Is there a connection?

• As many of you might know the radio reception in the 2015 / 2016 slingshots leaves allot to be desired. I never really worried much about it because I could always stream Pandora through Bluetooth or stick a thumb drive in the usb port and play music off of that. Anyway about a month or 2 back my pandora didnt connect and with my phone being in my pocket I just pressed the button to switch it to the USB, but instead I switched it to the radio. It was on a song I like so I didnt think much of it and it has been on the radio ever since

Well today I was reading a facebook post where someone was asking what they could do about the bad reception on their 2016 SL radio and several posts down someone suggested that much of the problems are caused by the back up camera - - when I read this a light went on in this old brain of mine and I remembered that several months ago I disconnected my back up camera - didnt want to take it in just for the recall and figured it would be safer to unplug it

anyway since I have been using the radio I havent really noticed any reception problems - at least not enough for me to even take notice so

is there a connection? am I now getting better reception because I disconnected the camera?

oh and if I am will getting the new camera on the recall bring the reception problems back?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I had the camera recall done back in early June. Reception is a little better, but not much.

was paying more attention on my drive home yesterday and back to work this morning and I must say the radio reception was great no fading and crackling in places where it always did before - only thing that has changed is that the camera is unplugged - I know that there is what looks like a ballast or coil in line with the camera between the plug and camera itself, I believe this is the voltage regulator that is the focus of the recall and I wonder if it is this regulator that causes the interference - - - - If/when I finally do get the recall done I guess I will see if the interference comes back

• Might have to disconnect the camera and go test drive to see if that is part of the problem.

I disconnected the camera because I didnt want it to over heat or cause problems before I get around to the recall, Its been months now and frankly I couldn't care less that I haven't had the camera. The only time I recall ever even looking at the screen was backing out of my driveway in the morning seemed like it was the only time I could even see the screen without it wiped out by glare. With the screen positioned the way it is the camera is pretty much worthless 99% of the time and with the convex mirrors I had installed at the Fallbrook event seeing behind me when needed is really very good

Anyway If the interference returns after the camera is replaced for the recall I will probably just disconnect it permanently - rather have the radio work than the camera

• Was standing in the garage the other night and I noticed something that could be a contributing factor to my improved radio reception - I am sure it is a long shot, but knowing how antennas work from my old CB radio days I can't completely dismiss the idea.

One of the other things I changed that could have had an impact on radio reception is the installation of the latch striker bar of the MeanSling sport top.

Radio antennas often have passive elements that are not electrically connected called reflectors & directors these are placed either behind or in front of the active antenna element to make the signal stronger

the back metal bar that attaches between the roll hoops where the latch striker mounts for the Sport Top is very close to where the radio antenna is located like I said it is a long shot, but it is possible that having this piece of well grounded steel in such close proximity to the antenna could be acting as a reflector and in doing so helping to increase the signal strength

for reference here is a snap of the latch striker bar - and yes it is not the bar that came with the top,

i-WDts3sw-X2.jpg

anyway like I said its probably a long shot, but every time you put metal in close proximity to a radio antenna it can have an impact on signal strength and I would find in interesting if other Sport Top owners had noticed improved radio reception