helmet laws by state

• [quote='Flybuddy','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8163-helmet-laws-by-state/&postID=294595#post294595']

Common sense would tell me that law enforcement isn't going to interfere too much with any motorcyclist taking off their helmet(s) when obviously stopped in traffic?

Bill

Agree, but the key word there is "stopped"..Going through at Atlanta can be 50+ miles of very slow stop and go

[/quote]

I live in Atlanta and I've never worn a helmet! The only helmeted SS drivers I've ever seen were in rentals. The police usually just give me a wave or a thumbs up in admiration. Been right beside Cobb, Fulton, and GSP cars many times with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I live in Atlanta and I've never worn a helmet! The only helmeted SS drivers I've ever seen were in rentals. The police usually just give me a wave or a thumbs up in admiration. Been right beside Cobb, Fulton, and GSP cars many times with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Theres always one new guy on the job who just got done reading the rule book....'Or the classic ,

I wouldn't have stopped you 'But you did it right in front of me....^^...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Where I may believe that a person that does not wear a helmet on a motorcycle is being totally selfish and uncaring, I do believe that it is their choice. A pet peeve, however, is when a person chooses not wear a helmet where it is legally required and then whines, cries, and otherwise becomes uncivil when they get stopped and cited.

Bill

• Where I may believe that a person that does not wear a helmet on a motorcycle is being totally selfish and uncaring,

Bill

Apparently 31 states are OK with "selfish and uncaring" people. IMO, I believe the other 19 states are selfish and uncaring toward individual rights under the subterfuge of safety when the true concern is possible financial repercussions coupled with a nanny state mentality.

If we're going to worry about societal costs vs individual safety, then we should outlaw hang gliding, bungee jumping, muscle cars, general aviation, skiing, concussive sports, and a host of other "dangerous" activities (and who gets to determine what's dangerous).

Florida handled the helmet law intelligently. If you're an adult, you don't have to wear it BUT, you must have, and be able to prove, adequate health insurance coverage. Regardless, I always wear a helmet on my 2 wheel motorcycle, but I strongly respect the right of others not to wear one.

• Here in California it is the law that I wear a helmet, but even if it were not I think I would still like one, especially out on the highway - Over the years I have had vehicles I was driving hit by rocks, wood & other debris that would kill a person if they were hit in the head. also my little 1/2 helmet that I use except when its really cold is so small that I don't mind it even on the hottest of days

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• My statement has absolutely nothing to do with law. It is where all one needs to do is witness a family and friends looking over a loved one who is a vegetable now simply because of not wearing a helmet. The spouse wondering how they are going to pay the bills, including the on going care of an invalid, the kids who have lost a parent, the best friend that blames themselves wondering if only they had been more insistent, the mother and/or father who have lost their child, this is my definition of selfish and uncaring.

My cousin, May 22, 1992, and he is still a burden on the family today, all because he had to prove he was a man by not wearing a helmet! :cursing:

Bill