helmet laws by state

• Autocycle regulations vary depending on the state. In Oregon the SlingShot is considered an autocycle, which translates that it is a motorcycle that does not require a motorcycle endorsement, but still requires a helmet. Personally, a very "common sense" compromise where the SlingShot is concerned.

Bill

• This is absolutely official.!!! You can add North Carolina to the state list that a helmet is no longer required for autocycles. The Polaris SS is classified as an autocycle in NC. If you need more details, google NC House Bill 211 that has been ratified and signed by the governor. It was effective 1 Oct 2019.

• Autocycle regulations vary depending on the state. In Oregon the SlingShot is considered an autocycle, which translates that it is a motorcycle that does not require a motorcycle endorsement, but still requires a helmet. Personally, a very "common sense" compromise where the SlingShot is concerned.

Bill

Same in Jersey. It is an autocycle. You do not need a motorcycle endorsement but you do need to wear a helmet.

• Helmets not required in Arkansas...

I DO wear one when I'm on the freeway, cause a lug nut to the ole dome at 75 mph can ruin your whole day.

On the other hand, I ALWAYS wear high-impact eye protection; you've only got one pair, and I've seen someone lose an eye before... twice! Not something I want to experience.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Massachusetts currently has a bill introduced recognizing "autocycle".

Where it goes......????? A similar bill was introduced close to 3 years ago and remained tabled until death.

This new bill inserts the word "autocycle" in 4 locations.

It also relaxes licensing requirements to allow any Class D (normal operator) will be valid for autocycle.

Helmets will remain mandatory for both operator and passenger.

• That's good news. Now if passed anyone in Massachusetts who doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement will be able to operate a slingshot!

• That's good news. Now if passed anyone in Massachusetts who doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement will be able to operate a slingshot!

Providing it actually gets to a vote.

Something that many people in Mass don't know about is the "J" endorsement.

It covers three wheeled motorcycles only.

The J endorsement is given if you take the registry test with a trike, slingshot, spyder, mc w/sidecar, etc.

Basically, anything with more than 2 wheels.

Regardless, as the current law stands, you need more than a standard class D to legally operate the Slingshot.

• Got a letter from the state of Maine yesterday. Maine finally went the Outocycle route but they never required a helmet for motorcycles so really doesn't affect me except they don't offer veterans plates for autocycles. The plate actually says autocycle on the bottom where you normally have veteran. Typical government never thinks things through

• Anything new in Georgia? They split off to autocycle and there's no reference to helmets in the new law BUT law enforcement seems to treat them like motorcycles still and enforce helmets. I'd really like to ditch the helmet when I get stuck in Atlanta traffic jams in the summer.

• Anything new in Georgia? They split off to autocycle and there's no reference to helmets in the new law BUT law enforcement seems to treat them like motorcycles still and enforce helmets. I'd really like to ditch the helmet when I get stuck in Atlanta traffic jams in the summer.

Common sense would tell me that law enforcement isn't going to interfere too much with any motorcyclist taking off their helmet(s) when obviously stopped in traffic?

Bill

• Since an auto cycle is not a motorcycle and there's no helmet required in Maine for an autocycle I'm assuming no helmet is valid in any state now

No sir. Still required in Oregon, I'm pretty sure in California, and Washington depends on the Trooper that stops you. I bet there are still others as well.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Since an auto cycle is not a motorcycle and there's no helmet required in Maine for an autocycle I'm assuming no helmet is valid in any state now

I believe that the key word here is "cycle?" In Oregon as an autocycle, the SlingShot can be operated without having a motorcycle endorsement, but a helmet is still required. To me this makes perfect sense.

Bill

• Wonder what would happen if you took it to court? It's kind of ridiculous it's like saying you can drive your car inspected in Maine and California because you don't have the smog equipment . Pretty stupid how this all works for helmet was.

How about having to wear a seat belt in the Slingshot. Have you ever seen a seat belt law for a motorcycle?