SlingShot Maintanance

• I started this because in looking today I could not find a thread for this. I am changing all of the fluids today on Sling II except for the anti freeze. Brake fluid dot 4 ----- Angle drive Royal Purple 75w - 140 ----- Transmission Royal Purple 75w - 90 ----- Engine Oil Mobil 1 5w- 30

• I did my tranny at 50,000 and I do my angle Drive every other oil change even though it does not need it. One thing I haven't done is the brake fluid. Let us know how hard / easy it is the bleed the brakes

Bleeding the brakes is easy if you have a second person to help. The only part of the system that can't be done is the abs control, you need to open it with a computer and digital wrench.

• What size are the bleed valves 10 mm? I bought speed bleeders for my Honda Goldwing that makes bleeding the brakes a snap and you don't need an extra person. I also bought an air lift system to change the antifreeze on the Goldwing and I'm sure that'll work in the slingshot.

• I started this because in looking today I could not find a thread for this. I am changing all of the fluids today on Sling II except for the anti freeze. Brake fluid dot 4 ----- Angle drive Royal Purple 75w - 140 ----- Transmission Royal Purple 75w - 90 ----- Engine Oil Mobil 1 5w- 30

Is this your first time putting RP on the tranny or have you been running it for a while without adverse effects?

Reason I ask is because in the last "oil" thread the general consensus seemed to be that the aisin tranny needed either the Polaris oil or the ac Delco because all other oils mentioned(RP being one of them) didn't meet the requirements for the synchro in the tranny or something like that.

I would like to use the RP or amsoil as they are easy to get but I followed the thread advise but if you have been using it for many miles without negative effects then that would somewhat disprove all the naysayers.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Is this your first time putting RP on the tranny or have you been running it for a while without adverse effects?

Reason I ask is because in the last "oil" thread the general consensus seemed to be that the aisin tranny needed either the Polaris oil or the ac Delco because all other oils mentioned(RP being one of them) didn't meet the requirements for the synchro in the tranny or something like that.

I would like to use the RP or amsoil as they are easy to get but I followed the thread advise but if you have been using it for many miles without negative effects then that would somewhat disprove all the naysayers.

I have run Royal Purple in the Angle Drive and the Transmission in Sling I for around 80,000 miles with no ill effects. It will take someone a lot smarter that me to tell me it does not work

• I did my tranny at 50,000 and I do my angle Drive every other oil change even though it does not need it. One thing I haven't done is the brake fluid. Let us know how hard / easy it is the bleed the brakes

I bleed the brakes by myself with a 1/4 inch clear tubing about 2 feet long. I use 3 pieces, push one end on the brake bleeder and the other is held higher than the bleeder. I just do a gravity bleed in all four fittings. Push the hose on the bleeder and open the bleeder until you start seeing fluid and go on to the next one and and do the same thing and then the next. Now go back around and close the bleeder and pull the hose off each one. I normally do this at each oil change and it takes maybe 10 minutes. Now for the ABS control I use about a 6 inch piece of tubing and do the same thing, it keeps you from making a mess, just pinch the hose off and remove after closing the bleeder. Yes this does work on the ABS because the air will always go to the highest point. With the ABS you may have to it a few times over a few mile in between, but it does work. I think I was one of the very first ones to get all of the air out of one of the 2015's. This also is like changing the fluid every time you do it over a period of time.

• I just finished changing the fluid's with only one trip to the parts store. I keep a supply of most of the stuff that I need whenever I need to change oil. I buy Mobil one on the inter net Base Exchange and I keep around five 5 quart jugs and I use the K& N filters which I buy at $4.25 each by buying 25 filters to get the discount from Summit Racing. The wife's Equinox uses the same filter so I am changing oil about every other month in one or the other.

• Is this your first time putting RP on the tranny or have you been running it for a while without adverse effects?

Just keep this in mind. Some of these people do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. If I say it, then I have done it. I have been doing my own mech. work since I was 14 and that was a long time ago. 58 years

• just curious, how many miles do you run between oil changes? 5,000 miles for a full synthetic, as per owners manual, seems to often to me.

I do not do my own but I do take it in to Neilson's in Lake Villa, IL between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. 120 miles ride one way but they have take very good care of my Slingshot over the last 86,000 miles and have caught some things that could have been problems before I had a problem. I'll drive the rubber off the tires and keep in clean and looking good, but I want a good tech doing my work, and Neilson has the best.

• just curious, how many miles do you run between oil changes? 5,000 miles for a full synthetic, as per owners manual, seems to often to me.

5,000 miles between oil changes for Mobil 1. 3,000 for regular oil in my 98 Pontiac TA it has been on a diet of Penzoil since new, the dash light went out at like 95,000 miles and that was years ago you have to pull the dash to change so I just guess at it. Now I go by tanks of gas per year and that you can count on one hand. To each his own, my sh-t get's drove a little hard.

• I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1 5w 30. Fortunately that's what all my vehicles take including my Corvette. I order from Walmart online for 22.50 for 5 quart jug. I order enough to get free shipping. Vette takes 9.8qts, Avalanche takes 6 and Sling takes 5. I order all my oil filters online and I just look for the cheapest price. The last six I ordered averaged about 2.99 a piece.

Not K & N filters?

• On the one person brake bleeding I use a piece of clear tube, put it through the cap on a empty water bottle then put an inch of fluid in the bottom, put the tub in the fluid crack open the bleeder and pump the peddle a few times, close the bleeder and go to the next. Always start at the brake farthest away from the master, the rear, then the right, then the left. If you leave some old fluid in the bottle you won't need to prime it with new fluid. Just keep the bottle end of the tube under the fluid so there is no air return. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

LC

• [quote='EricRedSL','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8367-slingshot-maintanance/&postID=283940#post283940']

I did my tranny at 50,000 and I do my angle Drive every other oil change even though it does not need it. One thing I haven't done is the brake fluid. Let us know how hard / easy it is the bleed the brakes

[/quote]

I suck out some brake fluid and clutch fluid with a turkey baster every oil change. Keeps the clutch and brake fluid very clear and no bleeding necessary. Its not as good as a bleed but it does the job. I have been doing this for years as a golf course mechanic on lots of equipment !

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app