Slingshot hurricane preparation

• MOTHER F***ER! Somebody tell me this is a sick joke. The newest storm update from the weather channel says they have tracked wind speeds at a SUSTAINED speeds of 180 MPH with gusts of 200 MPH. This ain't funny. The only way to not be blown off the face of the earth from this storm is for it to NOT make landfall anywhere. Not trying to sound like a freakin' baby or drama queen, but if you don't hear from me after tomorrow, it was sure glad knowing all of you. (well, most of you) lol

This is what the state of Florida will look like if the Cat 5 hurricane makes landfall anywhere in the state

I think there have been a few people telling you for a week now to get the hell outa dodge. But no you wouldn’t listen. We will still be praying for your safe riding it out party.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I lived in Kissimmee from 1984 until late 2005. Every storm, they would show clips of people buying every sheet of plywood they could pile on top of a Honda civic. I'm sure you have seen them this time around.

My question now, as then, is WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO WITH THE PLYWOOD THEY BOUGHT THE LAST TIME?????

• After this one gets by us, if you watch Facebook Marketplace, you will see generators for sale, plywood for sale and everything else they bought.

Or all the generators they bought on credit card will be returned for credit. It happens EVERY storm.

• I lived in Kissimmee from 1984 until late 2005. Every storm, they would show clips of people buying every sheet of plywood they could pile on top of a Honda civic. I'm sure you have seen them this time around.

My question now, as then, is WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO WITH THE PLYWOOD THEY BOUGHT THE LAST TIME?????

They ground it up and put it in their breakfast cereal..:)

;)

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• After this one gets by us, if you watch Facebook Marketplace, you will see generators for sale, plywood for sale and everything else they bought.

Or all the generators they bought on credit card will be returned for credit. It happens EVERY storm.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try selling a couple cases of water bottles (empty), BBQ rib (Bones) a couple bottles of slightly used VALIUM. Any takers? Marco maybe? 8)8)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Having been thru 2 major hurricanes (Rita & Ike) my experience is surviving the storm is not half as bad as the aftermath. Zero creature comforts, hot with no A/C, can’t decide to leave then because debris blocking roadways or nowhere to get fuel because power grid is destroyed. As long as I have enough money to get the hell out - iIMMA gone MF’er if anything above a Cat 2 is heading in my GENERAL direction !!! Those that choose to ride this one out I hope each of you has an angel on your shoulder - you may very well need it IMO.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• It's all a matter of prep. Have been in SW Florida for 32 years and have gone through a bunch. Irma went right over us and we were in the eye for about half an hour. As we live next to an airport we had recording equipment and it showed peak gusts of 147 mph. Despite that there was very little damage in our community of 60 homes, some shingles on the older houses as well as pool screens and fences. Trees don't fare as well and almost always take out the power lines. Usually 7 to 10 days without power. Many of the houses are built tough with metal roofs and hurricane glass. Water and gas are gotten and stored early in season. A small inverter genset and a cheap window unit a/c will add to comfort. 2nd generator backfed into panel gives us well water, refrigerator, etc. Recreational vehicles make great lifeboats. Many Florida residents handle hurricanes about as well as Alaskans handle blizzards.

Years back when hurricane Georges went through the Keys I was responsible for 2 facilities down there. I was able to communicate with the local employees and had loaded up a plane with the usual post hurricane supplies. When I informed them, they wanted me to dump the supplies and load it up with beer and booze. Between their prep and various organizations donating supplies, they were more worried that the island (Key West) would be dry with all of the bars closed. I was the first plane to land at Key West after the storm passed. All kinds of dead fish on the runway and our facility on the airport had entirely lost its roof and was full of water.

• At one point living in Tampa I was asked to sit in on a pretty high level conference on building codes to increase safety in the event of hurricanes. Everyone had all kinds of ideas and towards the end a much older gentleman who hadn’t spoken was asked his thoughts. Never forget it - “he grinned and said “everything you guys have come up with is great but I haven’t heard one thing that will stop a flying Volkswagen”. That was all he said but EVERYONE got his point 😂

Brought ours up to Iowa when we moved back. Ice storms.

• After working offshore in the Golf of Mexico back in the day I have been through a few of these myself. Getting your tracking map at Popeyes chicken on the way out through the takeout window as well. Kind of like being on death row and watching and waiting and wondering in my opinion sucks. I’ll take our earthquakes any day.

Wishing all in the path of this one all the best!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• After working offshore in the Golf of Mexico back in the day I have been through a few of these myself. Getting your tracking map at Popeyes chicken on the way out through the takeout window as well. Kind of like being on death row and watching and waiting and wondering in my opinion sucks. I’ll take our earthquakes any day.

Wishing all in the path of this one all the best!

I dunno - earthquakes don’t even give you time to kiss your ass goodbye :00008172::00008172:

• At one point living in Tampa I was asked to sit in on a pretty high level conference on building codes to increase safety in the event of hurricanes. Everyone had all kinds of ideas and towards the end a much older gentleman who hadn’t spoken was asked his thoughts. Never forget it - “he grinned and said “everything you guys have come up with is great but I haven’t heard one thing that will stop a flying Volkswagen”. That was all he said but EVERYONE got his point 😂

• I dunno - earthquakes don’t even give you time to kiss your ass goodbye :00008172::00008172:

very true, but you also dont spend any time freaking out - by the time you know its coming its usually over. biggest difference is that you better always be prepared - no time to do last minute shopping

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Having been thru 2 major hurricanes (Rita & Ike) my experience is surviving the storm is not half as bad as the aftermath. Zero creature comforts, hot with no A/C, can’t decide to leave then because debris blocking roadways or nowhere to get fuel because power grid is destroyed. As long as I have enough money to get the hell out - iIMMA gone MF’er if anything above a Cat 2 is heading in my GENERAL direction !!! Those that choose to ride this one out I hope each of you has an angel on your shoulder - you may very well need it IMO.

I think that’s probably the number one thing everyone forgets about. They might not die or get hurt in the storm....but like you said....then what....now you’re using your bathroom bucket....

• you can all keep your hurricanes and tornadoes and earthquakes. (oh my)

as much as i piss-n-moan about winter in northern Maine. I have to admit, they know how to handle it up here. we can get an 18 - 24" of snow in a storm and about an hour after it stops snowing all the roads are clear and stores are opened. Unless it's dumping more then 3" an hour, they keep the roads clear enough here to drive anywhere you want.

as much as i piss-n-moan about winter in northern Maine. I have to admit, they know how to handle it up here. we can get an 18 - 24" of snow in a storm and about an hour after it stops snowing all the roads are clear and stores are opened. Unless it's dumping more then 3" an hour, they keep the roads clear enough here to drive anywhere you want.

Ya but opening your door to a wall of snow in the shape of your door kinda sucks too. Been there done that left that !☺️

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

"drive anywhere you want"?

I suspect that with my slingshot being my daily driver that might not hold true - at least not if I want to stay alive

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies