Danger danger Will Robinson. They're here, thay are every where.

• Love Bugs. Hate them.

For those new to Florida it is Love Bugs season. Do not use you're windshield wipers to remove them once affixed to your wind shield. You will end up with a white creamy mess almost impossible to see through. Any truck drivers going up and down the interstates will attest. Love Bug sauce is highly acidic and will damage your paint if left on for an amount of time. Clean daily. For removal I recommend starting with a plastic razor blade. I find the orange ones the best.

Got mine many years ago. Not sure if they are still available. Use some soap and water to remove what's left, rinse and finish off with a quality detailer spray. I have yet to find a protector that works. They will eat right through the best waxes. You have been warned. Spock out.

• That's not the same thing though, while TOPCoat has never classified it as a wax or ceramic, I think it's a middle ground, better than a standard wax, but not as resilient as a ceramic.

Sure, if you don't want to do as much work as ceramic is needed, it could be an alternative.

Anyone in Florida dealing with the love bugs weigh in with an experience? Does F11 help with the bug problem?

• Ceramic what? Never heard of it. Would you consider this to be a MOD? Where can I get it? Does it come in black? If so, will it be my last MOD?

Then I can get my home a/c fixed. All kidding aside, sounds interesting. Been battling these things for many years to no avail. Hep me hep me.

• Ceramic what? Never heard of it. Would you consider this to be a MOD? Where can I get it? Does it come in black? If so, will it be my last MOD?

Then I can get my home a/c fixed. All kidding aside, sounds interesting. Been battling these things for many years to no avail. Hep me hep me.

Definitely a mod due to the cost and time commitment :)

Here is the info https://www.slingshotforums.co…-coating-on-paint.178727/

• No love bugs here in the So Cal desert, but we do get the occasional june bug - - getting hit in the head by one of these is like getting hit with a rock

junebug.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• So let me get this strait. $200 to $1000 plus prep and effort? I was kinda looking for sumpin a bit cheaper and less technical. Like applying H2Oz706<xYz or equivalent. ALLin. I got some extra orange blades, no charge. Happy to help anyone with a slingshot in Florida to protect from those murderous, blood sucking, fire breathing insect bastards.

wokka thanks, but I will pass this one up. First time ever I have not adhered to your vast Slingshot experience and knowledge. I mean that.

• That $1000 was for someone else to do it, you can do it yourself for $200 or so.

Sorry for the confusion

I have no experience with applying a true ceramic finish, but from what I understand it requires a bit of work, before doing it the paint / clear coat of the vehicle should be fully corrected to remove any imperfections and then the ceramic finish itself has to be properly applied - from what I have read some of the companies that make these coatings require professional detailers to be trained and certified before they are allowed to use their products

Personally if I were going to do a ceramic coating it might just be worth it to get it done professionally rather than risking messing it up and then having to strip it off and start over

edit - having hung out on a detailers forum and hearing about whats involved I personally have opted just to try to maintain my slingshot with more traditional polishing and sealing - - I tend to think a full blown professional ceramic coating is more fitting for someone who does not want to have to regularly maintain their cars finish and I rather enjoy it myself

• Yes, you are correct on the process. The quote I received was $1000, which included the detailing work and getting it ready for the coating. Pricing out the materials, it's about $200 from amazon, and I'm sure it could be better priced elsewhere and in bulk.

That tells me that there is about $800 in labor and supplies (things like a profession rotating buffer, etc).

I'm willing to try it, may do it to a car that I don't care about as much as my sling first, but we'll see.

That post I linked over to TDS was pretty good, good enough I plan to try it, just not sure when I'll have time.

• just saw this over on autogeek.net - - - might be just what the doctored ordered for love bug season

Blackfire Bug Blocker

"BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker was developed as a temporary shield that provides your paint enhanced protection from insect remains. BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker is perfect to apply just before a long road trip or once a week during love bug season! The buffering agents in BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker will not only shield your paint from the insects but will even neutralize the acids in their bodily fluids, preventing them from corroding through your clear coat! Once your car is no longer at risk of bug bombardment, you can simply rinse or wash BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker (AND THE BUGS!) right off your car! BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker is safe to use on all plastic, chrome, glass, and paint."

As a side note autogeek.net is a great place to find out about all things auto detailing - the have a very good forum where you can get answers to just about any related question you might have

• Well That Blackfire stuff looks interesting. Thanks Cage free. Going to get me some and see if it works. I wonder if they have tested it against Florida's scourge, the Fu#% bug as we call them here. These thins are so nasty and acidic, spiders have been known build a new home if one gets caught in their web. No crap. The spiders here will not eat them. Chameleons and toads spit them out. I've seen mosquitoes high five them. lb5.jpg

lb3.jpg

lb1.jpg

• Well That Blackfire stuff looks interesting. Thanks Cage free. Going to get me some and see if it works. I wonder if they have tested it against Florida's scourge, the Fu#% bug as we call them here. These thins are so nasty and acidic, spiders have been known build a new home if one gets caught in their web. No crap. The spiders here will not eat them. Chameleons and toads spit them out. I've seen mosquitoes high five them. lb5.jpg

lb3.jpg

lb1.jpg

I hope it works for you - - those pictures are just plan nasty - - makes me very glad we dont have them here

• Washington you say. To many twisty and exciting roads. Here in Florida we drive in 2 dimensions. Strait, left or right. No up-down. My wife made me climb Mt. Dora during an art festival to get stuff from the car. Twice. (80 ft. above sea level) That would be X # 3 if I remember correctly.