2016 Slingshot SL brake failure light, what are my options?

• I just bought a 2016 Polaris Slingshot SL with only 1700 miles on it. Today while drivingit about 20 miles the brake failure like came on. The brakes seem to work fine, no mushyness, no pulling, and no overheating. I’ve noticed a lot of similar threads mentioning sensor failures and warranty repairs. I was wondering what my options are? I can do most any regular vehicle repair on my own having been an ASE certified mechanic before I retired from the field about 20 years ago. So replacing brakes calipers, pads, rotors, bleeding, etc, are no problem for me. The pads, fluid level, and fluid condition are all good (no burnt fluid). But I don’t want to just start throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping I get it right. I would like to know how to diagnose before making repairs. How do I find out what is causing this light to come on?

• Take it to your servicing dealer. There is a service bulletin on the sensor. They can replace it and replace the fluid. Had the same issue. As long as the light is on your cruise control will be inop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I just bought a 2016 Polaris Slingshot SL with only 1700 miles on it. Today while drivingit about 20 miles the brake failure like came on. The brakes seem to work fine, no mushyness, no pulling, and no overheating. I’ve noticed a lot of similar threads mentioning sensor failures and warranty repairs. I was wondering what my options are? I can do most any regular vehicle repair on my own having been an ASE certified mechanic before I retired from the field about 20 years ago. So replacing brakes calipers, pads, rotors, bleeding, etc, are no problem for me. The pads, fluid level, and fluid condition are all good (no burnt fluid). But I don’t want to just start throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping I get it right. I would like to know how to diagnose before making repairs. How do I find out what is causing this light to come on?

There are two problems with the brake switches. You have the switches on the master cylinder and you also have the magnetic switch on the brake pedal. A lot of us have replaced the magnetic switch on the brake pedal with the old style mechanical switch.

• If you also lost use of your Cruise Control, it's definitely the brake sensors. Their only purpose is to disable the CC as the brake lights are controlled by the switch on the brake pedal. The brake sensors are supposed to be a free repair thru the end of 2020, unless Polaris cheaps out and rescinds the free replacement..

• If I remember correctly the pedal switch also lets the brake light stay on also and will not let you use cruise. Back in 15 and 16 in Maggie I followed 2 or three Slings that their brake lights stayed on

I believe the brake light is triggered by the switch on the brake pedal arm and if the lights stay one signifies a problem with the magnetic switch Polaris uses. Folks have replaced that switch with a physical switch from NAPA, IIRC, but I can't remember the specific pn.

• I believe the brake light is triggered by the switch on the brake pedal arm and if the lights stay one signifies a problem with the magnetic switch Polaris uses. Folks have replaced that switch with a physical switch from NAPA, IIRC, but I can't remember the specific pn.

You are correct and I was one of the first ones to change over to the mechanical switch. Like I said also you could not use the cruise if the brake lights are on.

• Welcome to the madness Dpanetta as other have mentioned if could be one of two things have someone stand behind and apply the brakes if they come on/off normally then it's the pressure switches which is a free repair on Polaris, some shady dealers try to charge you for the bleed but that should also be included for free.

Feel free to drive the slingshot since brake capacity is not diminished.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• WOW! I saw a few posts about the brake issue, but they were dated back in 2016. So I did not expect so many people providing useful insight into how to address this issue. Thank you everyone! I will be calling the dealership tomorrow.

• You are correct and I was one of the first ones to change over to the mechanical switch. Like I said also you could not use the cruise if the brake lights are on.

Makes sense about not being able to use the CC if the brake lights are on since using the brakes is supposed to disable the CC. I was lucky enough to never have trouble with the brake switch, just the brake pressure sensors. Once I applied the brakes, the sensors continued to make the system think the brakes were still applied even though the brake lights had turned off when I removed my foot from the brake pedal.

• Makes sense about not being able to use the CC if the brake lights are on since using the brakes is supposed to disable the CC. I was lucky enough to never have trouble with the brake switch, just the brake pressure sensors. Once I applied the brakes, the sensors continued to make the system think the brakes were still applied even though the brake lights had turned off when I removed my foot from the brake pedal.

