Turn signal question

• When riding today the green turn signal light center left bezel stayed on and the turn signals would not work. Then all but the right signal worked. After lunch and starting up all worked fine. Thoughts? Loose wire perhaps? Does the green light staying on indicate a specific issue or place to start the diagnostic process?

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I just had that issue a few weeks ago. Started a turn signal issue thread.

I installed sequential turn signals two weeks before the exact same thing happened to me. I also had some heated riding gear hooked up at the time. I did a key on recycle a few times and it wouldn’t clear. I took it home and let it sit for 8 hours and when I got around to checking it out it started and acted normal. I thought my issue was connected to the lights or gear of a combination of them.

Right now it’s a mystery.

• Guys, I have already been into this area and found some things that may help. A while back I installed LED Light Strips to my driver side Rear View Mirror Support arm. I hooked them up to the Turn Signal Leads. I found that they would only blink one time and stay on solid. I found the Led's were drawing too much current and would stop system from flashing. I installed a 100 ohm resister in series with the leads to the Signal leads. Wala, the system will now blink. I found this all out by installing a relay in the circuit to relay the blink to the light. It worked and found the resistance of the relay was around 75 ohms. Couldn't find a 75 Ohm resister but did find a 100 ohm resister and it is in the range to work. The LED's are just as bright.

So, if you have any external indicator lights hooked up it can cause the flasher to stop flashing. Current sensitive circuit. Here is my video about hooking up the LEDs.

• The previous post about installing LED AuxTurn Signal Indicators was a second attempt to improve the one I first install at the center dash area. They just did not get my attention. A strip of LED's is needed and it needs to be near the Drivers Rear View Mirror. This video will show the access to the Turn Signal Flasher for a better hookup to the Turn Signal Circuit.

• Sorry for being late to class and missing that this had already been addressed previously. My ghost in the machine is just a little different though. When riding the green light will stay green for the turn signals. Only the left turn signal will work and it works both front and rear. It will work for the left signal but it will not flash when working. Stays green. When I turn the motor off and restart the right turn signal works but only for a short while then the green light reappears. I do have slingmods LED front blinker strip. However these were installed over a year ago with no issues. This is only showing up now. I do have the extended warranty so I think I will call the shop first. When and if I come up with a solution I will let everybody know as well. 🤔

• Sorry for being late to class and missing that this had already been addressed previously. My ghost in the machine is just a little different though. When riding the green light will stay green for the turn signals. Only the left turn signal will work and it works both front and rear. It will work for the left signal but it will not flash when working. Stays green. When I turn the motor off and restart the right turn signal works but only for a short while then the green light reappears. I do have slingmods LED front blinker strip. However these were installed over a year ago with no issues. This is only showing up now. I do have the extended warranty so I think I will call the shop first. When and if I come up with a solution I will let everybody know as well. 🤔

I’m wondering if the flasher module is getting weak. Like in wearing out. Electronics fail from usage.....The Polaris flasher module is $110.....

Now my question is....can we find a heavier duty flasher to install?

I have 10 extra LEDs on the flasher ...that’s not counting the factory lights...

• SoCal I need to add another bit of info that I remember about my research into adding the LEDs to the Turn Signal system. I hooked it all up. No resistors or relay, just straight wire into existing turn signal lead. I tested the system and the LEDs Blinked along with the system turn signal lights. I thought all was working as planned. I wanted to take a test drive and see how well it performed under driving condition and visibility. I cranked up and checked the signals one more time and that is when I discovered that it would blink once and stay green. So I determined that with the engine running, there is something about the engine and running system that is causing this. I thought about this and figured there is only one reason, a change in current that will occur with the engine running. I had already installed single LED lamps that worked fine. I disconnected them thinking that may be causing the problem. It still failed with engine running. I thought of the way to lower the current is to install resistance. I had two relays from my inventory of parts and installed the relay coil in series with the LEDs and OEM turn signal lights. I found the resistance was 75 ohm for the relay coil. I determined that the issue was a current one with the LEDs and I solved the problem. I ordered some 100 ohm resistors and changed out the relays. All is working fine now.

