Power loss in 5th gear

• Hypothetically speaking, Say your running 4600 rpm in 4th gear on long flat open road and put her into 5th gear is it normal not being able to hold the speed your traveling at and actually start to slow down while in 5th gear?

5th is an overdrive gear ... you want power downshift ...just like an automatic would...

You want top speed keep it in 4th ....

Most never even use the upper RPM range where power lives ..... including many Turbro's ..... tongue-squared

You won't hurt it....spin that thang .........

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• After installing the 1320, UPTone, and K&N I have no problems setting the cruise on 80 and it doesn't loose more tha 1 mph going up long hills. Works at any speed I've tried from 70-88. Haven't had the ECU touched yet.

Yes sir, with the Alpha CAI, 1320 header, Alpha side exit exhaust, and Bob's tune ... downshifting to pass is now optional.... 5th pulls just fine.... 4th even better ...... :00000019:

Helps that my SS is also a bit lighter than stock ...those with a bunch of added weight, tall windshields, and/or roofs that add to the Slingshots already brick like aerodynamics will find higher speeds more challenging ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I find this conversation interesting. I usually cruise at about 112 kph which is essentially 70 mph. I set my cruise and have no issues with keeping up with traffic or overtaking. When I pass, I downshift, pass, and reset my cruise.

I haven't noticed a loss in power.

• I find this conversation interesting. I usually cruise at about 112 kph which is essentially 70 mph. I set my cruise and have no issues with keeping up with traffic or overtaking. When I pass, I downshift, pass, and reset my cruise.

Yes, but if you give it some better flow you don't even have to downshift and reset.

• I have set the cruise at 100 mph on I-26 coming home in Oct. just to keep up with traffic

I find this conversation interesting. I usually cruise at about 112 kph which is essentially 70 mph. I set my cruise and have no issues with keeping up with traffic or overtaking. When I pass, I downshift, pass, and reset my cruise.

I don't think my sling will go over 100-105 in 5th gear.

• I don't think my sling will go over 100-105 in 5th gear.

I am in no way knowledgeable in auto mechanics, however, after 7100 kms, I do know what my machine is capable of. If you are having an issue on this level, it needs to be brought to your dealer's attention. Our Ford Focus also sports a 2.4 l engine. I find the SS very comparable to it. The SS tops out at just short of 170 kph and the Focus tops out at 180 kph. Now, yes, car vs SS, but the capability of the similar engine says you should be in or near that range. If you can't get it over cruising speed and have it maintain itself, you have an issue.

• After installing the 1320, UPTone, and K&N I have no problems setting the cruise on 80 and it doesn't loose more tha 1 mph going up long hills. Works at any speed I've tried from 70-88. Haven't had the ECU touched yet.

My only changes are a cat delete and the DDM CAI. I made the trip to Daytona in the Spring and ran 80 - 85 MPH most all of the 1,100+ miles, whatever the prevailing traffic was doing. I rarely was not in 5th when at speed. I was VERY pleased with how much punch and acceleration ability was on hand, particularly knowing that the SS's 5th is an extreme overdrive at around .75:1. I do have the 1320 header on order now and it has been shipped. The search for more performance never really stops does it.