Just proves that you do not know all and was putting out misinformation

• ......... nerd-squared

Thank you Orangeman. After talking to my local Polaris dealership, they told me that the brake issue was not a recall, but a "Service Advisory" like you quoted. Their reply included a statement that they were going to contact Polaris to see what they can do to help. I have a service appointment this Saturday to get my hood closing issue straightened out. (the hood is VERY hard to open and close fully. No broken cables, just adjustments needed) I will be bringing a copy of the service advisory you posted, just in case it is needed to repair the brake sensor under the 'good will' parts and labor coverage.

• Thank you Orangeman. After talking to my local Polaris dealership, they told me that the brake issue was not a recall, but a "Service Advisory" like you quoted. Their reply included a statement that they were going to contact Polaris to see what they can do to help. I have a service appointment this Saturday to get my hood closing issue straightened out. (the hood is VERY hard to open and close fully. No broken cables, just adjustments needed) I will be bringing a copy of the service advisory you posted, just in case it is needed to repair the brake sensor under the 'good will' parts and labor coverage.

Hm..... I would get a different dealer, it sounds like your dealer hasn't deal with many slingshot or they are trying to get you to pay for it.

My dealer (Sport Rider) all he ask is the you give him a heads-up to make sure he has switches in stock then you stop by and 1 hour later you are out the door and all you owe is a hand shake, none of that we have to contact Polaris crap.

• Hm..... I would get a different dealer, it sounds like your dealer hasn't deal with many slingshot or they are trying to get you to pay for it.

My dealer (Sport Rider) all he ask is the you give him a heads-up to make sure he has switches in stock then you stop by and 1 hour later you are out the door and all you owe is a hand shake, none of that we have to contact Polaris crap.

I appreciate your feedback. There are people that are just hard to deal with, and there are those that may just be having a bad day but are normally good people. I am hoping it is just the ladder, but I am going prepared for the worse just in case I am wrong. I sincerely hope this is a good dealer. This shop is only 15 minutes from my home, and it is a BIG shop. The next closest is over two hours away.

• I appreciate your feedback. There are people that are just hard to deal with, and there are those that may just be having a bad day but are normally good people. I am hoping it is just the ladder, but I am going prepared for the worse just in case I am wrong. I sincerely hope this is a good dealer. This shop is only 15 minutes from my home, and it is a BIG shop. The next closest is over two hours away.

I have one of the largest dealer in the state 2 miles from my house yet I drive 120 miles to sport rider, that "big" dealer has the mentality that they are doing you a favor by working on your machines rather than it being a service that you are paying for.

The "big" dealer won't even set appointments, all they ever say is "yeah bring it and leave it here and we will get to it eventually".... then your sling sits outside rain/shine for several days, all of my toys are kept in a temperature controlled garage so the idea of leaving them out in the sun/rain for several days is an absolute no no in my book.

Back on topic, the brake light issue has been around for over 2 years and the Service Bulletin has been for at least a year so any dealer that at this point in time doesn't know how to immediately solve it and gives the "have to contact polaris" is either severely lacking on knowledge or is up to no good, either way I would run.

• I appreciate your feedback. There are people that are just hard to deal with, and there are those that may just be having a bad day but are normally good people. I am hoping it is just the ladder, but I am going prepared for the worse just in case I am wrong. I sincerely hope this is a good dealer. This shop is only 15 minutes from my home, and it is a BIG shop. The next closest is over two hours away.

Maybe the guy you talked to isn’t the one that sees the notices....he could just be a scheduler..

There is a Harley dearer right down the road that had an attitude....if you’re buying a new bike you’re king...if you’re coming for service you’re the toilet scrubber..you’re not spending enough money.

• Thank you everyone who provided advice on this issue. Especially Orangeman. Having the service bulletin with me definitely helped me, and the dealership. They have ordered the parts needed, and I will be returning to the dealership this Friday to have the brake failure light problem repaired, free of charge (weather permitting).

• Update, I arrived at the dealership, and they were very friendly and accommodating. They had the parts waiting, and brought the slingshot into their service bay within 30 minutes of my arrival. When they were completed with the brake repairs, they checked the onboard diagnostics computer, cleared out any extraneous codes, and provided me a complete report of all the recalls and service bulletins that my Slingshot had been serviced for in the past, regardless of which dealership it was serviced at. I am very happy to say that all of the recalls and service bulletins that pertained to my Slingshot have been addressed now, and that I have a very thorough dealership local to my home that can provide service when needed.