OEM Batteries and how long are they good for?

• Also https://allthingsslingshot.com…ions/battery-boxes-mounts

SlingLow was supposed to be working on something, ahem, but he's forgotten about me

No sir, my nephew, the fabricator, forgot about us. His job ended abruptly and he has started up his own shop. I asked him about the battery tray that we built a template for and he thought he passed it on to his buddy to make from steel, but his buddy claims he never got it. So we will need to start over. I've been giving him some time to get paying work through his new shop and get some more equipment in. I helped him out with start up costs so this will be part of my payback. I've been running strong on my quad battery with no issues but will need it back in the quad for hunting season next month so I'll probably change over to the larger battery then. I'll make sure to make another now that I know you haven't given up on me.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I did, and they have the optima tray for 100. should the optima be the one? or any larger battery good? getting confused with options lol. I want one that I can connect to the sides as well as top for accessories but the optima looks like a very very tight fit. and yellow or blue? or red? lol. I'm not good with options lol

• one of the reasons I went and bought the extra fuse box to put up front. but due to the LED controller box, I really don't have a place to install it just yet. But before I get into all of that I wanted to get a better battery that could handle all of the new stuff and not drain and die on me. yes, very much so a culpable quandary to say the least.

• I did, and they have the optima tray for 100. should the optima be the one? or any larger battery good? getting confused with options lol. I want one that I can connect to the sides as well as top for accessories but the optima looks like a very very tight fit. and yellow or blue? or red? lol. I'm not good with options lol

You can go with a standard group 26 or group 34 which is longer. If you have a rear exhaust, the 34 may come pretty close to it. I personally won't spend the money they want for the Optima and will get a regular flooded cell group 26.

• I guess I could research the benefits of an AGM battery but my lazy gene keeps kicking in. I run flooded batteries in my quad and I've had it upside down several times without leakage. Does someone here want to educate me?

In AGM batteries (also called starved electrolyte), there is a thin ultra-fine fiberglass mat sandwiched between the plates that are saturated with battery acid to about 95% of what they can hold. This mat is then packed in between the plates and slightly compressed, then welded/soldered in place. Because the plates and mats are packed fairly tight, they are almost immune to vibration.

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) sealed battery technology was originally invented in 1980, and developed and introduced in 1985 for military aircraft where power, weight, safety, and reliability were paramount considerations. The Concorde AGM batteries are VRSLAB (Valve Regulated Sealed Lead-Acid Battery), sometimes referred to as VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead-Acid). Several manufacturers now produce AGM batteries, but Concorde was the first to develop the technology for commercial non-military use.

Similar to flooded, instead of just acid flowing around, they have the fiberglass mesh between the plates.

Personally, I wanted AGM because they are more efficient, sealed and more vibration resistant. Flooded batteries should be checked yearly for water levels, kinda hard in a sling.

• Realistically, how often are we really checking our batteries? We check them when there is a problem :)

I have an AGM in my truck and car, sling still has the stock one (newer Slings with the smaller battery is already AGM).

The four batteries in my golf cart got cheap ones, cause I needed four, lol. My big mower has a standard battery, I should probably check it, it's 4+ years old now, bought the mower used.

• Battery maintenance and tire pressure maintenance is similar. Some do it routinely and others when they have a problem. I tend to check mine all at once so if I air tires, I do 30-40 or more. When I service batteries I do my truck (2 batteries), 2 cars, Slingshot, tractor, excavator, 2 quads, lawn mower, camper, dump trailer and at least one more that I'm forgetting. I do the batteries in the spring and fall.

• Battery maintenance and tire pressure maintenance is similar. Some do it routinely and others when they have a problem. I tend to check mine all at once so if I air tires, I do 30-40 or more. When I service batteries I do my truck (2 batteries), 2 cars, Slingshot, tractor, excavator, 2 quads, lawn mower, camper, dump trailer and at least one more that I'm forgetting. I do the batteries in the spring and fall.

I had to clean the battery post twice a year (lead acid) they were getting so much built up on them