transmission synchronizer

• The 3rd / 4th gear synchro is an issue with the AR5 transmission that we have seen with the Solstice/Sky for a while now. It is not super common, but basically the brass synchro will wear and when it does, the synchro will rotate too much and block the gear from shifting. If will feel like you are trying to push against a wall and will not go into gear. If it is the 4th gear syncro starting to fail, then simply touching into 3rd gear will allow you to easily go into 4th, since both gears share the same center section.

You can have the entire transmission rebuilt, but from our local transmission shops here, it was always less expensive to just purchase a used transmission.

We have found no correlation over the years yet on why some people have the issue and some do not.

• The 3rd / 4th gear synchro is an issue with the AR5 transmission that we have seen with the Solstice/Sky for a while now. It is not super common, but basically the brass synchro will wear and when it does, the synchro will rotate too much and block the gear from shifting. If will feel like you are trying to push against a wall and will not go into gear. If it is the 4th gear syncro starting to fail, then simply touching into 3rd gear will allow you to easily go into 4th, since both gears share the same center section.

You can have the entire transmission rebuilt, but from our local transmission shops here, it was always less expensive to just purchase a used transmission.

We have found no correlation over the years yet on why some people have the issue and some do not.

Thanks for the info Dave, I was around 8800 miles when it started acting up.

Wish this had happened when you had my engine out :)

• Thanks for the info Dave, I was around 8800 miles when it started acting up.

Wish this had happened when you had my engine out :)

Well, maybe I can stay an extra day when I come out that way. We will already have done one swap that week, what's another one. The turbo install slows it down a little, but I have done it in 4 hours by myself, with you helping, it shouldn't take more than 8 ;)

• On my ride yesterday I was thinking of this thread. I have noticed that forth gear is the most usable gear the slingshot has. Forth can run from 35 mph to 115 mph. Thinking that we all use forth the most and the gearshift is in the perfect position to lay my right hand on. Does this put a constant pressure on the gearshift lever, however light it may be, and causes the synchro ring to wear out prematurely? Think about it, It is the only position the gearshift lever lends itself to being a good resting place for the hand. Next ride keep an eye one your right hand and see if you do the same as I do.

Just a thought.

LC

• Does this put a constant pressure on the gearshift lever, however light it may be, and causes the synchro ring to wear out prematurely?

makes sense, as an example, you don't have to be doing heavy lifting / moving to get carpal tunnel syndrome, it's caused by the same repetitive motion, no matter how minor.

seems like the same principle

I've seen people wear out their clutch or brakes prematurely by using the pedal as a foot rest.

• Fourth gear is good up to 125 mph in stock trim, BELIEVE ME!

• I tend to keep my right hand resting on the shift-knob most of the time unless I'm on a long stretch of road where shifting will not be a frequent action. I have read several posts that the worst thing you can do to your transmission is to rest your hand on the shifter, but I don't really worry about it.

• I tend to keep my right hand resting on the shift-knob most of the time unless I'm on a long stretch of road where shifting will not be a frequent action. I have read several posts that the worst thing you can do to your transmission is to rest your hand on the shifter, but I don't really worry about it.

for me I have found as I have tried different shift knobs that with a standard round ball style shift knob or a T handle I will rest my hand on it where as with a taller knob that is more like a pistol grip I rest my arm on the center console with my hand held loosely around the knob but not really putting weight on it. I also have heard its not good to put weight on it, but I dont really worry about it enough to change whats comfortable

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies