Shifter Knobs...

• Long shifter? . . . . short shifter?

or perhaps some combination of both

I have noticed there seem to differing views on how best to set up a shifter. Some people like to install a short shift kit to make the travel of the shift lever shorter with the idea that a shorter throw is faster and more efficient

lately in my surfing around the web I have discovered that some people think it is a good thing to extend the shift lever with something like this:

with the idea of bringing the shifter closer to the steering wheel whic will make shifting faster with less time spent moving the hand to the shifter but also gets both hands back on the wheel faster for more control

And then there seem to be a bunch of people that think you need to do both so that when you extend the shifter you dont make the throw any longer than necessary

So I would like to hear your thoughts on this. I know many of us here, my self included, have the DDM or the Alpha short shift kits installed, but has anyone here extended their shifter and if so did you also install a short shift kit?

I noticed that wobbly posted a picture in the first page of this thread showing that he has an extender - anyone else?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I like the DDM short shifter with what I call the DDM short stainless ball. DDM also has the extended ball that does away with the spacer. To me the short shifter is way better that the stock one that comes on the SS. It is not as smooth but I still like it better. As to making the shifter longer for me, no way. Was up to me I would even have it shorter but it would be a little harder to shift IMHO.

• I like the DDM short shifter with what I call the DDM short stainless ball. DDM also has the extended ball that does away with the spacer. To me the short shifter is way better that the stock one that comes on the SS. It is not as smooth but I still like it better. As to making the shifter longer for me, no way. Was up to me I would even have it shorter but it would be a little harder to shift IMHO.

I have the DDM short shift and I am using the NRG threaded shift knob adapter - this adapter is very short so my hand is right down on top of the boot - - with the Hurst T handle on it I have to be careful not to jam my thumb into the front of the shifter well when going into first- - also the leverage could be better - I was thinking about putting about a 1 inch spacer in there to lift it just a bit and thats how I stumbled across these super long extenders people are using which lead me to asking here what people think of them and the idea that its better to have your hand closer to the steering wheel

• I have the DDM short shift and I am using the NRG threaded shift knob adapter - this adapter is very short so my hand is right down on top of the boot - - with the Hurst T handle on it I have to be careful not to jam my thumb into the front of the shifter well when going into first- - also the leverage could be better - I was thinking about putting about a 1 inch spacer in there to lift it just a bit and thats how I stumbled across these super long extenders people are using which lead me to asking here what people think of them and the idea that its better to have your hand closer to the steering wheel

here it is extended 2 inches - like the length, but the tilt of the handle is still to much forward

• Its interesting, it seems these very long shift extenders are something that are used by people who are into drifting and drift racing - to keep the shifter (and hand) as close as they can to the steering wheel when heal n toe shifting in the corners.

It seems reasonable that different types of driving / racing would call for the shifter to be set up differently. straight line drag racing set it up as short and fast as possible, racing where you will be shifting in the turns set it up to get the hand back on the steering wheel as fast as possible