofing around in the garage)

The wisdom of this,

Don't lug the engine, duh!

The second one may not be too obvious...

Loosely mounted parts on the engine block (exhaust manifold, muffler collector ring, alternator mounts, loose or busted motor mounts) or parts that make contact with other non-engine related parts ( frame, firewall, fenders ) can trigger a different resonance that trips the knock sensor.

Not saying that either one of these are your problem, just food for thought.

Troubleshooting sucks but makes big bucks.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().