Turn signal question

• But looking at the schematic I don’t see any wires the come and go directly to the relays....they go to gang splices.....so I’m not understanding how everything is wired.

All relays leads are ganged back to the ignition switch power. When it is turned to on, all relays get power. It also puts power on pin 2 of the Flasher thru the contacts of Sec Lights Relay. You can get totally lost trying to follow the wires on that wiring diagram. The service manual has most of the systems with simplified wiring diagrams that show only the leads and components that are a part of the system. That is what you want to look at. The diagram is mostly good for Pin connections id, wire colors, and list of what lead do in the circuit. That is what is most helpful. Also, wiring harness of today do not generally need to follow a wire all the way back to something. Most troubles will be the component, the connector, or a fuse.

• I was doing a search for a flasher unit to see the prices....

Bikebandit.....is true to its name...$199.....I won’t be looking at their site anymore for anything I need....should be called highway robbers...

Most regular Polaris parts sites it’s $123....

• I found this problem was discussed before with some our same failures described. Here the links to the thread.

Turn signal problems

Need help - adding LED strip to ft turn signals

would’ve been nice if @getrdone had listed the solution.....

thank you samowens44 for staying on this. I am so busy at work I am unable to pop the hood and start looking at some of your suggestions. Please don’t take it as lack of interest I am just too busy right now to get into this but it is high on my list when I can.

Grateful for all of your help!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• would’ve been nice if @getrdone had listed the solution.....

thank you samowens44 for staying on this. I am so busy at work I am unable to pop the hood and start looking at some of your suggestions. Please don’t take it as lack of interest I am just too busy right now to get into this but it is high on my list when I can.

Grateful for all of your help!

Understand SoCal, I figured work takes over and above Slingshot work. The information is there and hope it will help.

• I need to add an important piece of information about the Flasher System. The power from the ignition switch does go thru the Sec Lights Relay that is operated when the ignition switch is turned to on position. This is important as if there is a problem with the sec lights relay not operating or bad contacts, you will not have side marker lights and the turn signals will not even start the module to blink as it will have no power on pin 2. So with SoCal problem that is lighting and then freezes would not happen if there was a problem with the sec light relay. It would not even start the blinking process. This will be part of trouble shooting process to arrive at the source of problem.

Trouble shooting a problem requires you to eliminate all elements that work correctly until you arrive at something that doesn't work. You should also review what the last thing that happened that would have effected the system in trouble. Like an accessory installed to the system in question.

So for SoCal's problem to start trouble shooting the intermittent operation of turn signals is to disconnect the Switchback LED. Take a test ride and review results. If there is no problem and the lights operate properly, then there is a problem with the accessory lights. There is a driver module that is part of the wiring leads that connect to the turn signals and side markers. If the unit goes bad, that may be the problem, the only solution is to replace Switchback lights with new ones,

Just for your information, the driver is a programmed device that makes the switchback lights operated in the manner they do, switch from driving light display, turn off driving when turn signal is operated and flash amber lights. When flasher stops, switch back to the driving lites for driving conditions.

You can test your switchback lights. Look at diagram below.

• samowens44 / I have just gone through the entire thread again and reread everything. Thank you all again! I am going to take the yellow lead out of the loop and drive it tomorrow. With a 200+ mile day tomorrow I will know if it will fail again. Then I can ascertain what to do next.

I would say that given what you have written it will be the flasher unit or the Little black box that the switchbacks have on them.

One thing that confuses me is that why does it immediately "Fix" itself when the motor is turned off then on again. No lag time just a quick off/on. And I have checked each LED light after the on/off and all work and are the same brightness. None are out.

One way or another I will have some more info tomorrow. Off to Big Bear tomorrow via 29 Palms the back way!

:/

• I think the Flasher module when it fails has to have power cycled off to release the fault that is recognized by the Module checking circuit for limits exceeded. I think your test tomorrow will give us some new information to analyze. The system is designed to prevent you from driving with a fault in your turn signal lighting and wiring. It would be unsafe to drive with the flashers not blinking the front light and blinking rear light. but your dash indicators show blinkers working. The problem could also be a grounded lead which would be the high limit failure.

The safety feature means when you add LEDs or lighting of any kind the the Turn Signal Leads, you can possibly have a night mare to understand when the Module detects something wrong with the current limits. Good Luck my friend.

• I remember the days when we only had hands for turn signals.... Hands and fingers....

In the early days, cars only had one tail light and the tag was mounted underneath it. Flasher was not invented yet, When I took drivers ed in the late 50's, they had us use hand signals our our turns and stopping, hand pointed down and palm facing back. You could easily erase your turn indicator with change in your arm position, and wave it around to signify your final decision of what direction you intend to go.

• So would we need a heavy duty sec light relay?

No, the Sec Light relay is just to supply power to the side markers, the secondary lights (the outside Lights in front) and to the Turn signal Flasher Module. The key to the whole problem is that the stock Flasher module needs to be upgraded to a higher range current range to accommodate all the accessories. If one of the Slingmods or Slingshot only, or Twist Dynamics would engineer a higher power Flasher module is the only answer, first one that does will solve the problem for all and we will not be having the trouble. The Flasher Module is the Problem and we can not do anything about it until they provide us with an option. Who will be first. The current Flasher Module is inadequate to handle the new accessories that all want to add. Tell em Sam Owens said that!! Non of the relays are the problem and most likely non of the new mods.

• Allllllright samowens44 here we go.... 245 miles with out a hitch! All stock an no issues. So, with the right side switch back being the one that did not work (left one always did even with the solid green) can we assume that the “little black box “ on the right switch back is the culprit!? And if so is it replaceable without having to buy a whole new set??

making headway 😎

• I have had two different 24" sequential DRL (white) / sequential turn (yellow) strips on my Slingshot.

The first set worked flawlessly. They were "side firing" so, I had them mounted underneath the front valance. Emergency flashers worked perfectly with key on or off.

Unfortunately, since they were mounted on the under side of the valance, they got torn apart when exiting a parking lot.

I replaced them with a set that would mount on the front of the lower valance. These work fine when the Slingshot is running. DRL, turn signal, emergency flash.

Turn the key off and no more emergence flash. A brief flash can be seen....that's it.

I am assuming that there is no consistency on how these "cheapy" LED strips are manufactured / controlled.

The current set appear to require the constant 12V from the running light as the "power source" and the blinker is a trigger to begin the sequential amber. Without that 12V, flashing just won't happen.