Turn signal question

• I am going to show you the Flasher Pin layout and more information about this system. Now my information is from the 2017 Service Manual. The 2015 may be a little different as to some elements. The main thing is the Flasher with your problem. Look at the diagram and you will see, when you turn the ignition on, power is sent to turn on the Flasher. Now nothing happens until you push the turn signal lever to left or right flash. Look back through the thread and find my video for installing my aux leds and that will show you how to get to the Flasher.

• I am going to show you the Flasher Pin layout and more information about this system. Now my information is from the 2017 Service Manual. The 2015 may be a little different as to some elements. The main thing is the Flasher with your problem. Look at the diagram and you will see, when you turn the ignition on, power is sent to turn on the Flasher. Now nothing happens until you push the turn signal lever to left or right flash. Look back through the thread and find my video for installing my aux leds and that will show you how to get to the Flasher.

samowens44 Thank you! It’s Monday and I will try to digest this over the next few days after work. Very much appreciated!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• samowens44 Thank you! It’s Monday and I will try to digest this over the next few days after work. Very much appreciated!

SoCal, if you find you do not understand something please post a note of how I can better help. I tried to use arrows and text to help explain key areas. As you can see the turn Signal light, and dash indicator lights are shown as circles with an X . the switch is shown with a lever that is at an example, that indicated normally open contacts. When you push the turn lever, it closes those contacts and places grd to start the Flash operation. I know you will discover what is wrong when you use this to start trouble shooting. Good Luck,

• SoCal, with a semi-severe lack of trained slingshot mechanics.....is it possible that the person you talked to doesn’t know about the flasher unit Sam is talking about?

You have the small flasher relay and then you have the main flasher unit under the dash.

• Folks, I have been explaining about the current issue with the Flasher unit but did not have supporting information to explain it. I found it on line. The reason for this is safety. If a light is not properly flashing, too weak or too strong, the Flasher can tell that something is not normal and will give you an indication by just lighting the dash indicator lights. If it were not for this you could be driving in a dangerous condition thinking that all is working great when you put your turn signals on. So it it does not flash, you have a problem with the lights or the Flasher is bad. As I have eplained, adding LEDs in any way to the circuit will change the current and making the Flasher not work if it exceeds the limits. Hope this eplains what I have been trying to explain and how this should be trouble shot.

This is the type Flasher the Slingshot has. This is the key to the problem, intermittent working means the current limit for your external lights is just at the limits. The resistor is needed to get it below the limits to work all the time, or disconnect and go back to OEM.

• SoCal, with a semi-severe lack of trained slingshot mechanics.....is it possible that the person you talked to doesn’t know about the flasher unit Sam is talking about?

You have the small flasher relay and then you have the main flasher unit under the dash.

The guy you talked to does not understand the Turn Signal System. That relay is really miss labeled. It really is the Secondary lights including the side marker lights. When it turns on it just powers up all those lights. You need a relay because it is too much current for just wiring. That is what a relay does, takes low current circuit and operates with the contacts proving high current drive. The relay does not have any part in the Flashing of the lights. There is only one flasher and it is underneath the Fuse Box and ECU. Now don't get scared, it is not hard to get to, just watch my video. I do these videos to help with folks that have never tried something. As an instructor in the Telephone Company, I know what folks need to understand how to do something. My video are boring to folks that know this stuff. I did not make it for them.

Let me make this clear. I am proving information from my knowledge of a 2017 Slingshot. I don't have a service manual for 2015, I know they did add the secondary light relay after some problem with the 2015, all lights were power through the Primary Light relay and that caused problems as people started adding lights system. We are talking just about the Flasher Module though, forget the relays.

• SoCal Here is something easy to see if your Switch Back lights are causing the problem. I found the installation video online at Slingmods. They use connectors at the Turn Signal leads to hook into. Follow instructions I have outlined and then go for some test rides. Don't need to unhook the other wires, only the yellow on each side. If it still fails, order a Flasher Module and change out. Let's see what your test results are.

• The 2015 did not have the Secondary Light Relay, as I stated, they had problems and added it on other years. The 2015 had all lights running off one relay and they had a recall to correct the issue, but no extra relay until following years. Now there is a Primary and Secondary Relay in the Fuze box. On the wiring diagram they call things different than the Relay names. This is common and makes it hard to understand. Look closely and you will see the 2015 has all lights on 30 amps and the 2016 on have the Pri lights on 30 amps and the Aux (Secondary) on 20 amps. This allows for adding more lights to your Slingshot safely. If you overload it, the Braker will shut the whole system down, darkness!

• Folks, I don't want to make this complicated for what we are dealing with for SoCal and the turn Signals. We are dealing with just the Flasher and nothing else. None of the lighting systems are involved in this. The Flasher is a stand alone system and is a computer that can monitor the current in the lights, if it is exceeded you don't get a blink.

• I’m wondering if there is a heavy duty relay replacement?

Actually there is no problems with the Lighting systems on all of the models now. They have corrected it, so this is not even related to the problem of the turn Signals. If the lighting systems are in trouble we will be having problems of Lights going dark, I thin FunCycle did have an episode of this, maybe he will tell us. The Circuit Beakers are there to protect the wiring and circuits. They are there to open up the circuit, but you loose your lights.

I wished the dealer had not introduced relays into this problem of the Turn Signal. He just saw it said turn signal, so it must be bad.

• Actually there is no problems with the Lighting systems on all of the models now. They have corrected it, so this is not even related to the problem of the turn Signals. If the lighting systems are in trouble we will be having problems of Lights going dark, I thin FunCycle did have an episode of this, maybe he will tell us. The Circuit Beakers are there to protect the wiring and circuits. They are there to open up the circuit, but you loose your lights.

I wished the dealer had not introduced relays into this problem of the Turn Signal. He just saw it said turn signal, so it must be bad.

I think I have already covered all of that on this thread in the past few days.

• Thank you so much for the follow up I have had time to read but not lift the hood yet. Just as a bit of information I have a 2016 base model.

The Flasher circuit is the same on all models. The test I outline explained to unplug the Switch Back should only take a moment and then go for a ride.

• They really messed up on the relay designations and the wiring diagram designations. They make it hard to understand which relay they are talking about. When in doubt, pull it out and see what don't work.

• They really messed up on the relay designations and the wiring diagram designations. They make it hard to understand which relay they are talking about. When in doubt, pull it out and see what don't work.

But looking at the schematic I don’t see any wires the come and go directly to the relays....they go to gang splices.....so I’m not understanding how everything is wired.