Running New Wires to the Battery

• Tapping into the alternator output is the easiest way to access power in the engine compartment. If you need to tap power at the battery search EBay or Amazon for "multi-connector battery terminal connector".

I think tapping into the alternator output will also give me a cleaner wiring look. this way I am not having to run all the way to the back of the bike. so running to the alternator, where did you ground it?

• I think tapping into the alternator output will also give me a cleaner wiring look. this way I am not having to run all the way to the back of the bike. so running to the alternator, where did you ground it?

Engine has a ground coming off of the back of the block and to the frame, great place right there by the dash to add a large ground.

• I think tapping into the alternator output will also give me a cleaner wiring look. this way I am not having to run all the way to the back of the bike. so running to the alternator, where did you ground it?

Another good spot is on the fwd bolt that holds the left rear hood latch. That's where I put mine. Only about 6 inches long.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Another good spot is on the fwd bolt that holds the left rear hood latch. That's where I put mine. Only about 6 inches long.

FYI...I snapped off one Of those bolts and had to drill it out and tap it bigger...

All of that On an angle...

I had my aux fuse box velcroed in that location and used that bolt as a grounding point.

• ouch that sucks. I have to drill and tap a bolt for the dash on the passenger side. I haven't done it yet but it has been broken since I put the radio in back in 2017. I also have one that is stripped that needs to be tapped on the belt guard. not looking forward to that either.

• Tapping into the alternator output is the easiest way to access power in the engine compartment. If you need to tap power at the battery search EBay or Amazon for "multi-connector battery terminal connector".

can you take a pic of that output? I have looked all over the alternator, as well as pulled my service manual out and there are 2 cables. one red or hot going into it, and second is a dual type plug. so are you referring to the red wire? connecting to that same bolt? I mean I hope so, it is the most accessible one. Also still trying to figure out if I connect there, will grounding to the frame cause an electrical issue? maybe I should ground ON the alternator? just don't want to cause any shorts that I can avoid in the future lol.

• can you take a pic of that output? I have looked all over the alternator, as well as pulled my service manual out and there are 2 cables. one red or hot going into it, and second is a dual type plug. so are you referring to the red wire? connecting to that same bolt? I mean I hope so, it is the most accessible one. Also still trying to figure out if I connect there, will grounding to the frame cause an electrical issue? maybe I should ground ON the alternator? just don't want to cause any shorts that I can avoid in the future lol.

The Auto Zone has the 1/4 push on lug connector that goes on the post, it has 4 connections to use

• I used one of these an ran a 4 ga. Wire from the battery to the front under the hood.

Wrapped the wire in a loom along the frame inside the cockpit came out right under the hood latch on the driver side. Then under the dash over to my new electronics tray.

Where it Came out is circled in the picture in post #21 of this thread.

• can you take a pic of that output? I have looked all over the alternator, as well as pulled my service manual out and there are 2 cables. one red or hot going into it, and second is a dual type plug. so are you referring to the red wire? connecting to that same bolt? I mean I hope so, it is the most accessible one. Also still trying to figure out if I connect there, will grounding to the frame cause an electrical issue? maybe I should ground ON the alternator? just don't want to cause any shorts that I can avoid in the future lol.

**** Disconnect your battery completely first, not just the negative post ****

Then add a ring connector to your secondary fuse box positive (Hot) feed and go directly to the alternator lug. Ground your secondary fuse box to the frame.

.... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I must clarify that while I have read about tapping power from the alternator, I have not yet gotten around to doing so, myself. The first generation alternators had the red-capped terminal on the bottom, but at some point (looks like starting with the 2017 model), Polaris is reported to have changed the alternator to one that has the red terminal on the top.

• my 2017 model is just like the pic from Orangeman . its on bottom. But I have to find a place to put the fuse tray. the area that you guys put yours has the remote control box for the LED system that was installed awhile back. so I have to find a way to move stuff around lol. work in progress. but while trying to figure this out. I ended up putting on some pin striping and I cant wait to see how it turns out overall lol.

• ahhh awesome. I will try it. mine has a 12 post fuse box but should still be able to work that way. just have to figure out the space. thanks.

wokka I may end up putting mine there also. it isn't waterproof at all. I was just wondering about it being in a location that hands go in and out and well electric and I don't play well with each other. so kind of nervous about it being in a location that especially kids get into. of course there are precautions but you know kids, they get past any security measures lol.

• My box has a cover on it, and wires are tucked away, but it's possible if you don't dress the cables, a hand could snag. I didn't dress mine perfectly yet, still have another wire or two to run, and got zip tie mounts with adhesive, so I can put cables at the top and route them out of the way.

I don't have small kids getting in there though, so wasn't a concern.

harder to get to, but you may find a place above the drivers feet to place it, or behind the radio, but even harder to get to.