Mysterious noise in the back, a tale of mystery and imagination.....

• Great observations, I can't disagree with them and they might be a factor to the axle bearing which is now the clear suspect.

• If it ain't broke don't touch it, just keep an ear out to avoid an issue creeping in over time.

• I’m not saying belts can’t be making noice because at some point in time we have had vehicles with slipping/noisy belts..

But the belt thing just didn’t make sense to me....from an objective standpoint.

Not when you add up all the other little tidbits of info....the sand, the noise when you make a turn, water on the belt, no water....belt tight, belt loose. Not seeing anything bent or warped..

When I’m having a perplexing intermittent issue with anything and you can’t figure what it is......I would rather have something blowup, catch fire, start smoking, melt down, fall off or break in half or something to clearly indicate ....hey this is exact the problem. Then you have a firm starting point, know what’s involved, how much it costs and how to solve it.

I hope that’s the real issue....for one it helps all of us to identify a problem.

• I hope that’s the real issue....for one it helps all of us to identify a problem.

Don't forget I did have a consistent noise in the belt that I clearly show in the garage video. That's what was throwing me off. This is all good info to know down the road. Just remember it may not be the bearings directly if there is a rubber o-ring somewhere in the the axle assembly that could be the culprit as well but it is indeed something in the axle reacting to moisture.

• Maybe the axle bearings need repacked with grease....

let's hope it's that simple, I really want it to be that simple of a fix. Alas I will have to leave my sling for god knows how many days if not weeks before they will get to it. It's so bad they told me to call them a week after the holidays before I can even set an appointment with them. This is Polaris's achilles heel when it comes to slingshot sales potential.

Polaris dealerships have no customer service incentive especially when dealing with warranty issues. I know this tends to be more common among motorcyle/rec vehicle dealerships but boy is it annoying. If down the road I was considering buying a new model sling (don't plan on it, ever) the dealership's poor customer service reputation would be the biggest deterrent and the first warning I would give to any prospective buyer.

Ironically Polaris just sent me an automated email advertising extended warranty packages.

Lol, the last time I was offered extended warranty packages on my new car, I told the dealership that if this automaker's car were to fail on me after 5 years of normal use, I would never buy that brand again and move on to another. They had no answer to that. I have owned 6 new cars in the past 30 years (averaging 5 years before trade-in) and never had an issue with any of them. I know polaris is not in the same category.

Best quote I have seen about polaris products: "It's a polaris ATV so drive it as hard as you want for less than two years then get rid of it as fast as possible before it explodes".

• I don’t think it’s an intentional thing.....there aren’t that many slingshots on the road....so there is a lack of qualified SS mechanics.....they sell way more quads than anything....so they take priority....my opinion....

You are right about having to wait.....nobody can just walk into my dealers service shop.... they require an appointment......if you have a warranty issue...first, they have to prove to Polaris the part is defective....then, Polaris has to ok the job and most likely third, the dealer has to wait for Polaris to send them the replacement part/s. They may stock small repeat problem parts ....but anything major not so much.

This all process takes time and then throw in any new quad dealer preparations...and you have a lot of no riding time.

• I don’t think it’s an intentional thing.....there aren’t that many slingshots on the road....so there is a lack of qualified SS mechanics.....they sell way more quads than anything....so they take priority....my opinion....

You are right about having to wait.....nobody can just walk into my dealers service shop.... they require an appointment......if you have a warranty issue...first, they have to prove to Polaris the part is defective....then, Polaris has to ok the job and most likely third, the dealer has to wait for Polaris to send them the replacement part/s. They may stock small repeat problem parts ....but anything major not so much.

This all process takes time and then throw in any new quad dealer preparations...and you have a lot of no riding time.

The good news is that now I know how to cause the noise, I know how to avoid it in the future. I washed the sling today and minimize the amount of water and soap I used around the rear wheel while still getting it clean. I took it for a ride and the sound did not come back. The only thing I can't control is getting caught in heavy rain or driving on lots of wet roads after the rain which I am positive will bring back the noise for a few hours of driving.

I have a few weeks before I can make an appt for them to take a good look. The way I figure if the sound doesn't come back after a few more washings I think I will chalk it up to design flaw and not a manufacturer defect.

I did get a chance to consult with an experienced mechanic who I trust and after giving him the details he concludes it's either the bearings or bushings (if they exist) in the axle housing that are having an issue with moisture. He confirmed my belief that since it doesn't make noise when dry then the bearing's integrity is fine. Since the noise goes away once the moisture is gone, He feels it can go either way of it being a defect and more a flaw in design.

So in the coming weeks, if I can't easily bring back that obnoxious noise from my weekly washings then I am just going to accept it and avoid the hassle with the dealership. Going to ride her hard till the end of next year and trade her in for a new shiny toy. :)

• Bigdog

"Damaged bushings can trigger clunking and creaking when you increase the car’s speed or turn a sharp corner. How? A malfunctioning bushing can make the suspension and frame parts move abnormally. That leads to sounds specifically coming from the steering system of the vehicle.

Going further regarding a worn bushing, this damaged component weakens the bond between two car parts. The weak connection results to misalignment. Every time the misaligned parts return to their original positions as the vehicle moves, they make clunking noises which are noticeable due to the rhythmic movement of the car.

Meanwhile, bushings that continuously connect to their metal casing because of worn rubber create squeaks as the vehicle is in motion. To solve all these clunks, creaks and squeaks, a mechanic must fix or replace the damaged bushings. Do not be surprised if the mechanic tells you that the root of the problem is just a tiny disc made of rubber. It only proves how important bushings are."

https://www.globalcarsbrands.com/what-are-bushings/

too lazy to study the service manual to figure out if bushings are used in the axle housing.

• I would for sure repack those bearings, but water and bearings do not make good partners. You may or may not have rust forming from them running dry after bearing gets wet. Its not going to be a fast death of the bearings and they may be saved, but I would want them replaced , especially if you can get them under warranty.

• I would for sure repack those bearings, but water and bearings do not make good partners. You may or may not have rust forming from them running dry after bearing gets wet. Its not going to be a fast death of the bearings and they may be saved, but I would want them replaced , especially if you can get them under warranty.

I plan to keep a careful ear out for bearing noise for the next 2 years. So far, after a hundred miles of noise free operation (now that I know how to avoid the problem) I am confident the bearings are fine for now.

I have no desire to have my sling sit at a dealership for weeks on end for them to get at the bearings for inspection (pretty sure they will charge me to grease them) nor do I want to invest in the tools and research to do it myself. So as long as they hold-up these next two years I will be happy because by then I will trade her in.

Never buying a polaris product again.