Tire changes

• yep I had the tire changed and the next day when I went to put air in it I saw the crack. Took it back to the tire shop they said no way they could do that since they always work from the back of the rim. A lot of freaking bad potholes here in Maine and I've been hitting a lot of them so I wasn't going to harass them and I wanted to get a bigger tire for the rear anyway. So I bought new rims and tires 19 front 20 rear 305. I bought the rim and tire plug from RevDynamics. Mitch could not have been more accommodating. He kept me informed through the entire process from ordering until the shipment arrived today. The wheels were packaged to with stand a nuclear attack! They arrived in MINT condition. Took an hour to get them on and the slung rides funominal!!

• I must admit I am torn - - I would really like to go wth a larger tire on the rear even if I stuck with the largest 275 / 285 that would fit on the stock rim I am sure I would see an improvement in traction

on the other hand my frugal side keeps telling me that with the amount of mileage I get out of rear tires its not worth the extra $$ that a larger tire would cost

the Nitto 555 G2 255/35/20 is $142 - - - the same tire in a 275 35 20 jumps to $220

thats a pretty good bump in price for not much of a width

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I am Frugal too that's why I never replaced the rims and tires but since the back rim spoke cracked all the way through it was a good excuse. And honestly I don't know if it's the placebo effect since I only put 40 miles on it today due to weather but the ride is so much better and my wife even said without solicitation that it rides a lot smoother. So either my other rear tire wasn't balanced properly or the cracked spoke affected how the slingshot rode or just getting new tires all the way around with more Tread On The Ground makes it ride better. I don't know. But I could not be happier. Waiting for this winter to send my jri one ways and have them modded over to the GT'S. It should even make the ride smoother.

• Contrary to public belief, but a wider tire on the rear of the Slingshot does NOT produce better traction. Going to a wider tire of the same Brand and model has more tread on the ground. While it looks impressive, by having more surface area to provide traction, it also has LESS weight per square inch forcing it to the road. That fact is why the Slingshot is so traction limited. It would be interesting to have a comparison of someone with a stock SINGLE rear wheel with a stock sized Kenda and an after the 4 wheel conversion. I know it won't be apples to apples since it will double the surface area as well as halve the pounds per square inch of load, but by having a second wheel to split the traction with, I'm sure that alone will improve traction more than anything.

I'm not really happy with the traction I get from having gone to a 325 rear tire, but having that much meat hanging off the ass end (GOOD THING TRIPOD ISN'T HEAR TO READ THAT) more than makes up for it. Besides, no matter what size, brand or compound you have on the back, a boosted Slingshot will always be able to break it loose on demand

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I am Frugal too that's why I never replaced the rims and tires but since the back rim spoke cracked all the way through it was a good excuse. And honestly I don't know if it's the placebo effect since I only put 40 miles on it today due to weather but the ride is so much better and my wife even said without solicitation that it rides a lot smoother. So either my other rear tire wasn't balanced properly or the cracked spoke affected how the slingshot rode or just getting new tires all the way around with more Tread On The Ground makes it ride better. I don't know. But I could not be happier. Waiting for this winter to send my jri one ways and have them modded over to the GT'S. It should even make the ride smoother.

I will pulling my JRI's off of Sling I to send off for a rebuild before installing on Sling II. This is is the next thing that I will be doing sometime this week.

• Talking about traction I was kind of forced to install a Nitto 555-G2 in Bristol a few weeks ago. I am not satisfied at all with the traction as compared to any other rear tire that I have had on the rear of my Sling. As soon as I installed it I melted it down twice in the parking lot so it would be ready for the next day's ride. Even after 1,500 miles in Bristol the stock Kenda has more traction, especilly when hot. I am NA and I can spin the 555 at almost any time that I want to. I am also running 28 psi just to help it out. Some of you have already heard me call it a "SOD" tire (SPIN ON DEMAND). For track day I am taking the stock Kenda that is almost down to the wear bar's. But I will also be taking the 555-G2 with me. I do not want to take either of my other 2 new tires to the track, two different brands but both have more traction than the 555 does. If I had room to carry it, I still have a Kenda mounted that is down to the second wear bar I would take to the track day just to see what it would do.

• ....I've been doing motorcycle tires changes for decades , was one of the best tools for me since I work on alot of bikes it paid for itself, it does cars and bikes but I only leave it set up for bike wheels, I've changed my rear tire twice (I'm on my 3rd and last tire) plan on new wheels next season.....if your in the tri state and need yours done you can PM me......I do alot of bikes and prefer people bring me just the wheels ( I charge less ) but if you can't and bring the vehicle than I'll let you know the damage b4 hand.....oh and b4 you ask I use DYNA beads for balancing....

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TC221-Tire-Changer

• I do not think that I will be buying another Nitto unless I was going to do something for just track day. I would like to try the track tires that Ghost bought.

If I get to come to the track day you are welcome to try them before you go purchase a set.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I think the nitto was rated 4 out of 5 for traction...

I bought it because it has 3 3/2” more tread to start with over the kendas.

During fast starts especially while turning some funny stuff happens back there and I’m not sure what’s going on....almost seems like it’s slipping....