I think I need to stay off Facebook...

• Br4hm4 i feel your pain as we seem to have had to live it together lately. 😊. And I get the “why the hell am I even on FB feeling”.

This is my 2 cents. I have been dumped on on FB forums for all kinds of things over the years. Most recently it has been, as Grant and wokka have pointed out, directed at our quad conversions. It would be acceptable to see opinions, but many of them have been insults or degrading comments. Grant you came to my defense on one and that is why I am still on FB. There are a few really bad apples in these groups and they can ruin a perfectly good thread.

Moment of vent... one thread in particular was about a 17yr old sling owner who died because he did not have on a seatbelt. A turd decided to make some rude and vulgar comments.

Ok back to my point. FB still has its benefits, but you have to wade through some serious crap sometime to see it. Hang in there man. Like any steaming pile of crap. They too will dry up and drift away

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Moment of vent... one thread in particular was about a 17yr old sling owner who died because he did not have on a seatbelt. A turd decided to make some rude and vulgar comments.

For this very reason I was watching this thread and thought it's timing was rather coincidental. I personally do not have fb or social media and as I posted here about this 17yr old I was hesitant. My friend and her husband (also members here) have been personally helping this young mans family. They started a gofundme page to cover funeral cost. They quickly made me aware that because of that they were being attacked on multiple Facebook slingshot groups for the cause. I know SOG page was one and the worst was slingshot nation I believe. These comments ranged from attacking the young man for not wearing a seat belt (which I will come back to in a minute). Saying that it's a great idea to put free money in the family's pocket for his stupidity. That if they can afford to buy him a slingshot they can pay for their own funeral. And if they can't afford it to sell the slingshot and pay for it...

Needless to say I was blown away. I've only ever been around and met such wonderful people on this forum. So for that reason I offered to post up the info here to help the family and some quick info on what a great kid I felt Alex was. I just could not believe the things I was being told was going on fb. But regardless, even though I was hesitant to post because of all this I did anyways. This forum did not disappoint and only furthered my commitment and bond to the family here. There was nothing but compassion and support on this forum for Alex and his family. I was proud to be able to let them know to ignore the comments on social media because it looks as they had the full support of the slingshot family here.

So for that I want to counter the original reason for starting this topic by saying thank you. There are wonderful people here. Which is probably why the pathetic people on FB are not here. They wouldn't last...

Incase any of those worthless people do read this thread and the post about how your mentality are rubbing people the wrong way let me update you. Some information has to come to light since the actual accident and it appears he may have actually been wearing his seat belt and swerved to dodge a car that pulled out in front of him. But that is irrelevant to your hatefulness. This young man graduated early at the age of 16 and bought this slingshot as his daily driver and was dedicated and in love with it as the rest of the members on this forum seem to be. He worked full time to pay for it and took no handouts. Hopefully one day, when you get over your bitterness to the world and look past your own personal issues you can try to be half the individual this young man was. Until then, I pray that if you or your family are ever in the situation Alex and his family are that karma steps aside and the compassion shown on this forum finds you before it's too late.

Alex's funeral service will be held tomorrow. Thanks to the wonderful people such as those on this forum the goal was met and we fully funded the service and the money raised has already gone to the funeral home. Now the only thing this family has to worry about is laying their child to rest and mourning his loss. At the request of his mother we have a line of slingshots assembling in the morning to lead the service. Thank you again to the wonderful slingshot family here on this forum for giving this family what a few bad apples on social media couldn't.

• OMG I couldn't agree more with all that everybody has said here, Facebook can be such a royal pain in the ass sometimes. Fortunately as some have said, there are still plenty of good people posting on Facebook , Br4hm4, Grant is one whose facebook contributions have been amazing. So please don't let the idiots so deep under your skin Grant .

The high end mods that most would never consider, are the hardest sell on Facebook and Painter nails it right on the head, "Jealousy breeds resentment and thus produces attacks."

Fortunately though there are many good people on FACEBOOK too , While every Quad Conversion post brings out two or three obnoxious loud mouths that tend to taint the 75 or more comments, it's the good people posting, quietly , honestly and sincerely , albeit a little less boisterously, that make it all worth while .

Comradery is not dead on Facebook , its just easy to loose track of !