I can not explain why it just started failing now, but if you add a resistor to the LEDs I feel it may solve your problem. One other possible problem could be the Flasher module.

I am relating my experience with the problems I had, to help explain how current can cause the flasher module to not flash. Adding a parallel extra LED light will cause more current to flow in the flasher. I have found, LED Strips draw a lot more current than one LED or light.

I would like to know what it turns out to be.

• So you didn’t actually use the relay to trigger the lights?

Did not use it as a relay, wanted a resistor of about 75 to 100 ohm and did not have them. I had the two relays that had a 75 ohm coil. I wired it in series with the LED Strips. I did not use the relay contacts at all. I make things work, McGiver kind of stuff.

Here is the wiring diagram I made for aux LED turn sign indicators. At the spice location is where I installed my resister, my video show where I placed the relays. I exchanged the relays with the 100 ohm relay. If anyone adds LED Strips for the turn signals this is something that can cause a problem in the system. The resistor will correct it. I added the Flasher to the diagram.

• The wiring diagram shows my original idea, for placement of LED Strips on each Support Arm of the mirrors. I changed it and put both LEDs side by side on the Drivers Side. That way I can see either LED Strip with no problem.

• Pardon me if this is an uninformed reply but why only the right side? Left side working fine even though all green and no flash on the dash but left flashers working? And turn the engine off then back on and the right side works for a bit then fails. I am not much of an electric guy but not a fuse issue or would not work at all. Talking “relays “ and such and I am lost- I will call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have encountered this before and if so is it covered in my warranty. Thank you all for taking the time to help!

• Pardon me if this is an uninformed reply but why only the right side? Left side working fine even though all green and no flash on the dash but left flashers working? And turn the engine off then back on and the right side works for a bit then fails. I am not much of an electric guy but not a fuse issue or would not work at all. Talking “relays “ and such and I am lost- I will call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have encountered this before and if so is it covered in my warranty. Thank you all for taking the time to help!

Could be a loose/bad ground....are you sure there are not burnt out light bulbs?

Does our system act funny when we have a burnt out light? Most vehicles will flash faster if a bulb is out.

Could be the flasher going bad.

• Could be a loose/bad ground....are you sure there are not burnt out light bulbs?

Does our system act funny when we have a burnt out light? Most vehicles will flash faster if a bulb is out.

Could be the flasher going bad.

thank you but all bulbs are good /fine and no accentuated blinking.

Bad ground makes sense though or flasher. I am far from an electrician when it comes to diagnostics- I think I will still call the dealer today and at least bounce it off of them

• SoCal when dealer diagnoses and finds the problem, please post the findings. We all want to know how to fix this type of problem, as you can not safely drive without proper turn signal operation. Most of us are out of warranty. Thanks for creating the thread ans sharing with us.

• SoCal when dealer diagnoses and finds the problem, please post the findings. We all want to know how to fix this type of problem, as you can not safely drive without proper turn signal operation. Most of us are out of warranty. Thanks for creating the thread ans sharing with us.

The LEAST I can do is post what I find out. So many people have been so forthcoming and helpful here with all my SS issues and patient with a lot of my questions.

I missed the dealer call back today but will try again tomorrow....

• A little update, called my dealer today and I’m not able to get an appointment for two weeks. The service manager said I should be able to get a relay switch at any automotive store and thought that perhaps the relay was the issue. Three auto parts stores later no luck. AutoZone tracked one down for me but would take a while to get it. Found these on Amazon and they will be here on Thursday. Just hoping that this is a seven dollar fix and that it is the relay switch. I will follow up after I receive them on Thursday and take a test ride. 4016819 is the number that Polaris gave me as what they would use to access this part.

Even though the fuse box is sealed with an O-ring it makes sense that these would be waterproof as well. None of the ones in the auto parts stores were considered waterproof. They are identical to the ones that we have or at least I have in my 2016.

Not saying this is a cure however I believe it makes sense and it is backed up by the dealer and I think it’s worth a shot instead of waiting for another two weeks.

BTW pricing on these range from three dollars to $60 apiece. Pays to shop around.

• Where do these go?