OEM Batteries and how long are they good for?

• My 2018 lasted 14 months. Always on the battery tender when sitting for more than a few days. I don't have any extra lights or stereo system taking extra power, changed all the lights to led's. Started getting iffy to start, dealer wanted to replace it with the same battery that has no warranty-really! Going down the optima path as that seems to give fewer problems. BTW, my 2016 that I traded still has the original battery and going strong. Not sure why these are not warranted for at least 2 years.

If you have that tiny motorcycle....no wonder...it doesn’t matter what you have or don’t have hooked up......upgrade to a full size car battery...

They put our exact GM motor in cars....they don’t use a motorcycle battery...

• If you have that tiny motorcycle....no wonder...it doesn’t matter what you have or don’t have hooked up......upgrade to a full size car battery...

They put our exact GM motor in cars....they don’t use a motorcycle battery...

yes they put our same motor in cars, but cars also have many more things that draw on a battery than a stock slingshot has

personally I would rather have the smaller AGM battery than any standard flooded cell auto battery - down here in our heat an old fashion flooded cell would would evaporate like mad and the corrosion from the venting would be a mess - - just not practical the way the battery is so hard to get to in the Slingshot

the "tiny motorcycle" battery as you call it is much more advanced design than the old skool flood cell battery design and in many ways it is superior. The AGM design will handle vibration and heat much better and is fully capable of doing the job it was meant to do in a stock slingshot

seriously the standard flooded cell lead acid battery that you think is so great hasn't really changed since it was first designed in 1858 and it has a horrible energy to weight ratio - - AGM batteries have many advantages including reduced weight for the same power, up to 5 times faster charging, ability to deliver higher currents due to reduced internal resistance, the ability to deep cycle, better performance in cold temperatures, and resistance spilling and corrosion

If AGM batteries like the "tiny motorcycle" battery or the yellow top were as bad as you like to say they are then why would they be what is used in military aircraft and vehicles?

oh - and yes AGM batteries can require new and different charging methods than what we grew up with, but new and better technology often requires us old dogs to learn new tricks if we want to keep up - - and being to lazy to learn how to deal with the new technology does not make the old technology better, it just makes us old, lazy, stubborn fools

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• Tiny batteries don’t have a warranty that is any better than full size

batteries...so much for advanced technology.....I’ll compare that to the orange gasket eating “new technology” antifreeze. New technology lithium ion batteries are prone to explode....if over charged.

As far as the government using them.....I would want to know how much the battery companies are paying the government in kick backs to use them. They might even give them to the government below cost just to get the advertising. Landing a big government contract is like hitting the lottery....Money greases the wheels of government. The government also uses nitrogen in their tires....

Why aren’t we all driving hummers?

When I first read about the new technology optima battery I fell for it hook, line and sinker....I bought one thinking it was going to be the future of car batteries and I was making a good investment. I planned on eventually replacing all my batteries with them. That’s $1500 worth of batteries.....After it crapped out before the 3 year warranty my impression of them quickly faded....

For double the money and no better warranty....why? I didn’t notice anything extraordinary about using it. Then add in needing to buy a special charger....and finding out about using another fully charged battery in a chain to charge them...and if they discharge too much, you’re screwed......they now stepped into the pain in the ass category and I’m buying more aggravation for myself. In my opinion from my experience.....they are not worth the extra money or the aggravation.

Just imagine if car engines were the same as they were 60 years ago? Before the new technology. Wouldn’t our lives be much simpler. We could fix our own vehicles without needing a college education and a computer science degree. Change the oil do a tune up and drive it forever...

• oh - and yes AGM batteries can require new and different charging methods than what we grew up with, but new and better technology often requires us old dogs to learn new tricks if we want to keep up - - and being to lazy to learn how to deal with the new technology does not make the old technology better, it just makes us old, lazy, stubborn fools

This is actually a misconception of AGM. It doesn't require a new charging method. It is more prone to problems if it is overcharged. It is also less resilient to heat. They should not be used if it's more than 120 degrees.

Semantics I know, but just wanted to clarify.

• I’ve had good luck with Optima batteries. I did have one go bad in 2nd year and they gave me FULL refund.
    I had a short draining it for those two years and it finally shorted the battery out. It was my fault for not taking time to fix the minor drain on it and just use a tender.
    If you don’t like them that’s your choice for your reasons. Don’t buy them. If they are as bad as some want to say on here then they would have been out of business long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Just curious if bigdog has any hammers that actually work...

Always hammering on the same points...

Over and over and over and...

Maybe his next hammering will be...

200.gif

And the rest of us can stop doing this...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have a 2018 SL With the Original OEM Battery...

And the SS Was parked in my garage for 8 + days without being on a tender.....

And when i turned the key on and pressed the red start button the engine started right up....Voom-Voom....

My question is...Is there something wrong with the battery...;);)...:)...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• well I procrastinated and haven't found the battery that I want to go with and when I went out to start the slingshot up this morning, well damn thing wouldn't crank over. Even though the guage said it was sitting at 12.2, when I turned the key on it dropped to 11.4 and just clicked, it wouldn't start. so it seems that I need to just go buy a damn battery and get over the whole damn thing lol.?(

• well I procrastinated and haven't found the battery that I want to go with and when I went out to start the slingshot up this morning, well damn thing wouldn't crank over. Even though the guage said it was sitting at 12.2, when I turned the key on it dropped to 11.4 and just clicked, it wouldn't start. so it seems that I need to just go buy a damn battery and get over the whole damn thing lol.?(

12.2 indicates a bad....Battery...Anything under 12.6 is ready to die...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......