Need some advise from the Slingshot Community

• As allot of you know we are getting ready for Mayhem in the Mountains. There are some people that can't make it this year (not just you Boomer). As all of you know on this forum if there is no picture, it didn't happen. In an effort to have the best pictures possible, we are going to buy a drone. I would like to hear from some people that have experience with them and purchasing ideas. Someone at my dealer has one but he can't come. He has given me some advise but I would like to collect as much information as possible. If you don't want to post on this thread PM me. Thanks to all my Slingshot brothers and sisters in advance for your advise and help.:thumbsup:

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

Edited once, last by 123hotdog ().

• unfortunately I am not going to make it. I own 3 drones, one mini to race around the house, one RACING drone for tricks and FPV flights and one for long distance and pictures and video. The pricey drone is my mavic pro. it has a ton of great features. you should google it. I think I paid around $1300 for the kit.

• I have a Mavic 2 Pro and love at. Had a Mavic Pro Platinum prior to that. DJI makes great drones, arguably the gold standard in consumer video/photo drones. Not cheap though. The 2 Pro will run you around $1800. If you go that route, spend the extra cash and get the Smart Controller. WAY better than the standard controller.

• Yup, that was my biggest gripe about the pro platinum. Having to cobble together the controller/cell phone combination every time I wanted to fly. To me, the Smart Controller alone was reason enough to upgrade to the 2 Pro.

• unfortunately because I live in the NCR (National Capital Region) I really cant fly my drone enough to upgrade. I have to drive a good ways just to get it airborne. so I wont be going out and spending that kind of money on a drone again lol. Now my racing drone doesn't have the same restrictions and I get to fly it often. but it is a racing drone and I crash it a lot lol.

• Yeah, I rode to Sturgis last year and pretty much every attraction I wanted to fly at was a no-fly zone. I finally did fly it at an attraction called "Carhendge" (bunch of cars planted in the ground in the shape of Stone Hendge), because there were no
    "no-fly zone" placards anywhere, and the proprietor gave me a lecture for not asking permission first. Unless you're out in the middle of no-where, finding a place to fly that is also picturesque can be a challenge.

• I think the factory has done one oil change, and replaced seats that they messed up. other than that, NO recalls, no other oil changes or anything. I did the 500 mile, right now I am close to only 4K so not near the 5 thousand mile check up? and I bought mine in October of 17. I am sure that I have voided warranty by now. I put on the top, exhaust, cai, wing, seats, radio, backup camera and a dozen other things. . . . . .

• I'll start by saying I don't own one ... yet.

But I've been looking at them to film some remote area ATV riding I do in Northern Maine.

the Mavic Pro seems to have the best follow me specs, along with collision avoidance, etc.

it's supposed to be able to fly higher up and just behind or in front of you and follow you around. It can also be set in profile mode, which puts it next to you, or terrain mode where it follows right behind you at the same height off the ground as you.

It's not the newest model, but supposedly the best model for follow me technology

I would think it'd make an interesting video of the rides thru the mountains

• I think the factory has done one oil change, and replaced seats that they messed up. other than that, NO recalls, no other oil changes or anything. I did the 500 mile, right now I am close to only 4K so not near the 5 thousand mile check up? and I bought mine in October of 17. I am sure that I have voided warranty by now. I put on the top, exhaust, cai, wing, seats, radio, backup camera and a dozen other things. . . . . .

Yeah, but I assume bolting on a turbo instantly voids the factory warranty and the way my luck runs the following day I'd have a catastrophic crankshaft failure :P

• I'd love to put a turbo on my sling, but I guess I better wait for the factory warranty to run out first.

There will be none of the silly talk on here. I didn't even hit 1000 miles on mine before the fun started. You would be surprised what Polaris will cover under warranty even with heavy mods. I was at an official Polaris sponsored photo shoot and thought I toasted my clutch and was told there would be no issue getting it replaced under warranty (from a Polaris rep) while they were filming my mods.

Food for thought tenor (2).gif

Cheers!

• A step down from the Mavic Pro is the DJI Phantom series. I bought the Phantom 3 Pro but the Phantom 4 has the follow me and collision avoidance features that people seem to want. I got it used, in almost new condition for $600 with several accessories including multiple props, an LG pad, a backpack case, lens filters, a total of 3 batteries, and a 2nd (not working) controller. The 4k camera takes awesome pics and videos and it is fairly easy to fly. And if I fatally crash it, I'm out 6 hundskis not a couple grand! Once my skill level is up, maybe I'll want a better one but this is plenty for me for now.

6-29-19re5-w800-o.jpg

6-29-19re2-w800-o.jpg

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Drones are a ton of fun but as most of us are not naturals at flying trees and other obstacles become problematic. If you are a first timer I recommend getting a cheaper version to practice flying with, before you spend big $$ on the more expensive drones. Magic Air seems to provide good bang for $ and gives good photos. I have crashed several and haven’t gone big time yet. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I owned a Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro. I personally like the Air a little more due to the size and smarter technology it had vs the Pro. The Pro 2 how has all the same tech and is substantially more expensive. I can highly recommend the Air. If you don't plan on using it a lot...you can at least justify the low cost, high tech, and ease of flight.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• well I guess I could give you a really cheap solution, maybe lol. go get an FPV racing 250 drone, about 300 bucks and you have a complete already built ready to fly system, controller and all. then mount a go pro on it and that will be your video source. wont be the best, isn't all that stable, but works and wont cost an arm and a leg.

• I have one. They say it can fly itself - It has been in the yard for 2 months an hasn't moved.

I can't afford to keep buying parts for it - every time I make it go up a tree tries to eat it

Just one question, could it be you have too many trees? It is definitely not pilot error right!

Just Sayin

Keep Three Wheels Down