Opinions: Aftermarket Steering Wheels

• Looking for some input on an aftermarket steering wheels.

I have a 2017 SL in Navy Blue.

Currently looking at the Assault Industries Ballistic D-Shape in blue.

Being a "D" shape, is it something you get used to or, does it really not even come into play with normal driving.

I thought about a quick release for security but, they look to add additional space, pushing the steering wheel closer to me.

My goal is to try to get the steering wheel a little further away.

What hub adapter? There doesn't seem to be any info on how deep each one is. I am leaning towards the DDMWorks, mainly because I have their shocks and sway bar so..... brand loyalty. Besides, it seems to be the lowest cost as well.

Any input is appreciated.

• I went with the NRG RST-009R steering wheel, was around $100 on amazon. It's very comfortable, even has indents at 10 and 2 for your thumbs, doesn't sound like much, but it really matters after I've used it and notice it all the time how comfortable it is.

Using the DDM adapter.

I have a pic at A few smaller mods just scroll down a bit.

I don't feel that their adapter added any length, and I didn't want a removable one.

• I have a D wheel on one and reg on other. I can drive either one and don’t notice the change but the D gives more leg room. The quick connect is great on my sling with the roof. It makes it way easier to get in and out. The non roof has reg connect and it’s easy to get in and out of. So if your planning a top or already have one the quick connect might be better for you but also depends on the top you would select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• I love my Momo Jet 320mm. I took off a NRG that came on my first Sling because it flexed back and forth so easily. I don't know if it is the specific model that does that or maybe I'm just a Neanderthal.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I’m happy with my stock wheel with a cover I got from WallyWorld. 😄. Cheap, comfortable and it goes with the rest of my slingTheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I have a 2018 SL in Navy Blue. I went with the Assault Ballistic D shape wheel with a white stripe on the wheel. Couldn't get Blue when I ordered mine. I went with the DDM adapter because it fills that gap between steering wheel and the steering column cover so you don't see the yellow tape on the clock spring. As far getting used to it I have had no problems with it. If you have to worry about turning the wheel so fast that the flat spot would be a problem the way that triangle handles your probably in deep s#%t already. As far as it being to close to you I am 6ft 5in tall 220lbs with 37in length arms and I have no problems. I also installed the DDM Short Throw Shifter and I love it and its a piece of cake to install.

• I love my Momo Jet 320mm. I took off a NRG that came on my first Sling because it flexed back and forth so easily. I don't know if it is the specific model that does that or maybe I'm just a Neanderthal.

Same. The NRG wheel felt cheap. Now running a momo and it is firm and much more comfortable.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I have just the opposite as funcycle for brand name steering wheel lol, mine is the d-shape by GODSPEED now lol. And I use the NRG Short hub adapter. it doesn't add that much to the distance and have the security of the quick release.

• I have just the opposite as funcycle for brand name steering wheel lol, mine is the d-shape by GODSPEED now lol.

NNEVES57

I've been looking at one of these because the Assault d-shaped wheel is so expensive.

Have you found quality of the wheel satisfactory? Saw some comments online that worried me.

Is the wheel stiff enough for dynamic cornering? I'm no wildman behind the wheel, but I enjoy active driving!

Thanks,

Doc

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• This is a different steering wheel (https://www.protuninglab.com/326alrastwhf.html) in that it's a modified D-shape, but it doesn't seem to rotate the way my current steering wheel (https://slingshotonly.com/pola…eering-wheel-flat-bottom/) does. I originally bought a used TD D-shaped steering wheel with a hub, but I screwed it up during the install, so I tired the PTL wheel which I found a little awkward due to its odd geometry. I bought another TD steering wheel during a sale, but found that pushing on the bottom of the wheel while positioning myself when getting in & out stripped the screws holding the bottom part of the steering wheel rim to the down-spoke. I reinforced that connection by using slightly longer screws with cap-nuts so the screws can not pull out again.

• NNEVES57

I've been looking at one of these because the Assault d-shaped wheel is so expensive.

Have you found quality of the wheel satisfactory? Saw some comments online that worried me.

Is the wheel stiff enough for dynamic cornering? I'm no wildman behind the wheel, but I enjoy active driving

.I have not had any issues with my steering wheel at all. I drive pretty hard. of course that is all through town and not country roads or anything. The steering wheel is very sturdy, no give to it at all. I got it from Amazon.

• now that you got the steering wheel all you need is a new parking break handle and shift knob

i-gNzJx27-X2.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies