Eureka Springs 2019

• I understand how it goes chavey2. I had refused to lead a ride and then got pulled in too. I wasnā€™t even in Eureka. Ended up leading a ride on a route I had never been on even though I live in Rogers and have driven most of the roads through the hills In my 35 years here.

GPS in the hills is often not usable and will tell you to make turns onto dirt roads that start out paved. We compared 6 GPS units at one point and all 6 were different or just quit.

About a third of any large group ride will be happy no matter what happens because they are getting to see an area they havenā€™t seen before and are just enjoying the ride. Another portion will complain about going too slow and the final people will complain about going too fast.

In my 4 years of going to rallyā€™s itā€™s always the same. Doesnā€™t matter if you are leading or riding along in a group.

I prefer to just go to the rallies to see old friends, meet new friends, and get with a small number (4-8) who want to ride aggressively in areas we can be reasonably certain we wonā€™t have major incidents.

Very very well said. Everybody should read this post before they go to a group ride.:thumbsup:

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Group rides....lot of the guys will tell you "Just don't let EjFord lead a ride when at a rally" You WILL get wet. The important thing is everyone 'ride your own ride'. Enjoy your day and Slingshot and get back with the rubber down and the plastic up.

I have lead lots of rides with my home Gold Wing group and we road together every week and knew how each other would act and react as we went down the road ... when leading a ride at a rally we are riding with riders who generally don't ride together and that makes leading a ride very difficult.

Small groups with the Slingshots -- 6 to 8 -- are more than enough for a good safe ride.

Thanks to all those who lead at all the different rallies and meet ups.

• I combined a few of my videos together. Got some in real time and some in timelapse, which I thought were amusing. Starts off coming into Eureka Springs from the north and then parts of our ride on Saturday and finishing up with me playing around.

Sadly, the videos just don't do it justice. most of the twisties I'm breaking loose on the corners and drifting slightly, but it just doesn't reflect it in the video. All of this on 5lbs of boost.

Excuse me sir, but it appears that you were not obeying the posted speed limits!

Image result for funny speeding gif

• Cheavy 2 and Danger Darrel did a awesome job I do not care what anyone says. We use to have a little pow wow before rides, explaining to people these SS take corners like not other, stay off the freaking brake and keep the group together. If you are scared to take a corner then do not go. If you fall back on every curve and gap the group, then when you get on a straight away you will have to speed a bit to catch back up. The ones saying it was to fast must have never taken to many rides on curves because this was the most take grandma on a Sunday drive ride I have done in 4 years. Well except for maybe the normal interstate ride back to hotel after Lamberts. I personally was shocked no one kept up, it really was how I drive all the time. Cheavy cost me 20 bucks getting me back on time.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Thanks everyone.

To be clear: I don't have a problem with anybody saying they liked or didn't like what I DID. I know opinions are like Axxholes - everyone's got one and I'm good with everyone disagreeing with me (hey, it's what I do for a living).

The problem is that I'm hearing about things that I did NOT do and people are complaining about that. That I left people behind, that I didn't get people back in time, that I didn't plan a lunch stop, etc. THAT's what is torquing me off.

And to be clear, it's not just on this forum that I heard these things.

• Go fast I keep up, go slow wife keeps me awake, get lost and make U turns I enjoy every min. The people are great and I love these meets. I try to make the best of all of it. I never did get kickbacks for all those chairs I sold 8o

• Go fast I keep up, go slow wife keeps me awake, get lost and make U turns I enjoy every min. The people are great and I love these meets. I try to make the best of all of it. I never did get kickbacks for all those chairs I sold 8o

If you like getting lost come to Bristol and pick a back road and ride until you have no idea where you are at. I did this back in June for over an hour, the roads were paved but were single lane and I listened to the Banjo's the whole time. Then I decided I had better do what the GPS said and find my way back to a main road. True story except for the banjo's playing but then again I probably could not hear the Banjo's for the exhaust noise.

• I led two rides in Eureka and I agree with what everyone is saying. I find the people that are mostly complaining are the people that never been to a rally before or new to riding in a group and especially not used to the aggressive roads the Ozarks provides. The tail end of the group may believe the ride is too fast account the accordion effect, always having to catch up. I will address a few things with Ivor about the rides. Maybe free event fees for people who volunteer to lead rides? Split the rides up into a "leisurely" and "spirited" category?

Maybe the rallies do not need ride leaders anymore. Most pair up in our own groups and coordinate our own rides. The rides only seem to be important to the people new to the SS community. Just have handouts of suggested rides and leave it at that.

• I led two rides in Eureka and I agree with what everyone is saying. I find the people that are mostly complaining are the people that never been to a rally before or new to riding in a group and especially not used to the aggressive roads the Ozarks provides. The tail end of the group may believe the ride is too fast account the accordion effect, always having to catch up. I will address a few things with Ivor about the rides. Maybe free event fees for people who volunteer to lead rides? Split the rides up into a "leisurely" and "spirited" category?

Maybe the rallies do not need ride leaders anymore. Most pair up in our own groups and coordinate our own rides. The rides only seem to be important to the people new to the SS community. Just have handouts of suggested rides and leave it at that.

In the past we always had the aggressive group and the non aggressive group. I think a lot of the issue was not enough leaders and not quite as organized as in the past. No worries always a blast

• Not Eureka but in the Poconos I led a small group and we found a real nice road that was not winter maintained, it was paved then boom it was a two track trail 8|Ā  Hodge lost his front splitter on the first dip we encountered. We had to get the tools out and remove it before it got damaged too bad. A few mins and we were back on pavement and all good. All riders were glad we made it without any damage besides Hodges ( we were able to straighten it up back at home). It wasn't a planned road but the gps took me that way and like I said no real complaints but I could see some would not be happy. Can't please everyone

• This to say in dangerdarrell defense, I have ridden with him and his wife HeRSling many times and he likes aggressive riding. I know the video Chain took most of you could not see the fumes coming from the driver but they were there. His wife is just as good. Anyway he was doing a favor for some and it was a good scenic ride, although some saw it twice but still fun. Especially the ride back from Oark, after the log truck moved over.

Just reading about the mayhem in Bristol there were fast, slow, and cruising rides for different folks. Didnā€™t hear complaints but lot of thank you. That is with a lot of organization and good turnout.

Considering the turnout and all things there, we still had a great time.

Thanks dangerdarrell , Chain, chavey2 and all who had a great time.

I know I did!!!

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Not Eureka but in the Poconos I led a small group and we found a real nice road that was not winter maintained, it was paved then boom it was a two track trail 8|Ā  Hodge lost his front splitter on the first dip we encountered. We had to get the tools out and remove it before it got damaged too bad. A few mins and we were back on pavement and all good. All riders were glad we made it without any damage besides Hodges ( we were able to straighten it up back at home). It wasn't a planned road but the gps took me that way and like I said no real complaints but I could see some would not be happy. Can't please everyone

What could be more fun than an unexpected adventure! One thing proved is that the human mind is sometimes, maybe sometimes, never or once in a while more reliable than a GPS. Usually in my case the GPS wins. Most important is that everyone gets back. I didn't help on the way back. But defiantly had a great time. Most important it's noted that someone who steps-up & takes the initiative to lead a ride in unfamiliar territory can't be wrong only appreciated. Glad to hear Hodges sling got straightened up!

Now we can drink a beer and say remember the time....

^^

• Does anyone know where the rides are going?

Jamesgn

Chris, Did I miss something? I am usually the one who wants to go slower and see the country side and everything you said is true. When you booked it on the way back I was having to do 85 or better to keep up so I slowed down and got in the right lane, we were doing 70 then. I had no problem with that, you told me you were going to book it. At that point we had 5 behind us and with texting let them know we were going to go slower and they could pass us if they wanted. No one did, we led the way back and we had a good ride taking the scenic route . It was ok.

One thing I did learn from this trip is you can't make everyone happy with one run. It is either too fast or too slow. The only way to solve that is to have an aggressive run and a cruse. The other thing I learned was most people, ( the ones we talked to) wanted to go slow and see the country up there like we did. They didn't know the roads and/or were not experienced enough at high speed driving on curvy roads or like me didn't want to drive white knuckle.

My only comment about this is: When you lead a ride you lead everyone from start to finish.

Jamesgn

• I got the fix. You get a gopro drive like hell on wheels and watch the country later on your video. I can never remember what I scene anyway. Trust me if I ever lead a ride we will get lost I can guarantee it and I am positive I will piss someone off I seem to be good at that. I do not know the roads at all, I just figure if the guy in front of me made the turn I will too. So far it has worked for me even when I had a stock setup.

• Okay, so thanks all for the support. I also used to be the Oregon State Cruise Coordinator for the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club (when they were still being made) and put together 2 big GTG's in Reno and Klamath Falls. You can google "Wild West Chevy Avalanche Fan Club" if you want to see.

Here's what I've learned about these rides:

• Keep 'em small. Really, 10-12 is about the max that you can travel in a group at 1 time, especially in urban areas with street lights, turns, other cards, etc.
    • Make sure you have a 2nd leader at the back of the pack, someone who knows the route too, the next stops/turns/etc, and can make sure there are no stragglers.
    • Make sure that 2nd leader has contact with the first: Cell phones, texting, radios, etc.
    • Make sure everyone knows what the next stop is, be it on map or just saying "we're stopping in XXXX town for gas".
    • When you hit an intersection,
    1. Stop for EVERYONE to catch up.
    2. Turn and go slowly until everyone makes the turn, even if you have to wait for a light.
    3. Find a wide clear spot that it easily seen, and easy to get in/out of if you have to wait.

Make sure it's known if it's an aggressive or casual ride. Seems that is subject to opinion though.

Plenty of other suggestions too - feel free to add them.

• ANNND....no matter how bad you are tempted - DO NOT pay attention to roadside signs leading to

You will never get back on time...a friend told me that :00008359:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it