This hood lock looks interesting

• I saw this and it looks interesting, but I also wonder if a thief would just do more damage trying to get things open and end up costing more money.

when I was young my father and I did navigational road rallies and we had a special computer mounted in the glove box of his 911. One time when he left the car parked at the airport someone broke into his car and when they found the glove box locked they destroyed it prying it open - - in the end they didnt even take the computer - probably didnt even know what it was, but the damage they caused to the glove box and dash cost way more that it would have cost if they had taken the computer - - - after that my father never locked the glove box again - figured it would cost less

I dont know how many of us really need this lock. for me I dont have any under the hood mods anyway and putting on a lock might just make the bad guys think there is more under the hood than there is - - - anyway just something to consider

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Seems like there is always a trade off between good and bad.

Better brake shoes stop better. But make more dirt.

Engine mods make it faster. But use more gas.

Softer tires grip better. But wear out faster.

Lock the doors. They brake the window.

• Hidden kill switch is on my “winter “ list.

I only really wish I had one while talking trips when the ol’ girl is out in a parking lot at a hotel.

hotel parking lots or other places where Cage Free will be out of my sight for more than just a few minutes is what I use the master lock street cuffs for. Turn the wheels all the way to the right and then lock the steering wheel to the frame. Blocks people from even sitting in the driver seat and even if they tried to roll it they could only roll in circles. The cuffs also store perfectly in the bottom of the driver side storage compartment - almost like that little indented part was made just for them

i-nmQXhpj-X2.jpg

i-45PG32R-X2.jpg

• Totally True ( little Cali lingo) All locks do is keep honest people honest...

Me, I go with sticky tires and a littttttle better shoes. I have the Hawk ceramic and I "think" they are better than stock. Less fade anyway and really no more dust or not a big deal.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I saw this and it looks interesting, but I also wonder if a thief would just do more damage trying to get things open and end up costing more money.

when I was young my father and I did navigational road rallies and we had a special computer mounted in the glove box of his 911. One time when he left the car parked at the airport someone broke into his car and when they found the glove box locked they destroyed it prying it open - - in the end they didnt even take the computer - probably didnt even know what it was, but the damage they caused to the glove box and dash cost way more that it would have cost if they had taken the computer - - - after that my father never locked the glove box again - figured it would cost less

I dont know how many of us really need this lock. for me I dont have any under the hood mods anyway and putting on a lock might just make the bad guys think there is more under the hood than there is - - - anyway just something to consider

I had some neighborhood kids steal an aftermarket radio out of my jeep years ago. The cop that was taking the report was shocked when he asked if the jeep was locked and I told him "nope, never lock it". My logic was similar to yours that the soft top door skins cost more than anything I had inside the vehicle and I would much rather them open the door to take what they wanted than take a knife to the soft top to reach in and unlock the door to take what they wanted. If a thief really wants what you have they are going to take it, street cuffs, security cables, etc serves as enough of a deterrent to keep honest people honest and not be tempted by an easy grab.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Lock the doors. They brake the window.

that was always my father's opinion and I've inherited it.

Keep things hidden, and leave the doors unlocked.

I used to have a jeep CJ with no top or doors in the summer. AND a really expensive stereo system. I worked in Boston at the time and it was impossible to come even close to locking it. So I worked with the installer and had everything hidden, speakers and all. For the head unit, he installed it recessed about an inch into the dash, and took the faceplate off the cheapest car stereo walmart had, and put it on a hinge in front of the stereo. to get to the stereo, just grab one of the knobs, give a little tug and it folded down to reveal system.

never had a problem with theft,

• Thats cuz Boston is such a safe city!:P

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• hotel parking lots or other places where Cage Free will be out of my sight for more than just a few minutes is what I use the master lock street cuffs for. Turn the wheels all the way to the right and then lock the steering wheel to the frame. Blocks people from even sitting in the driver seat and even if they tried to roll it they could only roll in circles. The cuffs also store perfectly in the bottom of the driver side storage compartment - almost like that little indented part was made just for them

i-nmQXhpj-X2.jpg

i-45PG32R-X2.jpg

I have them too. Good for the somewhat honest. A set of $12.99 bolt cutters from Harbor Freight will cut the steering wheel through by the cuff, bend the weak part then slide them off like nobody's business. It will take you longer to attach them than a good thief to remove them. Food for thought if you rely on these alone.

Sorry, but I look for problems and weaknesses in my job. It carries over into everything.

• I have them too. Good for the somewhat honest. A set of $12.99 bolt cutters from Harbor Freight will cut the steering wheel through by the cuff, bend the weak part then slide them off like nobody's business. It will take you longer to attach them than a good thief to remove them. Food for thought if you rely on these alone.

Sorry, but I look for problems and weaknesses in my job. It carries over into everything.

As others have said above street cuffs are just a deterrent - for real protection I have insurance - - and if I were still worried I just make sure I park her next someone else's slingshot that has better mods 8o

• With the key cylinder facing forward, I am surprised that this hood latch lock doesn't have a rubber cover over it.

well, I guess if it created a problem you could just keep the lock in the glove box and only lock it when you park - its a bit more work, but at lyou wouldn't have to worry about bugs and such getting it the cylinder

• Hidden kill switch is on my “winter “ list.

I only really wish I had one while talking trips when the ol’ girl is out in a parking lot at a hotel.

Had that on two of my muscle cars I owned. One was under the dash, a push/pull switch that needed the key first but would not shut off until that switch was reversed. The other one was a positive battery switch, located to be desecrate but very effective.