' ,

• Thank you for the info and I really feel for the family, I wish I could be there for that line up.

• TheWickedReaper

Great post. It inspired me to write this.

Quick story:

So a few months back I was contemplating selling my sling for no other reason than to prioritize what i really needed vs what I owned. Sometimes you need to just sit back and look.

Well my wife sat me down looked me in the eye and said what are you crazy, The only friends you have own slingshots, the only time you go anywhere and have fun is with your slingshot and you guys on that forum have a stronger bond than anything I have ever seen. why would you walk away from something so special.

Well once again I realized how lucky I really am first off for having her in my life and secondly for having all you crazies in my life.

This is the very reason why both of us work so hard to put on events an bring our family together - just a way to say thank you

Never will ever use Facebook the place is a toilet that never flushes

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I am a newby here and you guys can go ahead and tell me how wrong I am. I am a big boy and the MC taught me not to give a .... With that being said I see so many say they will never use FB but the reality is that what we are doing her is exactly the same as FB. Posting thoughts and Ideas for others to read. I have even seen some of the same memes here that I have seen on FB... Again... just an opinion.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I think the point is the demeanor, the intent and our attitude.

Both this forum and FB are a medium to discuss ideas, share thoughts, pics, etc. However, this group here is pretty much self policing, you don't see nearly the amount of negativity and flaming as you do on FB.

I think it's our attitudes that make it much better here.

• I am a newby here and you guys can go ahead and tell me how wrong I am. I am a big boy and the MC taught me not to give a .... With that being said I see so many say they will never use FB but the reality is that what we are doing her is exactly the same as FB. Posting thoughts and Ideas for others to read. I have even seen some of the same memes here that I have seen on FB... Again... just an opinion.

Never been on face book and never will. But I can tell you this about the people on this forum. " THEY ARE THE BEST THAT YOU WILL EVER MEET " They can and will help you out with any and all problems that you may have and instruct you on how to do things including spending your money on your Sling. Some times you might have to listen some FUN BS just to show you that we like you, but no harm is meant. Welcome to our SS world, now your's also and come out and join us on one of our gatherings. We just finished up one in Bristol Tenn. with about 42 of our best friends and I think you have Eureka Ark. this weekend. Come on out and join us.

• Some of the best people I’ve ever met have been through Slingshot Info! I stayed in peoples home met great people been given life advice from people who have life experiences I didn’t have. Never had Facebook never saw any reason. On the people with the quads keep on keeping on those are bad machines! Don’t know why anyone would bash those like Kev said probably jealous. If it wasn’t for injuries I have from a previous accident my sling would be in my stable for a long time but shit happens!

• I kicked Facebook to the curb about three years ago and never looked back - one of the best things I ever did. I found this forum about four months after buying my sling and I can’t say enough about the support of the people here and the fun that I have found.!😎

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• As is stated earlier, this is a great forum. I initially joined the week before I went to Georgia and got my Sling. I live in Colorado. I asked for advice for a smooth drive home and was given lots of great advice and offers for help with oil changes and places to stay. It is an awesome forum no doubt.

FB is something different. I go there to talk with people I grew up with that still live in MN. Some of them I haven't seen since the 70's. I have joined several closed groups... (I worked for the "Phone Company" for 42 years) and they have a retirees group, I have joined two slingshot groups, several other riding groups, Can-Am groups and veteran groups. Yes, there are some people who don't get social media and scroll right by is your friend.

I am also a member of Spyderlovers.com. It is a forum similar to this. To be honest these types of forums have much more accurate information than FB regarding technical issues for these machines. But, there is much more diversity on FB in regards to what people are doing and have done to their machines. On FB you need to remember that if you ask about the intercom on a Spyder one of the first things you will hear is get Bluetooth.... nothing to do with the intercom question that the bike has but someone has and likes bluetooth.

Regarding the unfortunate accident that was mentioned earlier in this thread... it is unfortunate that some responded with comments about seat belts rather that condolences. That is our society... we seek to find blame rather than compassion.

Just like here and other forums, if I don't like what I read, I move on. These social media interactions do not control me and my thoughts... Anyway, I just wanted to share that and I hope I did not offend anyone.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.