Rear fender question

• So I bought a used eBay fender from someone on Facebook. It didn’t come with instructions but no big deal, a search on YouTube solved that!

My only problem involves drilling and tapping a hole in the swing arm.

The video I found talks about loosely installing a bolt through the fender bracket into an existing hole in the top of the swing arm and then aligning the bracket with a “boss” on the side and marking that boss for drilling a hole there.

My swing arm has the boss on the side but no hole on top. I have no issues drilling a proper hole in aluminum but I’m wondering if it’s advisable to do so in the top of the swing arm as Polaris did not build up that area. I don’t want to drill a hole in material that is potentially too thin to accept a tap.

I guess the question is, has anyone here installed a fender on a 2019 and had to drill and tap two holes?

• I haven't heard of the issue you're talking about yet. But if you have a Polaris dealer close by that has the 2019 GT (Grand Touring model) in stock, go take a look at how they mount the factory fender on that model. If your fender is similar, you should be able to fabricate something that will work or even buy the bracket that they use if its sold separately

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• You didn't state which brand or model of fender so good answers are hard to give.

My fender is from Metricks, it is the hugger model for the SLR. I've got a 16.5 so not sure if they've changed the swingarm. My swingarm is drilled and tapped from the factory.

I'm including a couple of pics, with their setup no drilling is required. Hope this helps.

• I installed one like that. I drilled it and tapped it.

I stopped using that fender bracket because the two support pipes snapped off. After I replaced the pipes with solid rod I had some tire rubbing issues. I have since mounted my fender like a dirt bike.

Enlarge This picture and you can see where they snapped off.

• DER

Mine appears to be a knock off yours. I don’t have

a hole on top of the swing arm near the belt like you did.

it may be that Polaris decided to eliminate it if they didn't need it. I figured it was originally their intention to use it for either belt guard or fender. Skipping the drilling and tapping would be a cost saving measure if they deemed it unnecessary. That said I seriously doubt they changed actual casting. I wouldn't worry about drilling it in that spot but that's just me. You make the call , it's your sling.

• This was my own design back in early 2015 and it's similar to later methods. No big deal drilling the hole, just make sure you have a good match on your tap and bolt.

nice work, it appears you laid a solid foundation for others

• If it helps here is a picture of the swing arm on my 2016 - as you can see it has the hole on the top near the drive belt - (I put a bolt in it to keep water from getting inside the swing arm) - and on the side of the swing arm you can see the square reinforced area that you are supposed to drill and tap - - if newer swing arms do not have the these areas built up as they are on mine there is no way in hell I would drill and tap it - - the reinforcement is there for a reason

i-WMTcTht-XL.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I guess I have the newest version of the mount because with mine there was no drilling.

There is a square welded to the back side of the strap . The strap itself is threaded and there's a bolt with a jam nut. Don't remember the numbers but you torched the bolt then tighten the jam nut. ....... I just got a couple more pics

• I guess I have the newest version of the mount because with mine there was no drilling.

There is a square welded to the back side of the strap . The strap itself is threaded and there's a bolt with a jam nut. Don't remember the numbers but you torqued the bolt then tighten the jam nut. ....... I just got a couple more pics

There is a square welded to the back side of the strap . The strap itself is threaded and there's a bolt with a jam nut. Don't remember the numbers but you torqued the bolt then tighten the jam nut. ....... I just got a couple more pics

I like that - - I am not real big on drilling holes if I don't have to

• personally I would worry about metal shavings from the drilling and tapping getting inside the swing arm - that seems very close to the bearings

• If it helps here is a picture of the swing arm on my 2016 - as you can see it has the hole on the top near the drive belt - (I put a bolt in it to keep water from getting inside the swing arm) - and on the side of the swing arm you can see the square reinforced area that you are supposed to drill and tap - - if newer swing arms do not have the these areas built up as they are on mine there is no way in hell I would drill and tap it - - the reinforcement is there for a reason

i-WMTcTht-XL.jpg

mine doesn’t have the built up area on top like yours does. I can see a circle but no reinforcements on top.

The built up area on the side is the same though.

Anyway, that’s why I asked. Since I have no idea how thick the metal is there, I think I will figure out another way.