Innovate SCG-1 AFR?Boost gauge occasionally does not display AFR

• General comment - After seeing @Xclaudio24's post about issues with his O2 sensor, I thought I'd mention a problem with my Innovate SCG-1 AFR/Boost gauge. Occasionally, the gauge doesn't display the AFR reading. Turning off and restarting the engine almost always causes it to start working again. Makes me wonder if there might bew short in the O2 sensor wrie to the gauge. I haven't really worried about it since the ECU uses the other O2 sensor for engine operation. My AFR typically runs in the 15-17 range at idle and drops down to around 12 or so under heavy acceleration, returning to around 14.7 or so at constant speed and sometimes going as high as 22 when I pull my foot off the gas when engine-braking. Since the gauge displays the AFR most of the time, I haven't been in any hurry to replace it since I'm also thinking about switching to a different AFR/Boost gauge like the AEM unit or the waterproof Koso X2 gauge.

• This probably has NOTHING to do with your issues, but if I remember correctly when i was looking at gauges, doesn't the Inovate AFR gauge require a recalibration of the O2 sensor every 6 months or so? While it shouldn't cause it to stop functioning, maybe a simple recalibration of it could solve the problem. Heck, it's a cheap way to find out and if it works, it saves you from buying new gauges.

On a side note, I'm NOT happy with my AEM AFR gauge. The first one dies completely after I owned it for 2 years. Warranty is only one year, so the replacement one was on me. This second one has an issue and it too is now two years old. I'll be damn if I'm going to buy a new gauge every two years. This one has a different failure. Half of the left side led craps out after about 3 minutes of working fine.

Whne I get a chance, I'm going to contact AEM to see how they treat a repeat customer with a second failure. Their decision will help me to decide what company to use for future gauge choices

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• This probably has NOTHING to do with your issues, but if I remember correctly when i was looking at gauges, doesn't the Inovate AFR gauge require a recalibration of the O2 sensor every 6 months or so? While it shouldn't cause it to stop functioning, maybe a simple recalibration of it could solve the problem. Heck, it's a cheap way to find out and if it works, it saves you from buying new gauges.

On a side note, I'm NOT happy with my AEM AFR gauge. The first one dies completely after I owned it for 2 years. Warranty is only one year, so the replacement one was on me. This second one has an issue and it too is now two years old. I'll be damn if I'm going to buy a new gauge every two years. This one has a different failure. Half of the left side led craps out after about 3 minutes of working fine.

Whne I get a chance, I'm going to contact AEM to see how they treat a repeat customer with a second failure. Their decision will help me to decide what company to use for future gauge choices

Thanks for the feedback. After reading your recalibration comment, I checked the SCG-1 manual and realized I'd forgotten about recalibration. I now have just over 12 months/15000 miles on the turbo & gauge, so I guess I'll need to recalibrate the sensor. Sine that process requires me to remove the sensor and disconnect the cable, I guess I'll also see if the gauge still displays the AFR when it's reinstalled. If it doesn't, that should confirm a short in the cabling.

I like the Koso X2 AFR/Boost/Temp gauge since it was originally designed for snowmobiles and is waterproof, but I don't know if it supports data logging. Amazon currently lists the X2 as unavailable, but had previously offered the lowest cost.

I also came across some stuff from Zeitronix, but I've never heard anything about them other than what I saw on https://www.maperformance.com/collections/zeitronix.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Thanks for the feedback. After reading your recalibration comment, I checked the SCG-1 manual and realized I'd forgotten about recalibration. I now have just over 12 months/15000 miles on the turbo & gauge, so I guess I'll need to recalibrate the sensor. Sine that process requires me to remove the sensor and disconnect the cable, I guess I'll also see if the gauge still displays the AFR when it's reinstalled. If it doesn't, that should confirm a short in the cabling.

I like the Koso X2 AFR/Boost/Temp gauge since it was originally designed for snowmobiles and is waterproof, but I don't know if it supports data logging. Amazon currently lists the X2 as unavailable, but had previously offered the lowest cost.

I also came across some stuff from Zeitronix, but I've never heard anything about them other than what I saw on https://www.maperformance.com/collections/zeitronix.

One of the original OG's here Kenny_H has that gauge and it hasn't given him any issues at all. And being waterproof does help a lot when you get stuck in those nasty downpours on your rides

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• General comment - After seeing @Xclaudio24's post about issues with his O2 sensor, I thought I'd mention a problem with my Innovate SCG-1 AFR/Boost gauge. Occasionally, the gauge doesn't display the AFR reading. Turning off and restarting the engine almost always causes it to start working again. Makes me wonder if there might bew short in the O2 sensor wrie to the gauge. I haven't really worried about it since the ECU uses the other O2 sensor for engine operation. My AFR typically runs in the 15-17 range at idle and drops down to around 12 or so under heavy acceleration, returning to around 14.7 or so at constant speed and sometimes going as high as 22 when I pull my foot off the gas when engine-braking. Since the gauge displays the AFR most of the time, I haven't been in any hurry to replace it since I'm also thinking about switching to a different AFR/Boost gauge like the AEM unit or the waterproof Koso X2 gauge.

Mine does the same thing.

Didn't know about re-calibrating

Old dog learns new trick - read instructions

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• We’ve never used the Zeitronix wide band but we have used their ethanol % gauges in a few of our builds. They work well, have been very accurate, and seem to be built well. If you’re looking to try something new I definitely wouldn’t say Stay away from them.

I’ve had a AEM fail safe in my SS for 3 years with zero issues. The data logging feature has been really helpful with tuning and diagnosing. The failsafe feature is pretty cool also if you are running 9psi or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke