Difference between brake dust and road dirt

• yep - thats pretty much how mine look when they get bad - and I tend to agree what what we get in the back is much more than just the brake dust - if it were 100% brake dust my pads would be long gone

fact it the back of the slingshot is a giant vacuum that sucks of all of the dirt it can find and deposits it right inside the rear rim - - fortunately it all blows off in a jiffy with a blast from my little air compressor :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• quite running over toads and your rear wheel would stay clean! I have been saying this for awhile that all the dust on the rear rim is not brake dust. If it was we would need new pads half a dozen times a year

• I think I saw an entry some where on this site of someone using a cutout from a 5 gal. plastic bucket to make deflectors that bolt to the each side of the rear Q-panels. Did anyone ever follow up to see if it actually worked? Or should I go back to using my Med's?

• I think I saw an entry some where on this site of someone using a cutout from a 5 gal. plastic bucket to make deflectors that bolt to the each side of the rear Q-panels. Did anyone ever follow up to see if it actually worked? Or should I go back to using my Med's?

Minon worked on that, but I do not know how it turned out

• It was originally the D-Mod by roadog1aj who reported limited results. Really only effective at high speeds. mniron worked with it but I don't think he got it to perform either. I was thinking about doing this in diamond plate to complement my rear protection plates but have kind of backed off parts production for the time being. If a guy spent some time experimenting with size, shape, placement, stand-off, etc., I think it's possible that it could work.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• It was originally the J-Mod by roadog1aj who reported limited results. Really only effective at high speeds. mniron worked with it but I don't think he got it to perform either. I was thinking about doing this in diamond plate to complement my rear protection plates but have kind of backed off parts production for the time being. If a guy spent some time experimenting with size, shape, placement, stand-off, etc., I think it's possible that it could work.

The small wings/for the lack of a better name that I got from Bone's was one of the first tries at this and of course it did not work but does look good on the back.

• If I remember correctly there was a station wagon (60-70s) had them on the back window. They were chrome.

I’m going to install a static strap using the top hole of the switch my arm. I think it’s static electricity from the spinning belt attracting the dirt to the spinning wheel.

Using the 303 stuff on the wheels seems to be helping the dirt to blow off easier.

• If I remember correctly there was a station wagon (60-70s) had them on the back window. They were chrome.

I’m going to install a static strap using the top hole of the switch my arm. I think it’s static electricity from the spinning belt attracting the dirt to the spinning wheel.

Using the 303 stuff on the wheels seems to be helping the dirt to blow off easier.

frankly I haven't found this to be enough of an issue to even bother worrying about - I like to keep my slingshot wiped down at least once a week and blowing a little dust & dirt off of the wheels is just a part of keeping things clean.

in the past I have owned vans and other vehicles where keeping the back clean was much more work than my slingshot

• Just a few months ago I was able to put together a nice air scoop under the belly of the Sling and route a vacuum cleaner tube, along the rear swing arm, and fastened it at the rear caliper so it directed forced air into the rear rim. I had high hopes that this would add to the D-Mod wings I already installed. It did work even better than my D-Mod wings. The "Air Scoop" was about 1" thick x about 8" long and tapered down to the tubing diameter. (I think it was about 1 5/8")

It was a really nice fit and didn't look out of place. It lasted about 6 weeks. But even as thin as it was, a perfectly placed dead possum in the road broke it off. So I removed the whole thing when I got home. It was the closest I've gotten to keeping the rear rim dust free. I haven't given up yet........... ;)

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• At this point out of curiosity I just want to confirm or deny my static electricity theory by using a static strap on the swing arm.

I suspect it is just the result of the vacuum created at the back of the slingshot - just like the flat back of a van, or that station wagon you remember that had the airfoil to direct air down across the back